Losing weight too quickly?

Options
I know I've read and heard so much on losing weight too quickly being hard on your body. I have a fairly active job most days and I've increased my activity at home (just helping around the house a lot more).

I got back on MFP and started tracking my calories again and hitting the calorie goals easily (occasionally well under them). However, I was a bit concerned when I stepped on the scale and my weight had dropped 8 pounds in the matter of 3 days. I know my net calories aren't THAT low. My girlfriend and I are doing weigh ins every 3 days, but I cheated this morning and hopped on the scale to see if maybe there was something goofy with it, but I looked down and it read another loss of 1.2 pounds... in a day.

I'm staying well hydrated, usually 10-12 glasses of water a day plus a gatorade. I'm wondering if this is just the affect of the huge change in diet I made ... I used to eat all kinds of junk at work, I would guess daily I was pulling in around 4000 - 4500 calories. So I'm thinking this just may be my body adjusting to the big swing in calories. Should I have gradually stepped down my caloric intake, or was this the right move I just need to give my body the time it needs to adjust?

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's very common the first couple weeks to have huge losses. It's mostly water weight from eating less sodium, drinking more water, and making healthier choices. Totally nothing to worry about. Enjoy it, because the losses will even out soon!
  • dmelvin3737
    dmelvin3737 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I figured this was the case. There's no way that this pace could keep up.

Thanks.