Your opinion on supplements

Options
I am interested to know others take on herbal/vitamin/mineral supplements? Are they a waste of time or essential with today's western diet?

Personally I take only take supplements I know I lack, i.e. fish oil as I don't get the chance to eat much fish any more. I also take Rhodiola for anxiety/energy, definitely a believer in herbal treatments. If herbsworked for humans for the last few thousand years then they will work today, the trick part is ensuring your supplements are made from quality ingredients.

What's your opinion?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    IME (work in lifestyle healthcare) most people supplement relatively indiscriminately or without any real understanding/ poor quality research, they can easily do more harm than good. People use herbal remedies or micronutrients when simple diet modification would be as effective or better. Vitamin D or DHA/ EPA when they should be eating oily fish, herbs for mental health issues when they could simply be having the relevant micronutrients (D, magnesium etc). No supplement makes up for a poor diet.

To me the trick is correct diagnosis and correct choice of treatment, as with any other area of healthcare/ medicine. Herbal remedies are effective when correctly prescribed and carefully combined by an expert, people have not been self prescribing for thousands of years after reading a handful of online articles they were respected as medicines.
  • CynthiaBewley
    Options
    Supplements are useful for people who do not have access to healthy food regularly. It is true however that not a lot is known about the other perhaps unwanted effects of supplements, and the FDA does not monitor these supplements in a safe way. People who make them pretty much are in control of monitoring themselves, which as we know can have really bad side effects.

Personally, I do not take supplements. I try to maintain a healthy, balanced diet full of lots of vegetables and fruits. However, if I did not have access to a variety of vegetables or simply could not afford anything other than basic carbs, I would definitely consider supplements.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I take some herbalife supplements. Total Control which is a metabolism booster ( naturally through green tea ) and Thermo-Bond which is a fiber tablet. I also take liquid chlorophyll but that's because I am anemic and I find it a better alternative to iron pills.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i think they're necessary in western diets because we just don't get enough fruits, veggies, vitamins and minerals in our diets.

Most of our vitamin D levels are shockingly low. Same with B vitamins.

I personally take:

Shakeology (superfoods/vitamin and mineral rich shake)
    Fish Oil
    D3
    B12
    Papaya Enzymes (digestive enzymes)
    Zinc on occasion

Others I take for fun:

Chloroxygen (oxygenates the blood)
    Oregano Oil (boosts the immune system)
  • isabellaconord
    Options
    supplements work for your health but don't look for a miraculous weight loss pill...as much as we want them to exist they simply don't..been there done that :)
    you are better off buying a new pair of sneakers or even by some healthy foods :)
    Good luck!
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    supplements work for your health but don't look for a miraculous weight loss pill...as much as we want them to exist they simply don't..been there done that :)
    you are better off buying a new pair of sneakers or even by some healthy foods :)
    Good luck!

I agree, too many people out there look for a magic pill that will make it all better.

The only reason I take supplements is because because my GP perscribed them. I grew up on a diet rich in seafood but now that I live in Melbourne I just can't afford fresh fish (I won't eat frozen, too fussy from years of catching my own) so I miss out on all the nutrients from that. Also having IBS, my body doesn't process some foods as well as others, so I miss out on some vitamins/minerals.

People should NEVER self perscribe supplements. Some, such as a iron for vegans or extra vitamin c during winter won't hurt, but 9 times out of 10 they are not needed.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    i think they're necessary in western diets because we just don't get enough fruits, veggies, vitamins and minerals in our diets.

I personally take:

Fish Oil
    D3
    B12
    Zinc on occasion

Others I take for fun:

Firstly, most of us here dont have a 'typical western diet', and therefore don't fit your first judgement.

The bold section further illustrates your level of credibility.

To the OP, I think most people should take an omega-3 supplement as there are no real downsides to fish oil supps in the diet and they are also relatively cheap for the potential benefits they can provide. A good multi is optional (I think of it like a micro-nutrient insurance policy).

Other than that if you have a specific medical issue that requires you to take a supplement then please do, otherwise you are probably micromanaging to a level that is not required in most cases.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that if you're eating a low calorie diet, you probably aren't getting all the vitamins and minerals you need, so a multivitamin is a good idea

That being said, I am a firm user of Flintstone Vitamins! Lol Better than nothing, right?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I personally take:

Fish Oil
    D3
    B12
    Zinc on occasion

Others I take for fun:

Firstly, most of us here dont have a 'typical western diet', and therefore don't fit your first judgement.

The bold section further illustrates your level of credibility.

To the OP, I think most people should take an omega-3 supplement as there are no real downsides to fish oil supps in the diet and they are also relatively cheap for the potential benefits they can provide. A good multi is optional (I think of it like a micro-nutrient insurance policy).

Other than that if you have a specific medical issue that requires you to take a supplement then please do, otherwise you are probably micromanaging to a level that is not required in most cases.

1) of course most of the folks on here have a typical western diet. lol are you serious? go check out the thread going right now called "fast food" and you'll see dozens of people talking about their favorites!

2) explain to me why my using shakeology and building a beachbody business means I have no credibility when it comes to nutrition? if I drank shakeology, hawked it, and ate like crap the rest of the day THAT would give me no credibility.

come on man.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Supplements are useful for people who do not have access to healthy food regularly.

While I wholeheartedly agree with this statement in SOME instances, it's not necessarily the only reason for taking a supplement. I have access to healthy food regularly, but I take calcium twice daily because I have a dairy allergy and have found that I have a difficult time obtaining adequate levels of calcium every day without supplementation. I also take magnesium and vitamin B complex at the advice of my neurologist for my chronic migraines.
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I've always been told that if you're eating a low calorie diet, you probably aren't getting all the vitamins and minerals you need, so a multivitamin is a good idea

That being said, I am a firm user of Flintstone Vitamins! Lol Better than nothing, right?

I've always used the Flintstones :tongue:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Supplements are useful for people who do not have access to healthy food regularly.

While I wholeheartedly agree with this statement in SOME instances, it's not necessarily the only reason for taking a supplement. I have access to healthy food regularly, but I take calcium twice daily because I have a dairy allergy and have found that I have a difficult time obtaining adequate levels of calcium every day without supplementation. I also take magnesium and vitamin B complex at the advice of my neurologist for my chronic migraines.

have you tried almond milk? 50% more calcium than regular dairy milk - may not have to supplement!
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options

have you tried almond milk? 50% more calcium than regular dairy milk - may not have to supplement!

Thanks! Yes, that's what I use for EVERYTHING, but I can't just drink a glass. It's not the same! I do use it for my coffee, oatmeal, cereal, cooking, etc... somedays I get enough in, but most days - no!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

1) of course most of the folks on here have a typical western diet. lol are you serious? go check out the thread going right now called "fast food" and you'll see dozens of people talking about their favorites!

2) explain to me why my using shakeology and building a beachbody business means I have no credibility when it comes to nutrition? if I drank shakeology, hawked it, and ate like crap the rest of the day THAT would give me no credibility.

come on man.

OK, I may have been a little quick to judge, but those of us that have been around here a while are very wary of BB coaches and their over-zealous attempts to flog their miracle weight loss supplements. I would be very happy to be proven wrong!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

come on man.

OK, I may have been a little quick to judge, but those of us that have been around here a while are very wary of BB coaches and their over-zealous attempts to flog their miracle weight loss supplements. I would be very happy to be proven wrong!

haha oh i know we get a bad reputation. most people do it to make a quick buck - which is stupid because that's impossible unless you're the worlds greatest salesman - which i'm not, and don't want to be. ;)
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, d3, fish oil horse pills, b12 complex. Not every day. Maybe once or twice a week depending on what I am eating.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I think people can be too quick to use them, when perhaps they don't need them. Generally things are better absorbed from whole foods.

Sometimes -- for a variety of reasons -- a person cannot get enough though.

I personally supplement with B-12 because I have trouble absorbing enough from diet alone, and developed pernicious anemia so my doctor had me start supplementing.

I also take a multivitamin with a very high dose of Vitamin D on the recommendation of my neurologist to help with my MS as I need a ridiculously high amount for it to be therapeutic for the MS. I also need to increase my omega 3 intake (I don't eat seafood) per my neuro, for the same reason. However, as a therapeutic daily intake of omega 3's for folks with MS isn't as ridiculously high as vitamin D, he'd like me to try to do it through whole foods. (I was just diagnosed, which is why I'm just getting on these dietary things for it).
  • freeofweight
    Options
    I'm considering trying raspberry keytones. Has anyone tried them?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you're getting in your daily macros/micros through the ingestion of good food, you probably don't need more than a multi vitamin and fish oil.

I used to be a supplement junkie. Up to 50 pills a day. Then I did actual research with peer reviewed clinical studies from reputable journals of medicine and other reputable studies from Universities, schools of medicine, etc.

My opinion now? Most supplements AREN'T needed or aren't that effective contrary to what's advertised. The few that I have real faith in are creatine, whey protein and beta alanine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I also take Rhodiola for anxiety/energy, definitely a believer in herbal treatments. I
    What's your opinion?

Interesting. I will have to look into Rhodiola. I take a vitamin B-50 complex for anxiety and it is actually helping me as well as my husband since he started taking it. I am quite surprised because I was skeptical at first. You should google "anxiety and B vitamins". There is some good information available. Aside form that,. I take a basic multivitamin and a kelp supplement for my thyroid.