How do you feel about yoga?

Options
I'm thinking about joining a gym with yoga classes, but I wanted to get some opinions on it before hand. Do you do yoga, and if so how does it affect you. Do you feel like you're getting a good workout? Do you feel like you're getting toned? Should I combine yoga with other workouts? Is there beginner classes I should take? Any opinions appreciated. :)

Replies

• shannahrenee
    Options
    yoga is a great workout. do not underestimate it!
  • tinasnyder
    Options
    I love yoga for my off work out days. Focusing on breathing and stretching makes me feel great. Seems to be helping tone up my arms and abs. It does not burn a lot of calories though. Most days I do cardio and strength training and then once or twice a week I do yoga.
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it will help you or not, I started Yoga last year in September. I do the P90X yoga routine. When I first started I was suprised at how much of a sweat I worked up, the poses were hard. The dvd is 90 minutes and I always tried to put it off.:embarassed: ..but I have to say, ..... I made myself stick with it and I love it.:bigsmile: I do work up a sweat, but the feelings I get from being grounded and relaxed are great and I also am getting a lot more flexable. I enjoy it now and actually look forward to it...so if you do decide and maybe don't love it at first....give it a try for a few months..you'll be glad you did...I was:bigsmile:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend yoga both for its own benefits and also for the positive effect it has on other exercises. The flexibility and controlled breathing are very helpful in many sports. I find it complements and enhances my workouts.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I love Yoga. I was doing it last year to help my muscles recover from a car accident and then stopped doing it for no reason at all. I really enjoyed how stretched out and lengthed I felt. It helped so much with my posture.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I've done yoga classes that were more relaxing and ones that my legs were shaking from because they were so intense of a work out. Either way, at the end of it, when you lay on the mat and do your deep breathing, you feel amazingly grounded and wonderful.

So yes, LOVE IT.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about joining a gym with yoga classes, but I wanted to get some opinions on it before hand. Do you do yoga, and if so how does it affect you. Do you feel like you're getting a good workout? Do you feel like you're getting toned? Should I combine yoga with other workouts? Is there beginner classes I should take? Any opinions appreciated. :)

Yoga at the gym can be hit or miss. Do they say what type of yoga classes they offer? Do they charge more for their classes?

Yoga classes can be a workout or not - depends on the type of yoga (for yoga types, go here: http://www.yoga4peace.org/yoga_styles.html or take the quiz at yoga journal's website). Some beginner's classes are really easy and a great after a workout - for some people they are the workout.

I use yoga as my strength training (I do yoga 6x a week, and I'm also a teacher) - but not for cardio.

The main advice I can give is try different yoga classes. They are so varied.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've done the P90X yoga (which is quite a workout!) but I don't have time to do 90 minutes at a time. So I've utilized some other DVDs and I start a yoga-pilates fusion class tomorrow. Yoga definitely helped me with stretching my muscles and with flexibility. I say go for it!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga semi-regularly for a few years (anywhere from 1-4 times/week). I have seen big gains in my core strength, balance and flexibility. I do other exercise, too (bodyweight circuit training and long, brisk walks mostly plus a lot of biking in the summer). My major advice echos a lot of what others have said and that is that it might take several classes (possibly from several different instructors) to really see if you like it. Don't get discouraged if you are lost the first day or feel like you can't do the poses "right". First of all, a good instructor should help you with your alignment and secondly, you should only go as far in a pose as your body will allow. Don't push yourself to match others in the class. With practice, you can probably get there. And sometimes, different bodies just allow for different things.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I love yoga. I need to get back to it. I started exercising with a yoga class.

It's generally not cardio. Don't expect to burn lots of calories. HOWEVER, it is great for muscular endurance and strengthen, so it DOES burn calories. Don't underestimate the tone you will see in your body if you go to a weekly yoga class.

I loved the flexibility it gave me.
    I loved the breathing techniques. The extra oxygen I was breathing helped me to de-stress a bit more.
    I loved the challenge. My legs and arms gave out so often when I first started. I could tell such a difference in my muscle tone and endurance over time, as I was able to hold the poses longer and longer.
    I love the balance I was able to achieve by working on the poses.
    I love taking the poses from yoga and using them during my cool down stretches after I jog.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If they have a beginner's class, take it. Otherwise, just tell the yogi that you've never done yoga before. If a position hurts, don't do it. :)