To perm or not to perm HELP!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Nononoooo! People still get perms? The last perm I had was in 1987...I know so many people who would love to straighten their hair that I didn't realize anyone was till getting a perm. :tongue:

My thoughts, exactly.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    go to your hairdresser and have your hair set (ie. like Nannas do each week) and see what you think of it.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No - don't perm your hair. Perms are very damaging to your hair.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I would say no!!! and a perm seems so old lady like :)

I flat iron my hair everyday and dye it, and I have now, after 7 years started to see some damage.. I can only imagine what all those chemicals would do.

Maybe find some rollers or learn to do it with a brush/blow dryer.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a picture on my computer of me when I had a perm. It would convince you that perms are never the answer.

I had a perm done in grade 3, I am now 32... and I wish I had a picture too!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    people still use perms?
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    It's damaging and will break your hair over time-- every touch up fries your hair a little more and will eventually cause your hair to break off. There are lots of other things you can do to have curls. You could rollers instead. You can even buy perm rollers at a beauty supply store for really cheap to get the same curls. My suggestion for easy curls and no fuss hair in the morning to use a sock bun (really easy to do and TONS of videos on Youtube show you how). Another method for tighter curls is to cut up thin pieces of fabric and wrap small sections of dampened hair around the fabric and tie it-- pretty much what ladies who wanted curls did in the old days. I hear those two last methods are very comfy to sleep in too so there's that. As an extra bonus, those methods won't damage your hair (not even heat damage).
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Love the hair you have and keep it healthy.

If you don't like your hair, find a geat salon, where you can describe your lifestyle, how much time you want to spend on your hair, and what kind of options you want regarding the style. A good stylist can make suggestions on flattering cuts that will work specifically for YOU! :-) A great haircut is worth the cost, and won't damage your hair.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend it either. For starters, your hair will be very short after it is done if it is shoulder length now. If you want to go curly, on occasion, get a nice ceramic curling iron and some heat protector spray then do your own style. It doesn't take long. Youtube has lots of tutorials. best of all, it's not permanent if it doesn't turn out. :tongue:
    I wish I had a picture on my computer of me when I had a perm. It would convince you that perms are never the answer.

I had a perm done in grade 3, I am now 32... and I wish I had a picture too!!

:laugh: I had one in grade 5, I am 31 now. It was so tight that I had a big poof of curls. I was a husky kid with a round face too so you can imagine the look LMAO.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    people still use perms?

I thought only "people of color" still used them to straighten their hair. I just bought a flat-iron myself and haven't had a perm since the late 80s.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Love the hair you have and keep it healthy.

If you don't like your hair, find a geat salon, where you can describe your lifestyle, how much time you want to spend on your hair, and what kind of options you want regarding the style. A good stylist can make suggestions on flattering cuts that will work specifically for YOU! :-) A great haircut is worth the cost, and won't damage your hair.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

^^^ This

The right cut and maybe even some highlights will make you feel brand new.
  • sjeanmarie2014
    Options
    I wouldn't. Perms and relaxers badly damages hair.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....how to add a perm into my food diary...this is the food and nutrition section of the site after all! lol:laugh:

Oh, and no, I wouldn't perm either!
  • teresa0331
    teresa0331 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No perm. You think you want it until you've done it! LOL
  • msnailgun
    Options
    I've never been crazy about putting chemicals on my head. But, what everyone does is their business. Maybe try one that just puts body in it and not super curls. My hair is so naturally curly people think I have a perm. LOL If you do it and don't like it, it's only temporary and will come out. Which is why I never understood why them called it a permanent when it's temporary; it should be called a temp. LOL Good luck.