What Should I get Instead?

Options
Im going food shopping in a few days and was wondering what sweetener i sould get for my tea?I have always used surgar but are there better sweeteners that are better for dieting?and also what oils are the best for cooking?I know that extra virgi olive oil is the top on this list but are there any others i should know about?and what type/brand of butter is better?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Stevia or xylitol for sweetening, olive oil is good avoid those containing omega-6 polyunsaturates, you could consider coconut oil which the body prefers to burn rather than store. Limit or avoid butter when dieting, the body finds it fairly easy to convert animal fats to bodyfat.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    That is not true about the use of butter. Cite a research study on that, please. I use limited amounts of butter. . . it's real food and it's really delicious. I log the calories and don't overdo it.
  • madelineyo
    Options
    I usually use a little less than a teaspoon to sweeten my hot tea and green tea. Honey does have more calories than regular sugar (I believe it's 22 per teaspoon of honey and 14 ish per teaspoon of sugar), but honey is a healthy alternative because it has vitamins as opposed to sugar.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    grapeseed oil is great for cooking veggies.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That is not true about the use of butter. Cite a research study on that, please. I use limited amounts of butter. . . it's real food and it's really delicious. I log the calories and don't overdo it.

truth...
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options

truth...

i meant about butter being ok :p
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    don't use olive oil for cooking, it doesn't handle temperature change very well. The best option for cooking with is coconut oil, it tolerates high heat very well, and if you get extra virgin the flavor won't transfer into most of the stuff you cook in it (Costco just started selling Nutvia, the brand I use, it may seem a little expensive but you don't need much and the large jars last a long time). And I LOVE Xylitol for sweetener! I was a HUGE white sugar fan, and xylitol is the closest I found and it doesn't have any aftertaste like stevia. It, however, is not 0 calorie, it has 5 cals per packet but only 2g carbs (which is what really counts). A bit of butter is great for eggs or other mildly flavored foods that may take on a little coconut flavor, just log it and don't overdo it.