Cruise eating, how to cope

Options
First cruise, called a 9 pounder - meaning you wil probably gain nine pounds - suggestions how to cope with this...

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Don't consume 31,500 extra calories or don't go on the cruise and you won't gain nine pounds. People gain that much because they are consistently hugely greedy/ lazy not by modestly overeating or drinking more than usual. It's not 'free' if it's going to cost you more time and money to get it off than put it on.
  • DianaJaneD
    DianaJaneD Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are cruisers and going on another one this month. What helps me is to be mindful. When the meal is going to be where there are the numerous buffet tables, I peruse all the options and see what's there before I put anything on my plate. Then I choose reasonable portions of what I want, aiming to make most of it healthy choices. In the dining room, where a meal is chosen from the menu, I try to choose one of the healthier options and eat only a couple bites of dessert. My belief is that on a cruise, you should enjoy yourself, just not go crazy and eat tons of food just because it's there and you alread "paid" for it. Also what helps is lots of deliberate walking and taking the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible. Good luck and have a great time! By the way, the picture of me is my "before" picture. I'm now 75 lbs. lighter!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Just don't overeat...it's not any different than any other time, a lot of cruises have a gym, or a pool, or something on board where you can exercise. So do that! and eat mostly healthy foods so you can have things you actually really want, don't just grab this that is sort of good looking because it's "free" if it's really bad for you, choose that 1 or 2 things that you really really really want that are bad for you and eat the rest healthy. Also, portion, if you really must have 5 of those bad for you foods, have really small portions of each, like 1-2 bites of each. And only put that much on your plate.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the shtick out of it and hit the gym every day!!!
  • kslibbin
    kslibbin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been on 2 cruises and it's about not only being mindful of the food but the alcohol. People see the coconut drinks or drinks with umbrellas and slam those back all day. The cruise has very good healthy food if you choose wisely but also your portions. Going on my 3rd in March and the food on the cruise is the last of my worries! :D
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Portion control just the same as every other day. People seem to think because it's all inclusive that they have to pound back as much food and drink as they can.