I'm new & hopefully almost there!

Options
Hi all! I'm Lisa, Army wife and mom to six who's successfully lost close to 40 lbs in almost a year! In fact, end of March will be my year dietoversary! I've posted my pictures on my blog here http://www.crazyadventuresinparenting.com/2010/02/weight-loss-update-and-new-fitness.html

I've used the Wii Fit (and WiiFit Plus), EAS Active and EAS Active More Workouts. For the month of march I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD, I'm going onto day 4 :)

I've also changed the way I eat and don't really consider myself dieting, I consider my choices healthy. I'd love to eat more clean food, though. Does anyone here do that?

I'm scared, though, because some time this year I'll have to go in for abdominal surgery to repair my abdominal wall, which is separating, as well as repair an umbilical hernia. I'm afraid this is going to derail my fitness efforts while I heal. Has anyone here experienced something similar - losing weight, surgery, recovery then coming back to fitness again? I'm soo nervous about losing my mojo and not being "the same", you know?!

Anyway, I'm so excited to be here, I think counting my calories and tracking what I eat will help me be successful in losing the remaining 10-ish lbs I want to lose.

Replies

• MarshJulie1989
    Options
    I wouldn't consider any set back from surgery "derailing"
    Just be good about watching your caloric intake, eat the right foods, and you'll be fine. Since you've tried to make your weight-loss efforts about being healthy, it's important to remember that this surgery is about your body in the long run. Maybe you gain...five lbs due to pain preventing you from being active. This doesn't mean your efforts have been for nothing, nor does it make the surgery "bad".
    Chill out. Relax. You've lost this weight at a really good pace and considering you've been maintaining this lifestyle for awhile you should have no problem getting back into the groove. Trust yourself.
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    Congratulations on how great you've done. I've lost 70 pounds so far over the last 2 years and have quite a ways to go, but am doing it just like you. No diets! Just adding exercise and making much healthier food choices. I'm always looking for motivation anywhere I can get it. If it can't be a way of life then whenever you go off it's going to come back.
    Good luck with your surgery. I really believe you will do ok with your healthy habits afterward. I'd love to hear how it goes for you afterward. Fell free to add me as a friend if you want to.
  • CrazyAdventures
    CrazyAdventures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!

@MarshJulie1989 - I hadn't thought about it that way, thank you for your outlook. My biggest fear with it all is that my body won't react the same as it once did, perhaps I won't be as strong, or it won't come "back".

@marjaskow Congratulations to you! Wonderfully done! I wasn't aware we could friend people on here, how do I do that?
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The great thing about muscle is it has memory! It'll come back quickly if you workout hard again when you are healed.

I had the umbilical hernia surgery... those babies do wonders to our bodies don't they? And you had 6!!! You rock! I could only put myself through 2 pregnancies!

After 2 weeks I was back to the gym doing weights... no ab work and light cardio. After 3 weeks I could run again. I didn't have to have my stomach repaired though, just the hernia. I bet you'll be back at the gym in 3-4 weeks and back to normal at 5-6 weeks! You'll do fine!!! I don't see this as a set back either. Take the time to refuel, refresh and relax. Use the time you spent exercising to read a book or do something fulfilling for you while you heal! That's what I did. It was a nice recharge!

OH! And congrats on your weight loss!!! You rock!
  • CrazyAdventures
    CrazyAdventures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, many times over! You're absolutely right, muscle does have memory, I will get it back and I will hopefully be back to normal in no time.

Since you've been through the surgery before, do you mind if I friend you? :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!