Do you have a time limit to when you stop eating?

Options

Replies

• melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I ate a burrito at 3:30 AM. It may have been a disaster the next afternoon, but I was drunk. Oh, wait.. That's sort of a bad story for this forum ;-)

I eat up until 9:00 PM. (Just had a bowl of bran flakes and almond milk) I think it's fine since I usually don't go to bed until midnight.
  • amynicole83
    amynicole83 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use to do that but it wasn't realist from my lifestyle. I have stopped eating fruits after 2:00pm, there is a lot of sugar in fruit. I am also trying to cut back on carbs at night. But if my cravings are that strong I end up giving in.
  • jdavis36
    jdavis36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Have a bedtime snack, just change from chips and junk to and apple and a green tea....or another easy to digest fruit or veggie.
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat wile sleeping. Sleep eating is a nasty beast.

:-)
  • kimberleymk25
    Options
    I just saw a report that you can try to do all your eating within an 8 hr time period 3 days a week....that way you can have some flexibility & not feel guilty about eating late.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I try to finish chewing and swallow the last bite before I fall asleep. Any later than that creates the possibility of a choking hazard.

Meal/nutrient timing is completely irrelevant. So is eating/not eating (carbs/fat/proteins) after a certain hour. Your metabolism functions 24 hours a day. Calories in < calories out is all that matters for weight loss. Weight gain/loss does not work on a 24-hour clock - it's not as if your body pauses at midnight (or any other arbitrary hour), tallies your calories for the day and decides whether to put on or take off pounds. It's a continually ongoing process.
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually stop eating before 6pm. Just never seem to crave for food in the evening. I drink tea or water instead. Morning until 1pm is the time when I am the hungriest.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I try to finish chewing and swallow the last bite before I fall asleep. Any later than that creates the possibility of a choking hazard.

Meal/nutrient timing is completely irrelevant. So is eating/not eating (carbs/fat/proteins) after a certain hour. Your metabolism functions 24 hours a day. Calories in < calories out is all that matters for weight loss. Weight gain/loss does not work on a 24-hour clock - it's not as if your body pauses at midnight (or any other arbitrary hour), tallies your calories for the day and decides whether to put on or take off pounds. It's a continually ongoing process.

^This. Don't waste your time and energy on something that doesn't matter. Losing weight and getting fit is plenty hard enough as it is. Focus on what matters and enjoy your life! Of course, if timing helps you stay under your calories goal then by all means do it.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Perfect and it saves me typing essentially the same thing. The "don't eat before bedtime" is an ongoing myth that won't die.

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_250/285_metabolism-myths.html

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/35320/35323/432544.html?d=dmtHMSContent
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, i try to stop eating after i go to sleep and refrain from eating until i wake up. Any time other than that I'm good to go
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I wait to go to bed for 3-4 hours after a big meal, 1 hour after a snack.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I never stop. I get my boyfriend to stay up at night and ladle stew into my mouth as i sleep.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    When i am not hungry or have no calories left.
  • twinders1
    Options
    :laugh: Hilarious!
  • ColleenHollis
    Options
    I notice that if I have a snack after 6pm the weight stays on. I had read an article once that Dr. Mercola wrote about using that time period as a fasting made a huge difference. So I tried it. My problem is bad habits. I love to eat after the day is all settled. I think that is where I splurge the most. Soooo, for me the best thing is to avoid eating and try tea, gum anything instead. I eat something by 10 am but try to get a workout in first on the empty stomach. By the way, everyone is different on how the body reacts. Test things out and see how it goes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    my body can't tell time. I eat when it makes sense for me, not for the clock

I like this answer ^
  • Andreinne
    Options
    I don't personally have a time limit.....although well, maybe one hour before I'm planning on going to bed, since I usually have really weird dreams if I eat and go to sleep.
    As for the fear of gaining weight if you eat late at night.....I don't think it matters as long as you're counting the calories and not going over your limit....
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat anything after dinner, and usually eat dinner before 6. If I eat a late dinner here and there it's not the end of the world, neither is a snack but I don't make that a habit.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I eat constantly. 24/7/365. It's the only way to keep my metabolic fire aroarin'.