Exercise...does time of day matter?

Options
Is there anything proven that exercising say in the AM as opposed to the PM more beneficial? I struggle to get up before work to get my exercise in, but if it really is better for me then I might be more motivated to do so rather then at the end of the day. Any facts on this? Or opinions? Thanks!

Replies

• lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter what time of day you exercise. I like to do it at night because it's the only time i have the living room to myself and it helps me sleep. I also like running at night rather than during the day :P
  • always_odd
    always_odd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. However, doing it in the morning, if only a little bit, kickstarts your metabolism :)
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Personally, I may work out as late as 10:00 pm. I used to try to force myself to do it early in the morning, but I could never keep it up for long. I think whatever schedule is sustainable works best.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    NO
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Monday through Thursday, I workout twice a day, at noon and again at 8:30 or 9:00pm.
    Forget the 5-Hour Energy drinks, that noon workout pumps me up for the rest of the day.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies that say that regardless of what time of day you work out, your body gets used to working out at that time and will start gearing up for it at that time each day, but fitness/calories/etc wise, there is no difference. Whenever you can do it is the best time!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The best time of day to exercise is when you're actually going to do your workout.
  • lessofkimberly
    lessofkimberly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I had read that there is a benefit to doing so first thing in the AM, as it kick starts your bodies Metabolism. Just trying to do the right/best thing. Everyone have an awesome week!
  • lessofkimberly
    lessofkimberly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love the bandana! It is awesome! I often think it is worth it 4 miles for a martini! And my answer is YES!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    well, there are research articles that show you can burn more fat DURING the workout if you workout in the AM as soon as you get up without eating breakfast. The reason being that the carb stores in muslces and blood sugar levels will be lower then any other time during the day (since its been around 8 hours since you last eat), so your body will start using fat as fuel sooner. Supposedly a similair effect is produced by lifting before cardio. but supposedly your body will be more apt to use muslces protien as fuel if you workout like this.

However, there is research that suggests that you will burn more fat AFTER the workout in post workout recovery if your propperly fueled with carbs during your workout.

The pro's and con's of either one make it a wash, so what everyone else told you is really the best advice, workout when you have the most time and or energy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can't do it while you sleep. Other than that, any other time is fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Whatever time best ensures that you will exercise and keep with it is the best time for you.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It's a personal thing.
    Just do it - whatever time.
    Just showing up and working smart puts you ahead of 99% of the slugs making excuses about why they quit on themselves.
    Good Luck!
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    As long as you get your workout in for the day, timing doesn't matter a whole lot. A lot of the time the morning works better for people because you fit it in before you run out of time at the end of a busy day. I've also heard that it's beneficial to always work out around the same time of day (like always in the morning or always in the evening) because your body will adjust to the schedule and give you better energy and endorphins at that time.
  • AbbyLynne2246
    Options
    Depends on your own internal clock but...
    I just read this article that said if you do your exercise first thing in the morning before you eat, your carb stores will be depleted from sleep, and it'll take energy from your fat!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question...I was wondering the same thing. I used to run after work 2 times a week (and on Saturday morning), and do other light strength training the other weekday mornings. Now I run and to the strength/toning stuff in the morning only. I made that change just because I like having my workout DONE by 7:00, and then I feel better the rest of the day.

I'm glad to see that there isn't really any significance in the time of day...that the important thing is to DO it.