Protein powders vs Naturally occurring Proteins.

Options
13»

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I'm kind off shadey on the area but I figured I'd throw it out there. This is my logic, and I am by no means a professional, and I'd love to hear a counter argument. But protein seems to be related to the amount of calcium excreted in urine from every study I have ever read. The more protein intake, the more calcium gets excreted. There is a fair amount of fear mongers out there (including these forums) who say protein 'leeches calcium from the bones' (just google "protein leaches calcium from bones site:myfitnesspal.com"). Nowhere have I found those studies...I think this fear has something to do with these studies. Anyhow, there seems to be some argument on why we excrete more calcium and how much gets absorbed in the body the more protein we have. Phosphorous may be related? Till then I figured it's better safe then sorry since I'm a female and protein/calcium/phosphorus is suppose to be related to bone mineral density and a lot of other things and you know, eventually menopause well get me :tongue: Assuming the more calcium excreted the less is absorbed, better safe then sorry is my logic.

An excess of protein is acidifying, homeostasis means the body will work to alkalinise the blood by drawing on calcium from the bones. That is perfectly normal and healthy mechanism and the body can easily remineralise the bones, but if it happens continuously over a period of time then you have a problem. Same issue with soda and other foods it's far from limited to protein. It's magnesium and vitamin D that work most closely with calcium in bone health, interestingly magnesium also opposes calcium in muscle contraction so they are a critical pairing IMO.

BTW there is not a ton of calcium in all whey supplements, check your product carefully. I have a cheapo Body Fortress at present and would need to take 260g to get the basic dose of calcium (1g for an adult female) - I have 10-15% of that in an average smoothie. it really is not an adequate whole dairy substitute.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that real food is better.

I use them sometimes as emergency food when I'm traveling. I have a lot of food allergies, and sometimes I can't find food I can eat.

Other than that, they go in kale smoothies when I'm doing partial fasts.