Body weight exercises for lower back?

Options
kjoy_
kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
Can anyone point me to a website or describe some body weight exercises for the lower back and "saddlebag" area? I have a labral tear in my left hip so anything that won't strain that joint would be amazing!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The muscles of the back can only be targeted by resisted pulling movements, NOT resisted pushing. Which means that the only bodyweight exercises you can do to work this area revolve around the use of a pullup bar or some other apparatus to create resisted pulling/climbing exercises. Your bodyweight on the floor does not do it.

Regarding "saddlebag" area, are you looking to reduce the fat there? Not possible to spot reduce. You can't pick and choose where fat comes off of.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also have a lower back injury... with my sacroiliac joint. Strengthening that area while injured is killer, but my trainer has me doing both regular and side planks. We also work on a 45 degree incline to do back extensions. And then we stretch. A lot.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Bodybuiding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout/exercise.html

Scroll down about half way, there's a clickable chart that can help you.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to build back the strength in your lower back, I think hyperextensions/superman and planks would be a decent way to start.

You could also try, on all 4s, to raise your opposite arm and leg at the same time (not sure what name this has) and I find raising just one of the legs up while keeping it at a 90 degree angle is pretty nice for hip strength and mobility. I don't really have videos of these handy atm and they might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's worth a try?
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am very aware that it is not possible to spot train areas, they are just areas that I am looking to improve muscle mass in, they seem out of proportion with my overall strength because of my injury.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    If that's the case, I recommend finding staggered/offset/more balance-intensive versions of standard leg exercises. The inner and outer thighs work hardest when stabilizing you rather than lifting a load =)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I am reluctant to offer exercises to someone who reports a serious injury as recovery can be specific to injury.

Having said that, the single leg (Romanian) deadlift comes to mind. Plenty of sample videos of this on You Tube. Requires stability, flexibilty and strength in that order.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The muscles of the back can only be targeted by resisted pulling movements, NOT resisted pushing.

?

The entire bridge family of exercises is pushing, not pulling, and targets the lower back/leg posterior chain.

Bridging is likely the answer the OP is looking for. Either low bridges (shoulders on the floor), plank bridges (the top of a pushup, backwards), or full bridges (wheel in yoga).

Superman holds also target the lower back.

If that is all too easy then look into the back lever, done on a pullup bar.
    Having said that, the single leg (Romanian) deadlift comes to mind. Plenty of sample videos of this on You Tube. Requires stability, flexibilty and strength in that order.

If you are doing straight leg deadlifts right, you should barely feel it in the back. The glutes and hams should get most of the work, as they are the prime movers of the hip hinge. The back has a support role and should not contribute to the movement.

Doing them with a dumbbell in the opposite hand does change this a little, bracing the unbalanced load will be felt in the lower back.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    The muscles of the back can only be targeted by resisted pulling movements, NOT resisted pushing.

?

The entire bridge family of exercises is pushing, not pulling, and targets the lower back/leg posterior chain.

Bridging is likely the answer the OP is looking for. Either low bridges (shoulders on the floor), plank bridges (the top of a pushup, backwards), or full bridges (wheel in yoga).

Superman holds also target the lower back.

If that is all too easy then look into the back lever, done on a pullup bar.

If you are doing straight leg deadlifts right, you should barely feel it in the back. The glutes and hams should get most of the work, as they are the prime movers of the hip hinge. The back has a support role and should not contribute to the movement.

Doing them with a dumbbell in the opposite hand does change this a little, bracing the unbalanced load will be felt in the lower back.

Sorry, yes, you are correct, I was thinking specifically of the upper back muscle group, not lower.