Knee sugeries

Options
I have had knee surgeries on both knees. I have no cartiledge left and am arthritic. Any suggestions for exercise would help. I used to do high impact aerobics, but with the knees and being over 50 now I think it's probably not a good idea!

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Swimming, walking, tai chi come to mind. Have you talked to your doctor, or a physiotherapist? They could give you a better idea what you need to avoid. You can probably modify a lot of exercises for your needs.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    what about some strength training? I'm no expert regarding the knees for sure, but I'm thinking some strength training for your upper body especially might help. I guess it would be better than no excercise....just a suggestion, like I said, I really don't know how to help you. Like the previous poster said, give a call to your doc and see what they can recommend. good luck!!
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I had a parial knee surgery and I exercise a lot. I have arthritis too. I walk on a the treamill using the inclinations, I go on the elliptical, I do dance DVD that do not envolve running or jumping, I go up and down the stairs, I work with an elastic or with a stabilizing ball and I do Pilates for the upper and the lower body. The most important that you have to concentrate on is to strenghten your quads, your hamstrings and your calves at the beginning and to not over do it.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    but I'm thinking some strength training for your upper body especially might help.

Strenghtening the upper body will not help to stabilize the knee but it will help anyone to feel better about themself. Strenghtening the legs will help to stabilize the knee and that is what we want after a knee surgery.
  • Tamzenc
    Tamzenc Posts: 18
    Options
    My mother had knee surgery last fall at age 82 on one knee. A stationary bike has been a great exercise for her. Her recovery has been slow, but steady.