How to get your significant other to work out and eat better

How can I get my man to start working out and eating better without telling him he should do so, I do not want to make him feel like i think he is out of shape but well, he is out of shape :P I am getting myself back into shape and now that the holidays are over im back into full throttle mode.

Thanks

Replies

• You can't really force him to if he doesn't want to.

I just organise more active days out. So rather than stay home and chill, we take the dog to the beach or go for a walk or go shopping. That way we're having fun, he's getting exercise and since I don't have fast food, we normally eat a healthy lunch :)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    You can't control his behavior. You can control yours. You can give him some heartfelt speech about how you want him to be healthy and all that, but if he's not interested in joining the new year's gung-ho bandwagon, you're out of luck. Only he can convince himself to change his behavior.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Don't give him any sex until he gets some ACT RIGHT!
  • I do all the cooking, so I trick him. He thinks he's eating one thing, but it's low cal or half the fat... I also try to experiment with new recipes, healthy ones. I also do all the grocery shopping, so I don't buy his crap food anymore or just not as often as I used to...

Or.... have more sex! how many calories does that burn anyway??? :wink:

32297890.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Tell him that it would be something fun you guys could do together. A health couple live longer and happier. When you exercise our body releases endorphins which make us happy :]
  • congrats on the weight lose vitaminddd!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Don't give him any sex until he gets some ACT RIGHT!

Lol or until he goes and gets it somewhere else. Don't listen to this advice.

Just because YOU have decided to change doesn't mean everyone around you feels the same way. When people decide to get healthy and they get excited about or have a hard time with it when others around them aren't doing the same, they feel like their goal isn't as easy. Focus on you and let him see you working to become a better you. Either he will want that too or he won't. Is it worth jeapordizing your relationship?
  • All great ideas, In the summer I can get him to go for walks with me but he hates the cold, and I can only cook for him on weekends as we do not live together as of right now... hopefully I will be getting a better wage soon and move in around May.
    We did get gym membershipd together, I used mine 5 days a week, he used his once :(
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Just seeing me get fit, inspires my husband to fix his bike and ride it to work, and to go out for walks and runs. We go hiking together as a family and do active things together for recreation and for our vacations. We dance together. I just talk about health and nutrition and how that relates to food choices and apply that when shopping, cooking, ordering at a restaurant. I compliment his muscles. Guys need compliments and to feel good and desirable, just like we do. I support him in whatever ways he needs and I am perceptive to what that may be. I tell him I love him, care about his health and want him to be around in my life and in our children's lives for a long long time. I will also call and schedule his yearly doctor appointments if he is busy.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    You dont
  • kway610
    kway610 Posts: 162
    I introduced my husband to MFP on Thanksgiving Day (of all days!!) and he has been hooked ever since. So, if you can get him to log a day or two, perhaps it will be enough shock to get him on board for good. :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Start going on dates with fit guys. He'll get the message soon enough.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    You can't light a fire under someone else's *kitten*. All you can do is do you, and hope they get some inspiration. If you force it, there's going to be some serious resent that builds up eventually. You have to accept your partner as they are, not for who they could be if they just....whatever. If you can't accept them as-is, it may be time to move on.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    I told DH I wanted to start eating healthier and exercising. He chose to join MFP with me and logs his food. I do a majority of the cooking and food preparation so that is half the battle. He likes healthy food. The only issue we have is he stays up late and if I don't he has no self control. He will snack, snack, snack. We don't have much junk food left anymore so it's working fine.

In short, he has to want to. Ask him if he wants to do this with you. Spin it as you need the encouragement.

I can tell you one thing, it's much easier for me with DH on board. He is very encouraging of my journey.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    You don't. When someone wants to change, they will change. The best thing you can do is to change and allow him to be inspired by your transformation.
  • I accept him the way he is, I love him to death, but he is already many years older than i am, and we always joke about it, but as i get older I know so is he and I want to keep him as long as possible but eating just night after night is not going to help.
  • You don't. When someone wants to change, they will change. The best thing you can do is to change and allow him to be inspired by your transformation.

Sounds like a plan
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    You can't. That's why being in a relationship with someone takes patience and acceptance on your part. Just do your thing, and let them come to their own place of wanting to change, just like you came to yours.
  • mtabh
    mtabh Posts: 128 Member
    Have you asked him if he wants to get fit with you? Workout with you? Change his eating with you? You can invite him to do so without being negative or saying he needs to. KWIM?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Lead by Example.......... Best of Luck......