keep cheating? what do i do?

Options
so I loose 5 pounds and the week after I gain it all back and the cycle proceeds cause at night I keep cheating. I don't know how to stop myself from binging I just get so hungry. what do you guys do to stop yourself from eating at night? cause im 219 right now and probably in 5 days I will be over 220 again. I can't keep getting bigger because the bigger I get the more problems it will cause me in the future. I don't want any problems and im just so nervous help! I gained 20 pounds this month and I cant gain anymore, im so sick of it , its becoming depressing.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals for the day so you have enough left for a healthy snack after supper. Get 100 calorie popcorn if you like volume to munch on. Other than that it's willpower. You'll know you really want to lose the weight when you can over ride the desire to eat too much.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Add more exercise if you can. Pick healthier snacks. Find something to keep your mind off of food. Drink lots of water.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    thanks! getting water now w/ lemon. tomorrow buying popcorn! :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are on enough calories. A lot of people don't realise when they first start on here that you can eat at a moderate deficit instead of a large one and lose weight without the suffering. Find out your TDEE and subtract 20% from that since you have a fair bit to lose. You'll probably find it's more than what you are on now and not have to starve then end up bingeing.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    so I loose 5 pounds and the week after I gain it all back and the cycle proceeds cause at night I keep cheating. I don't know how to stop myself from binging I just get so hungry. what do you guys do to stop yourself from eating at night? cause im 219 right now and probably in 5 days I will be over 220 again. I can't keep getting bigger because the bigger I get the more problems it will cause me in the future. I don't want any problems and im just so nervous help! I gained 20 pounds this month and I cant gain anymore, im so sick of it , its becoming depressing.

If you are genuinely hungry (not thirsty or peckish) you are not eating enough or not eating the right things. You are not supposed to starve yourself when managing your weight, that is not sustainable this needs to be a change for life. Your diary is locked so no idea what you are eating but are you having a balance of all the food groups? How much processed/ refined/ junky/ sugary stuff as a percentage of daily calories? How much fibre, protein and healthy fats and are you starting with all these at breakfast? How many servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables?
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Who does the shopping in your home? Usually it's us women. So-- if you handle the shopping, just DON'T BUY THE STUFF. I like to snack at night as well, and usually on chips, popcorn, something salty and crunchy. So-- I just have to NOT buy those cans of pringles. And though I shop for my family (husband and 2 small kids)... it's not hurting them to NOT have chips and pretzels in the house!! It sounds so basic, but so many of us just have the trigger foods in the house, and then we're ... triggered. So- if you can 'arrange your world for success'... you'll get rid of the things that get you munching, and there ya go- they are gone!
    Also- and again, this sounds silly, but it's simple-- sometimes I just remove myself form the situation. I know myself, and I know that night time, after kids are in bed, sitting there watching TV is a trigger time for me. I may not even be hungry-- but it's when I've always liked to snack. So I just HAVE to do something different. Move to a different room in the house. Watch TV upstairs (away from the kitchen), read a book or go for a late night walk. Get on the phone, get on the computer, just DO something else to break the ritual. It truly is a habit... and it just needs to be broken.
    Good luck! And no night time munching tonight!! :)
  • JBcat123
    Options
    I usually eat chicken breast 6ox, 2 cups of buckwheat....for bf I have 2 eggs for lunch I would have cup noodles 2wice a week or salmon w/ brown rice.

I think I eat healthy enough with one treat here and there but for some reason im still hungry and can't stop eating. maybe I have to check my goals again and see if its the right calorie intake .... every site says different. one site said I need 1600, this site says I need 1400, another site said I needed 1800! so im really confused.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to stop myself from eating at night. That's when I'm hungry-that's when I do the majority of my eating. I just shifted things around so I eat a few hundred calories during the day-then have like 1000 between 8pm and bedtime. I seemed to eat that much regardless of how much or what I ate during the day-so I decided to just go with it. I just plan to eat at night-I'm not going over my calories - just eating them at night mostly. That works better for me than trying to fight it.
  • simply4rla
    simply4rla Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes eating is covering up feelings you may have. Especially if you are eating at night after everyone has gone to bed. Try writing down what you are feeling at the time you are wanting to eat at night. I know this might sound a little weird but maybe you are a bit afraid of success so you sabotage yourself after losing 5 pounds. Keeping a journal can help you discover what may be standing in your way of the success you deserve.
  • JBcat123
    Options
    that sounds like a great idea! I have never thought about doing that. gonna try that!
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Read the Beck Diet Solution. It will change your life.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I usually eat chicken breast 6ox, 2 cups of buckwheat....for bf I have 2 eggs for lunch I would have cup noodles 2wice a week or salmon w/ brown rice.

I think I eat healthy enough with one treat here and there but for some reason im still hungry and can't stop eating. maybe I have to check my goals again and see if its the right calorie intake .... every site says different. one site said I need 1600, this site says I need 1400, another site said I needed 1800! so im really confused.

Is that an example day or is is really that restrictive? Good to see protein regularly but seems very low in fat? Add in your three servings of reduced fat dairy products for calcium, more oily fish for the vitamin D and omega-3s, switch your eggs to omega enriched, add some cheese or nuts for protein because two eggs is only about 14g, way more low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables (nine servings a day). Chicken breast is low fat but it really is not very nutritious. Buckwheat is great source of some minerals, terrible for others so mix it up with other seeds or beans/ lentils if you are wheat free. Are you eating two cups in one sitting, that is a fair bit of carbs I think?

How much are you aiming to lose? If you set two pounds a week this site tends to make calories too low, try setting one pound a week so you don't undereat. And MFPs protein guideline is too low for most. Some of the nutrients I mention - vitamin D, omega-3s and calcium are important in energy production/ metabolism and weight management not 'just' general health. There are others too which is why I am pushing eating from more food groups/ much broader variety of foods.

Noooo popcorn until you have tried the more protein/ dairy/ healthy fats/ veggies thing, it is very high glycaemic index and will spike and trough your blood sugar.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    I stopped trying to stop myself from eating at night. That's when I'm hungry-that's when I do the majority of my eating. I just shifted things around so I eat a few hundred calories during the day-then have like 1000 between 8pm and bedtime. I seemed to eat that much regardless of how much or what I ate during the day-so I decided to just go with it. I just plan to eat at night-I'm not going over my calories - just eating them at night mostly. That works better for me than trying to fight it.

I agree with this. I am the same way. So, I have coffee with milk when I first get up, then I eat a smallish high protein meal about three hours after waking, then don't eat again until five or six hours later. If you choose the right foods, with enough protein and fats, 1500-1600 calories should be fine. My morning meal is usually around 300-500 calories, my evening meal is around 1000-1200. I don't often snack after dinner.
  • StephanieStC
    StephanieStC Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing until I started changing my routine. First, I have decided NO TV. At least for the time being. That is a trigger for me. Also, I planned in advance things I could do instead of eating, if I wasn't actually PHYSICALLY hungry (not just emotional hunger). For example, to keep my hands busy, I iron, do origami, paint birdhouses that I buy for $5 at Michaels, I fold laundry, I pick up the kids toys, I do dishes. If I am actually hungry, I try to drink a glass of water first, then have an apple with peanut butter. (The protein and fat help keep me full).

I don't do this every time, but I am working on it. I am doing better and better.

I just posted, somewhere to chat outerspace, about a book called, The Power of Habit. I HIGHLY recommend it. It will teach you about your Habit Loops. You will have to take a look at yourself, and really think about your cues, routines, and rewards, but the book will teach you about it. Then, you can begin to do the work to change your habits.

Good luck!
  • StephanieStC
    StephanieStC Posts: 59 Member
    Options

One thing I realized is that I was overeating because I wasn't eating enough at meals. I need at least 350 cal at meals. It's your body. Experiment. Figure out what works for you and what doesn't. Maybe you need a little bit more healthy fats to feel full. Maybe you need to add more produce - for more fiber. Play around with your diet, on your terms.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I think eat more of the protein/fiber stuff throughout the day so you don't feel deprived, and yeah, make it a smaller deficit from TDEE.
  • Swethington00
    Options
    Vlasic Whole Dill pickles. Cut them into thick chips. Pair it with a Granny smith appl thinly sliced or Frozen peaches. Odd combo yes but it keeps ur mouth busy longer and makes u feel fuller. Frozen peaches are a good way to trick your body into thinking it is ice cream bc its cold.
  • 276NoMore
    276NoMore Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    to prevent you from getting hungry at night, why not try a whole load of lettuce (maybe half a head) with mushrooms, diced tomato, cucumber, and then mix together: tbsp kraft miracle whip, tb of ranch dressing and just a little bit of milk so dressing volumizes to cover your salad. you can even throw in some protein (can of tuna is 120 cals, or chicken breast, etc.) and you can throw just a bit of croutons in it to give it some crunch. that will get you sooooo full with not much cals and guarantee you won't be wanting to eat.

also, if you just force yourself for three days in a row to not eat at night, it will be pretty easy after that - just an adjustment that you have to do (don't cave in to your food desires).

hot (green) tea as well. maybe warm milk to get you tired so you fall asleep fast.

wish you all success.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    mind over matter. i used to have the same issue when i was at my highest weight. the key for me was asking myself if i was actually hungry or if i just wanted to eat for the taste. try drinking tea or coffee if you are having the urge to cheat. believe me, it works for me and lots of other people
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I am the same way. So, I have coffee with milk when I first get up, then I eat a smallish high protein meal about three hours after waking, then don't eat again until five or six hours later. If you choose the right foods, with enough protein and fats, 1500-1600 calories should be fine. My morning meal is usually around 300-500 calories, my evening meal is around 1000-1200. I don't often snack after dinner.

This^^

You don't have to eat at a particular time of the day
    You don't have to stop eating by a particular time of the day
    You don't have to spread your calories evenly over the day
    Just hit your daily numbers...