Protein Powder and putting on weight

Lady_C_the_1st
Lady_C_the_1st Posts: 208
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

I am trying to lose weight, I have not got a huge amount to lose and was doing well up until I introduced protein powder into my diet. I did have a very indulgent week following valentines and gained then (but did expect to). I then dropped that but have now gained again, having had a fairly sensible week. :cry:

The only thing that I have changed in my diet as adding protein powder and miso soup (which I know is high in sodium but am generally OK with my sodium intake).

Could the protein powder make me put on weight? I only take it after a workout because I find it very difficult to make up my protein otherwise.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Any other suggestions would be grateful. My diary is public so please take a look. Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• it's what you are adding to the protein powder that makes all the difference. and is it whey protein or soy protein. i have been using whey, casein, and egg based protein powders for about 10 years and i only use skim milk and a small amount of fruit in my shakes and they will not cause you to gain weight. but of course you go back to the basics, if you are taking in more calories than you are burning then you will still gain weight. i know also that you do need to restrict salt intake because salt will cause your body to retain water. almost all processed foods and resturant foods have tremendous amounts of salt and you can be taking in more than you realize, then by eating soups that are high in salt you may be getting to much. i know from my own experience that i can eat just one meal that is higher in salt than i normally eat and my body will show it by retaining more water which shows up on the scale.
  • It is soy protein, I make it with semi skimmed milk and sometimes a banana. I don't eat out or take away foods so I know my sodium intake is ok. I don't eat processed foods often at all, my boyfriend and I love to cook so we have a lot of fresh food. I might have two cups of miso soup, and that is only a few days a week. I have gone over my calories a couple of times but by about 65 only.

I work out about 4 times a week, for 40 mins - an hour. I change up what I'm doing most sessions as I get bored very quickly, I do weights.

I have not lost inches as I do take measurements.

Am confused.
  • gisii
    gisii Posts: 74 Member
    most likely ur just gaining muscles!! because protein helps with the muscle building and u workout so much. ur just gaining muscles!!
  • Maybe I am just gaining muscle but the tape measure does not show change in that area.

Am gonna cut back a little on exercise calories in case I am eating too many without realising it.
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    I would check out the nutrition label and see what the makeup is of the type you have. I have several types of Protein right now. I'm no professional but I've been trying a lot of different ones lately and I think I found my best choice.

I started with Syntha-6 but it was higher in calories and carbs. I make my boyfriend use that one since he's trying to put weight on (muscle). It was recommended to me at the Vitamin Shoppe about two years ago (maybe more?) so I had picked it up this year when I wanted to get back on it.

Then I got the EAS brand at BJ's or Sam's Club. I think the calories are lower but the most notable thing is the carbs are lower. That is probably better for me for weight loss. A lot of people I know use it and they love the taste (we all use chocolate) and it mixes well.

Now my boyfriend's brother got me on Casein, since I'm using my protein shake as a meal replacement. Casein is slow acting I think he called it... It works really well for me! Its not the tastiest (its kind of filmy like special K protein water is) I also always mix my protein with water because i don't need the extra calories from milk in the morning. I'd rather drink my milk later and enjoy it separate from my shake!

If you do have muscle gain, it might not necessarily show in the tape measure quickly because you are losing fat and gaining muscle - so your measurements could be even or maybe even higher!
This discussion has been closed.