logging kettlebells

Options
I do kettlebell workouts a couple times a week working my way back up to where I was fitness wise two years ago. I'm not doing anything amazing by any means but I am doing something. How should I log my kettlebell workouts?

Replies

• stephisneat
    stephisneat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I know if you log it under strength it won't show a calorie burn. I was thinking of using aerobics, high impact.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong or isn't it the same calories as small free weights? My husband uses them too.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Am I wrong or isn't it the same calories as small free weights? My husband uses them too.
    They work your body in a different way than free weights. When I lost weight the first time I started using free weights but lost more weight and better results when I switched to kettlebells.
  • rockangel8907
    rockangel8907 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I know if you log it under strength it won't show a calorie burn. I was thinking of using aerobics, high impact.
    I found a sparkpeople calculator that said for my weight I burnt 400 cals in 20 mins. Seems a bit high, but the workouts do kick your butt.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Try using a HRM and logging it as circuit training.
  • stephisneat
    stephisneat Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem too crazy. I guess it's just hard to think doing something for such a short period of time burns so much!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have been logging them as "circut training, general" as the videos I do are definately a cardio work out as well, I do have a HRM so I get a semi accurate log quantity. I was hoping they would be more strength for me but so far they are more of a cardio work out. I have only done mine a few times and have an adjustable kettlebell only used 5 and 8 pounds so far. Actually plan to go do here in a few minutes, thanks for the reminder :smile:

ETA: My calore burn via HRM is for 20 minutes is from 175-220 depending on the workout, this includes the warm up for me is a workout as well. I have the Empower kettlebell you can get just about everywhere, Target, Kohls, it goes from 5, 8, 12 pounds, has a dvd that has a warm up, 3 different workouts and a cool down. I usually do my own cool down, which goes for most vids I do, which for me incorporates some yoga moves.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Curious what size kettleball you use? I want to buy one but I am at a loss for what size I should start out with. I do some strength training already with 8lb weights.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this as well. I do kettlebell workouts for an hour with a trainer. I haven't been logging them, but it has worked my body out way better than anything else.
  • 4plus2
    4plus2 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do a kettlebell workout 3 days a week for an hour each time. I log it as bootcamp. We run, we lift, we plank, we push up....bootcamp stuff
  • BOLO4Hagatha
    BOLO4Hagatha Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I bought my first kettlebell at 15lbs. I have never used one and this seemed like a good starting weight for me. Can anyone rec some good exercise vids?
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Curious what size kettleball you use? I want to buy one but I am at a loss for what size I should start out with. I do some strength training already with 8lb weights.

I haven't done at home kettlebell stuff, but I took a 5 week kettlebell class a month or so ago. I started off with 15lbs, and by the end I was mostly using 35lbs, and 45lbs for some exercises! Don't be afraid of the heavier weights. A lot of the exercises use your WHOLE body. Moving 8lbs with just your triceps might be a challenge, but swinging 8lbs with your whole body? That is nothing at all.
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I log mine as cardio and enter manually. It burns on average 1200 cals per hour - sparkpeople has a calculator for kettlebells. I also wear a HR monitor and it's HIGH during the workouts. I am pretty sure I'm burning the 200-300 in 15 minutes.

Love to have some Kettlebell buddies - please add me as a friend! I need the motivation!

FYI - I started at 15 lbs (after no exercise for 15 months) Don't waste money on anything smaller - you are better off going heavy and fewer reps and work up to more reps.
  • AmberCHP
    AmberCHP Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started a 12 week Kettlebell class, twice per week :) I'm on week 3 right now, so far I have been logging them as "circuit training" as we have been doing mostly lunges, squats, planks, pushups, etc, a few swings but not many. Later on we are going to do more swinging (next month) so I am thinking I will log it as "aerobic, with step" as I understand that when you start swinging it more of a cardio effect.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Any suggestions on what to log if you are mainly lifting kettlebells? I am just starting and working on just lifting them,(or walking with them) as well as doing some walks with heavy kbs held in certain ways. I don't feel it as cardio as much as just weight lifting. Thanks for suggestions.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I think you would need to use your HRM to get a decent idea. 400 cal's in 20 minutes? I doubt that.