WW vs. MFP

Options

Replies

• srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVED WW and have no problems with it....but it's not free, like MFP. MFP also gives you a great little community...all the time! Plus, I like that I can really look at the nutritional value of everything I eat. I notice things I would never have noticed on WW...like there are days when I eat WAY too many fat grams, and that most days I do not eat anywhere close to the amount of recommended potassium. It helps me make even better choices. I do miss being able to "save up" points for a special meal. But, I can totally live with that, considering I am paying nothing! I really love MFP!
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have done WW a million times and also in my past have been a slimming world consultant. The thing is will all diets it is calories in v calories out no matter what fancy way they do the diet. MFP is great, its free which is a big bonus but the support you get is amazing. You can also use the app on your phone and just put in the calories if you cannot find your food on here (which is unusal. I use to pay to join WW etc and not stick to it. Now what I do is every mth if I have lost weight no matter how much is give myself a little treat. Salon appointment or new nail varnish etc. It still costs less then the membership and meetings. You feel good cause it is you getting the rewards for doing the work and not the WW etc rep. From being one myself I know it is the products that give the rep their money, not the actual members fees. So you do get pushed for products calculaters, books, magazines etc.

I have now stuck to this for 6 mths ( my longest ever and lost a little over 3 stone). I would recommend this to anybody. The fitness side of MFP is also amazing with challenges along the way.

Give MFP a go and see what happens
    Good Luck
  • greatthursday
    Options
    WW online worked for me, for a solid fifteen pounds, but I got sick of paying for it because I could get the exact same tracking system elsewhere (I had a good support group at home, and did not need that encouragement). Their mobile app sucked massively and there is even a mobile app that tracks points plus free ... sigh.

Paying for it made me stick to it, but after I was done I had learned a bit more about portion control / impulse eating / etc, and I did a lot better when I came back to calorie counting.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I've been in line for hours for this bout, hope they haven't sold out on tickets....I already called my bookie and laid down 10 large on MFP!!! This battle is going to be EPIC!!!!
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds on WW and have kept it off for a year and a half. I enjoyed the program. I did online only, so I didn't attend meetings. It was $20.00 a month and there are forums and friends and blogs and a great online community. Just like here but this is free. So I switched.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    I lost weight about 10 years ago but gained it all back plus 70lbs on top but as you can see by my ticker MFP works very well for me .Best of luck with your journey feel free to add me as a friend :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • MrsAnderson_GettingHealthy
    Options
    I hope that this helps you. I wasnt able to read all of your previous replies though so, I am sorry if this is similar to what someone else said.

I was on WW about 2 years ago and I lost 40 pounds. It was a great program but, it should be with how much it cost me. It didn't make sense that I needed to pay to lose weight so, I quit going to meetings and tried doing the program at home...that went well for about 2 months but, I basically gave up because I had a really hectic life and I still liked to eat out with friends and I basically had to guess my point value. I rejoined the points plus program thinking it would be easier but, ti was basically the same thing for me.

I found my fitness pal in the middle of November (I believe) and I was amazed that this program is free. I also like having everything online or on an app on my phone so that I don't need to remember to bring a bunch of papers, books and tracking tools with me. I love MFP. I have only lost 6 pounds but, I started on the 27th of December. I feel great counting calories and when I go out to eat, I can go online and find the nutrition information and add calories or else most of the restaurants are already programmed into my fitness pal. It is so easy and it's incredible for tracking. Everyone here is much more supportive than I had ever imagined and I absolutely love it.

I would say that WW and MFP don't even compare since WW costs money, you have to track on paper (unless you pay for the online program), it's harder to count points than it is to count calories and MFP is just much easier.

I wish you the best of luck!!! :)
  • Tiffm07
    Tiffm07 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on WW years ago. I kept it off for a few years but got tired of the point system and slowly started to gain it back. I switched to MFP because it was free and I would rather track calories instead of points.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have used WW online, honestly you are better off using MFP. You will get the same kind of support and encouragement, but you will gain the knowledge of how to control your diet. With WW it is easy to fall into meal plans that add up your points, but if you don't learn how to do the nutritional leg work for yourself what happens when you quit WW? Or do you plan to keep going back to them with your money, forever?
  • Muffiewilmes
    Muffiewilmes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Both are great!!! I do better with having to be accountable to a live person so that's where WW is better but I can't afford to add that expensive right now so this is great but I have always done better with WW.
  • jeannieguckeen
    Options
    I did WW for a while too. The meetings are not convenient and I really didn't feel like I connected with the others in the meeting. I have done MFP off and on over the last year but have not committed to weight loss whole heartedly until now. My first week and I am down 2 pounds with 60 pounds to go. My goal is 1 pound a week. I am tracking all my food and working with a health coach at the gym. I meet with her every six weeks for measurments, weigh in and a new work out. My goal for 2013 is to be down 52 pounds by December 31, 2013.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My Mom lost 50 lbs on WW, but she went to the actual meetings. MFP is free and compatible with other programs ... like fitbit, etc.
  • michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have had three friends who did WW and were all success stories, but when I finally jumped on the weight loss wagon (a year ago), I was forced to keep a log of all of my foods and exercise (I'm in a research study) and while I am lazy about looking up foods and then writing them all down (tried that, didn't work), I found it somehow easier to look them up on here and plug them in. What is the difference between writing them by hand and typing them into a computer or app? A lot. I don't always carry a paper food log with me, whereas I always have my phone with me. Yes, lazy...I know.

Also, I think the whole scheme behind WW is their math. You're literally paying for their math. It's all the same...you're dealing with smaller numbers (and for some that may work) but I personally prefer knowing real calories in and out. And the thing about not having points with fruits and veggies is kind of wonky. A banana is generally between 80-100 calories and you're not going to count that? Granted, a banana is good for you, but it's still calories.

I have learned to make healthier, lower calorie choices so I can still eat the volume I want to eat, but not spending all my calories on something that isn't worth it. For example: I tried spaghetti squash for the first time last week. Love it. I will definitely be using that as an alternative to pasta/rice from now on. Less carbs, lower calories. Yay.
  • nickielouise36
    nickielouise36 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    hiya havent read any comments.. but i love mfp.. its great as i have 3 young kids.. so find it really good for logging my food.. i concentrate on my diet and not on exercise.. i have done ww.. for about 8 months.. was different for me as i was a helper.. nd not expected but expected if that makes sense to lose every week so i had to i guess.. also when the new discovery plan started with ww,, all the helpers started it 3 weeks in advance to help other members.. if i hadnt of been helper wouldnt of stayed with ww.. good luck.. feel free to add me xx
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Like most diet plans, Weight Watchers works if you follow it. If you need in-person accountability, it's great for that! Knowing someone is going to watch you step on a scale and then (gasp!) write your weight down can be very motivating for some. If you don't need that kind of motivation though, I think MFP is better. Here's why:

1. Cost. This is obvious, but $40/month (for WW meetings and online tracking) vs $0 for MFP.

2. Points vs. Calories (or carbs or whatever you care about). Weight Watchers Points (or PointsPlus) are cumbersome. You can't just look at a food label and know it's 3 points or 8 points. I mean, over time, you start to get a sense for it. Maybe you'll even memorize the foods you eat most frequently, but to be sure you're getting it right, you'll be constantly looking things up - in grocery stores, on menus, etc. I find that to be a chore. With MFP, the calories you count are the same calories listed on every food label. Easy peasy. (Still a chore to track, yes, but LESS of a chore.)

3. Nutrition. Yes, WW encourages you on paper to eat a balanced diet, but those meetings are often filled with women (and they ARE mostly women) obessively talking about how many "points" are in X brand of tortilla or giving you some weird recipe for a Fat Free Cool Whip based dessert. I always felt like I got a lot of advice to eat weird, low fat versions of real food. It's like a constant game of how to cheat in bad food and still lose weight. Does it work? Sure, if you are honest about your points, but beware the food gaming and focus on eating real food - whether you choose WW or MFP. (At least, that's my advice, but who the heck am I??)

4. WW Brand Snacks. Indeed, they push their bars and shakes and "2 Point snacks" in their meetings, sometimes even passing arouns samples. To each his/her own, but that's not my thing. They taste OK, but they are never filling and always felt like a waste of points to me. Meh.

Anyway, good luck. Pretty much ANYTHING will work while you do it. The key (I think) is to find something that will work for you forever - because if it's just something you're planning to do temporarily "until you lose the weight," you're setting yourself up to regain. I have lost around 50 pounds with WW in the past and gained it ALL back and then some.
  • Xandra101
    Xandra101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm not living in USA. When I started a couple months ago, I used 3 free-counting-calories websites altogether.
    After 2 weeks, I keep only MFP. I find that food database of MFP has most variety of foods, including load of international cuisines.

I would like to try websites like WW, too. However, it's impossible for me to buy their products, and find ingredients required for their recipes.
  • euthena
    euthena Posts: 31
    Options
    I did consider going back to WW but it costs way too much money :( I have to say I joined MFP at the end of sept and I have lost the most weight I have ever done. I like MFP because it is very simple to use and it does make you burn kcal via exercise and I think that is the important difference between MFP and WW.
    With WW it depends who your 'leader' is. I had a great one and she really pushed healthy living and not the products but she left and the new lady was a disaster! She didn't even talk about WW it was always about her little girl. I found this infuriating as I was paying £7 a week for the privileged.
    MFP I think is a good site helpful, friendly and most of all it works :)
    oh and lets not forget its free as well :)
    xxxx
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I do weight watchers on MFP with a free script. I set my points to lose 2 pounds a week. So far I am down from 234.5 to 226.5 pounds since Christmas. I enjoy WW and have done it for 11 yrs but I don't follow the hype. I just follow the old system and keep at it. The key is to find a good balance in points and calories and stick to it. In the 11 plus years that I have done weight watchers I have lost weight after every pregnancy totaling over 300 pounds lost and I only went to 8 meetings total when my oldest was a baby..This is my 5th child and I am back doing WW and I started with MFP and lost 30 pounds and the last 8 is from WW. I use a different formula than what they suggest and do it my own way but it is only a tool. You can cheat, lie, and go over on anything, follow a diet plan, keep to your daily alloted points, and exercise and you will succeed. :happy:
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree with you....
  • gaynorv
    gaynorv Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I much prefer Mfp. - especially now I am in contact with other people for mutual support. It's free, really flexible, fun and fits in with my lifestyle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!