Hello to all!

Options
Hi everyone,
I am a long time dieter, but a first timer to my fitness pal. Recently my doctor told me that I needed to start counting calories. He told me to drop to 1800 and start exercising. He also told me to stay away from white food. Has anyone ever heard of that? I have never tried to count my calories before, I hope it works. Can anyone tell me, are carbohydrates friends or foes? Anyway, glad to meet you all.

Replies

• hinther
    hinther Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am a long time dieter, but a first timer to my fitness pal. Recently my doctor told me that I needed to start counting calories. He told me to drop to 1800 and start exercising. He also told me to stay away from white food. Has anyone ever heard of that? I have never tried to count my calories before, I hope it works. Can anyone tell me, are carbohydrates friends or foes? Anyway, glad to meet you all.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    welcome!
    you will love this site
    for me it makes my calorie counting and exersise logging so easy
    with MFP ive lost 6pounds since last saturday
    i really really love it :)
    and my friend and her husband joined and lost 4 pounds in the last 5days
    it really holds you to it
    knowing you have to come everyday and log everything lol

welcome hope you do great!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome Hinther:flowerforyou:

All carbs are not created equel:bigsmile: Use whole grains as much as possible. They have a higher fiber count and will keep you satisfied longer. Vegetables have lots of fiber in them as well.

Try to stay away from processed carbs. I am not an expert on those things but that is the types of carbs you want to limit. Try some new things:wink: you might find you like them.

Good luck:bigsmile:
  • hinther
    Options
    Holly Cow! 6lbs in one week, that is great. I hope that my efforts prove to do the same.:smile:
  • hinther
    Options
    Thank you for the knowledge, I will try to put it to good use:happy:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    By white foods your doctor means simple carbs such as white bread, white rice, table sugar, processed foods such as cake, cookies and chips, soft drinks, and alcohol. These are bad because the carbs break down into sugars very quickly and send you straight back to the kitchen

You'll want complex carbs such as 100% Whole Wheat Grain Bread, Spinach, Celery, Artichokes, Wild Rice, Museli, Whole Barley, Spelt Flour, Skim Milk, Yogurt, low fat, Eggplant, Tomatoes, Onions, Yams, Apples, Peaches, Pears , Plums, Potatoes, Lentils, Soy Milk, Rice Milk.

These complex carbs give you the energy you need and sustain you longer than simple carbs.