Being under

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I have this same problem too. My goal is 1,800 calories a day and I'm trying to gain muscle weight, so I should be eating all of the calories I burn as well. But some days I burn 500-800 calories, so eating that on top of 1,800 calories is a lot for me especially when you're eating healthy food that doesn't contain many calories. My only suggestion is start supplementing with protein shakes. That's how I plan on meeting my goal.

I would like to know how you plan on gaining muscle? Most days you are under 1800 calories, which for anyone who is bulking will not be enough. And more than likely your TDEE is well over 2000 calories. So I would think you are actually trying to cut. Because you don't build muscle in a calorie deficit. You can build strength, you can cut fat or muscle, but not gain it.

OP, I actually give people crap for being under as it can impede results.
  • dinomomma
    dinomomma Posts: 264 Member
    I have this same problem too. My goal is 1,800 calories a day and I'm trying to gain muscle weight, so I should be eating all of the calories I burn as well. But some days I burn 500-800 calories, so eating that on top of 1,800 calories is a lot for me especially when you're eating healthy food that doesn't contain many calories. My only suggestion is start supplementing with protein shakes. That's how I plan on meeting my goal.

I would like to know how you plan on gaining muscle? Most days you are under 1800 calories, which for anyone who is bulking will not be enough. And more than likely your TDEE is well over 2000 calories. So I would think you are actually trying to cut. Because you don't build muscle in a calorie deficit. You can build strength, you can cut fat or muscle, but not gain it.

I'm so happy to see you give people crap lol. It always seems odd to see so much praise for being 500-700 under calories.
  • dinomomma
    I personally don't "eat back" exercise calories. I adjusted my caloric needs based off of my workout, So i eat 1700-1800 calories a day. MFP gave me a 1200 cal goal to lose 2lbs a week before exercise, so instead of eating and then working out and being like "dang, i have 500-700 cals extra to eat" i just eat more to accommodate my workouts and on the day(s) where i don't workout i eat less.

I do this also buuuut! I just read in Women's Health magazine that a nutrionist said you should'nt eat less than 1400 calories, and I am eating 1200.. any ideas on that? is 1200 too little for anyone even a 5 foot tall me?

1200 in my opinion seems very low unless you sit ALL day long.
  • dinomomma
    I would love to be in the mind set of someday under and somedays over based on hunger and fullness levels but I also like a gauge beyond that because sometimes they cues can lead to a danger zone for me personally. It's hard to see so many different numbers or guidelines haha I just want the right one that will lead me to live a successful healthy life :)
  • psuLemon

I'm so happy to see you give people crap lol. It always seems odd to see so much praise for being 500-700 under calories.

I see it as under performing to your goal. If your goal is 1800 calories, you should aim to get +/- 100 of that goal. If you are 500 calories under, then you only met 73% of your goal.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I personally don't "eat back" exercise calories. I adjusted my caloric needs based off of my workout, So i eat 1700-1800 calories a day. MFP gave me a 1200 cal goal to lose 2lbs a week before exercise, so instead of eating and then working out and being like "dang, i have 500-700 cals extra to eat" i just eat more to accommodate my workouts and on the day(s) where i don't workout i eat less.

I do this also buuuut! I just read in Women's Health magazine that a nutrionist said you should'nt eat less than 1400 calories, and I am eating 1200.. any ideas on that? is 1200 too little for anyone even a 5 foot tall me?

IMO - 1200 isn't enough for a 10 year old kid...
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    I, personally, do not follow what MFP recommends because it's not very precise on what people should be eating. Every one is different and based on level of activity, height, weight, and gender, your body has different caloric needs and nutritional macros. But as a generalized statement, someone who wants to lose weight NEEDS a caloric deficit or they are just going to maintain where they are at.

MFP builds in the deficit and expects you to eat back your calories burned (although you need to be sure your calories burned are fairly accurate).
  • dinomomma

IMO - 1200 isn't enough for a 10 year old kid...

THIS so hard!!!
  • dinomomma

I see it as under performing to your goal. If your goal is 1800 calories, you should aim to get +/- 100 of that goal. If you are 500 calories under, then you only met 73% of your goal.
    Exactly which is why the praise confused me so much
  • angelz_love
    angelz_love Posts: 36 Member
    I would love to be in the mind set of someday under and somedays over based on hunger and fullness levels but I also like a gauge beyond that because sometimes they cues can lead to a danger zone for me personally. It's hard to see so many different numbers or guidelines haha I just want the right one that will lead me to live a successful healthy life :)

Remember, every BODY is different. I have been on mfp at least a year and I really had to play around with calories, times I ate during the day, types of food ( high in carbs or protien) for a year before I figured oout what really worked for me. I am pretty much always "under everyday" unless it is a "cheat" day. And I had to play around with how to effectively have a cheat day.
  • I have my goals set to lose 1 pound per week, and since i am sedentary for a huge part of my day (desk job) my calories are set at 1620. i find it really hard most days to meet this but i usually come within 200 of it. however, when i close out my day it always says under calorie goal because i do not eat back my exercise calories. i do try for the most part, to make sure my net calories is at least 1200 but somedays i dont even succeed in that. i cant force myself to eat, and ive tried protein shakes as well but if im not hungry i feel sick if i try to force something down. i'd rather be under then feeling sick from being too full.

is this wrong? because i do seem to be losing weight every week even if it isnt a full pound every week. im doing cardio, circuit training, and just started strength training as well. i want to lose the fat but not have flabby skin.
  • psuLemon
    I have my goals set to lose 1 pound per week, and since i am sedentary for a huge part of my day (desk job) my calories are set at 1620. i find it really hard most days to meet this but i usually come within 200 of it. however, when i close out my day it always says under calorie goal because i do not eat back my exercise calories. i do try for the most part, to make sure my net calories is at least 1200 but somedays i dont even succeed in that. i cant force myself to eat, and ive tried protein shakes as well but if im not hungry i feel sick if i try to force something down. i'd rather be under then feeling sick from being too full.

is this wrong? because i do seem to be losing weight every week even if it isnt a full pound every week. im doing cardio, circuit training, and just started strength training as well. i want to lose the fat but not have flabby skin.

Eat higher calorie foods. Nuts; avocado, adding cheese to your meal, cooking meats in EVOO, protein bars instead of a piece of fruits, large meat quantities or go to town on a peanut butter jar.
  • I have my goals set to lose 1 pound per week, and since i am sedentary for a huge part of my day (desk job) my calories are set at 1620. i find it really hard most days to meet this but i usually come within 200 of it. however, when i close out my day it always says under calorie goal because i do not eat back my exercise calories. i do try for the most part, to make sure my net calories is at least 1200 but somedays i dont even succeed in that. i cant force myself to eat, and ive tried protein shakes as well but if im not hungry i feel sick if i try to force something down. i'd rather be under then feeling sick from being too full.

Eat higher calorie foods. Nuts; avocado, adding cheese to your meal, cooking meats in EVOO, protein bars instead of a piece of fruits, large meat quantities or go to town on a peanut butter jar.

So then, I should be eating back my calories? I already knew that mfp gave me a 500 calroie deficit, so I just assumed that if i didnt eat back my calories i would just have a bigger deficit which would mean, more weight loss at the end of the week. however, i guess since im not only wanting the fat to come off, but i want to get fit and toned while im doing so, that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing? this is all so confusing to me and it probably shouldnt be. i just want to make sure im doing everything i can to achieve my goal. i want to feel better, and look better. the ending number doesnt really matter to me as much as what the mirror shows me.
  • psuLemon
    I have my goals set to lose 1 pound per week, and since i am sedentary for a huge part of my day (desk job) my calories are set at 1620. i find it really hard most days to meet this but i usually come within 200 of it. however, when i close out my day it always says under calorie goal because i do not eat back my exercise calories. i do try for the most part, to make sure my net calories is at least 1200 but somedays i dont even succeed in that. i cant force myself to eat, and ive tried protein shakes as well but if im not hungry i feel sick if i try to force something down. i'd rather be under then feeling sick from being too full.

So then, I should be eating back my calories? I already knew that mfp gave me a 500 calroie deficit, so I just assumed that if i didnt eat back my calories i would just have a bigger deficit which would mean, more weight loss at the end of the week. however, i guess since im not only wanting the fat to come off, but i want to get fit and toned while im doing so, that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing? this is all so confusing to me and it probably shouldnt be. i just want to make sure im doing everything i can to achieve my goal. i want to feel better, and look better. the ending number doesnt really matter to me as much as what the mirror shows me.

On the subject of eating back exercise calories, look at the thread below. Ideally, if you want to maximize fat loss, you want a moderate deficit (1 lb is generally good) and have a good workout program consisting of resistance training and HIIT or cardio. Both HIIT and resistance training will improve muscle retention (along with adequate protein: .8-1g of protein per lb of lean body mass). While you can NOT turn fat into muscle, you can keep your muscle and eliminate your fat. The more muscle you have, the tighter and leaner your body will be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097