Birth Control Weight lose success stories please:)

Options
Hi,

I've been on Alesse for 3 months and I've gained 6 pounds because of the increase in appetite that comes along with BC (plus I've been eating a lot of fast food). I've just recently started tracking calorie intake a day and I've cut out the fast food.

Is there any tips for losing weight on BC because apparently "it's hard" and it takes "forever".
:smile:

Replies

• piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I was on the Depo and went from 118 to 143.... My attitite was crazy but I got so heavy because of my poor choices and lack of exercise...Had some other horrible side effects on it and decided I couldn't take it anymore.

Swapped over to Implanon... My body leveled out and I started dieting with MFP in October and am now down to 127.

I'm having no problems loosing the weight... Even when I started to exercise when I was on the Depo, I did loose...I just wasn't committed so it didn't stay off.

Also some people do better on different birthcontrol. One person can take Depo and have no side effects like my mom and I take it and all hell breaks loose.
    You may try swapping to a different BC that has different hormones or a different dosage if you feel like your gaining excessive weight.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I've been on a lot of different BC's and I'm currently on Alesse. I'm not sure about anything before I started MFP, but I've been on it for probably almost a year now and in terms of weight loss - I think it's helping... or at least not hindering. I think it's different for everyone though.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hmmm. i have been on birth control about 2 and a half years. ortho tri cyclen for 2 years, and recently the past almost 6 months, sprintec. i haven't had any problems with weight gain from either of those pills, i do know someone who gained mass weight on the shot, but once she was off it lost a lot of it (it may have been water weight?) not sure if any of that helps, maybe you need a different birth control? it has never made me hungry either, i feel the same on it as i did when i didn't take it
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I've been on Levelen for about 3 years, and before that I was on Juliet (for acne). I have lost 53lb, and notice when I am not taking my pill I lose more.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Since starting here I have been on Junel & Microgestin and neither have hindered my progress. I do know that drinking water regularly throughout the day makes a difference to my snacking.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to take the pill but it spiked my BP so i tried an IUD. I had mirena inserted two months ago and am having no issues with it at all. You should look into it, I think its the best birth control option (and with no appetite increase)
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tricyclen Lo, haven't had any problems so far. Unless I have, but they were so minor I didn't notice, lol.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I was on Alesse for ten years.

It is a low hormone pill and isn't supposed to mess with your weight. I maintained a slim athletic body for 9 of the 10 years. I gained weight because I got lazy and ate too much - no fault of the pills - but I successfully lost 20 pounds.

It can be done, don't let birth control be an excuse for why you can't be the weight you want to be.
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ortho Tricyclen Lo, haven't had any problems so far. Unless I have, but they were so minor I didn't notice, lol.

This. I've been on it for four years and have yet to notice any ill effects from it in regard to weight loss/gain.
  • JodiCaldwell_7
    JodiCaldwell_7 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and was 157 in Aug when I got it and my doctor told me to come to terms with the fact that I will probably be 10lbs heavier within the first year. It's been close to 6 months and I have lost 15lbs. I'll show him! If you work hard and eat clean you should be good.
  • moni_tb_192
    moni_tb_192 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've been on the pill for over 5 years (with a couple of breaks in between) and was completely sure that's what made me gain weight... but no! Last november I started the pill again, and by watching my food, and doing exercise often I've lost 17lbs in a year and a half. This year, I want to work out more regularly and make a habit out of it, to shed another 20lbs :)

Tomorrow is my weigh-in day... I'll see how it goes :ohwell: