Military Women? Present and Former?

Options
13»

Replies

• mollieprice331
    mollieprice331 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Currently in the AF. I was only working out because I had to. Then I realized that our PT test doesn't have very high standards and felt that I should push myself a bit harder. Now I'm getting back into running and have been doing crossfit for about 6 months. Best I've felt in a lot time!
  • beatlesfan31
    beatlesfan31 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I spent 4 1/2 years in the U.S. Navy and am a Desert Storm veteran. Thanks to all who served and are still serving!
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Air Force (94-98) and Minnesota Army National Guard (2002-08)
  • katylynnsays
    katylynnsays Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Retired Air Force. Really miss having time during the duty day to get in a good workout although I've always hated running. Did ok at first, but then I lost my daughter in a car accident and started stress eating. Gained 20 pounds in the past three years. Time to take control of that and work it back off!!!
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I joined the AF Nurse Corps when my ex-husband left me for another woman thinking if I moved away he could come with me and be far away from her making it easier to stay with me. I also thought at the time that I wanted to be told what to do and think. I found out that neither was true and I should have known better. I am not military material, or at least wasn't at the time. But I did frequent the gym because it was free and I liked that it wasn't fru-fru. I got really strong then because I had no man to rely on and I thought I needed the strength for everyday life (so I didn't need a man) and for potential self-defense. I did need it for the first item, but not for the second, fortunately. Yes, I gained 40lbs within the first 7 years out. I've been exercising pretty regularly ever since, but not doing the strength training the way I was in the military. I was able to loose about 20lbs with pretty strict food intake, running, aerobic classes and continued strength training, but then I got a desk job and gained it back. My new (16 years now) husband is the family cook and he generally cooks nutrient dense, low fat foods. I sometimes have to ask him to serve me less, but otherwise at least dinner is reasonable. I'm responsible for the rest. That's where MFP and you all come in.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Retired Air Force. Really miss having time during the duty day to get in a good workout although I've always hated running. Did ok at first, but then I lost my daughter in a car accident and started stress eating. Gained 20 pounds in the past three years. Time to take control of that and work it back off!!!
    I'm very sorry for your loss. That must have been very painful. I can understand eating to soothe the pain.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello there

I'm in the Canadian Military now, Reg Force. Just did a search to see how many other military people are here.
  • missingmercury
    Options
    Hello, former US Army. 4 years in the '80's. Started gaining weight with the kids and it never really left after. My knees are bad from running in combat boots. I really did not like running when I had to, but am getting into it now. Actually have started a lifting regimen to jumpstart my weightloss. <30lbs since I started last June, but hit a wall. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • pelicandame
    Options
    Left the navy two years ago. I was a carrier sailor for 5 1/2 years, so my knees are shot from the ladders. My shoulders are shot from falling down a couple of them. My back is messed up from lifting things I shouldn't have because it was expected that I do everything the guys did. Running is just pain. Mostly I'm trying to use calorie control. Found MFP by searching for a free diet diary app for my phone at the suggestion of my MOVE! team.

37643017.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    This probably sounds cliche, but thank you, ladies, for your service to our country, we are indebted to you more than we can express. God bless you!

Not cliche at all! The women seem to be the lesser thought of ones when people think about service members. Very nice Zach! Thanks!!