need help getting started

Options
Hi, all. New to the site and was wondering if I could get some good tips and /or advice, because I don't even know where to start. I'm not sure what I'm eating that is keeping me from losing weight. Everywhere you turn, there are contradicting articles, and such, about whether to watch carbs, sugar, fat, etc, etc. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about. So how do I find out what the culprit is?
I did the south beach diet a few years ago and did very well on it. I stopped losing eventually, but kept the weight off for the most part (realized sugar and carbs were a major culprit back then), but eventually gained it all back (after some tragic life events) plus more when I quit smoking a few months ago. The problem is, I tried south beach again, and had basically no success. I guessed that it was because I still have a lot of the healthier habits I started when I did that diet last time. ( I ate a lot of sugar when I quit smoking, but only while I was quitting.) Immediately after I quit smoking, I went back to eating WAY less sugar, don't eat much bread, etc... but I cannot seem to lose anything. There has to be other culprits, but I dont' know how to find out what they are.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don't expect people to 'do it for me', but I could use some helpful information to get me started.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Could be what you are eating, could be what you are not eating. It's rarely one food or nutrient, health and weight management are about the sum total of what you eat. Fats, protein, carbs and micronutrients and overall calories are all important. Be more discerning about what you read or believe, many blogs and online articles are opinion or theory or sales pitch and have no scientific backing whatsoever. Look at websites of universities, UK National Health Service, western governments, healthcare charities, medical/ fitness registration bodies, Google Scholar, PubMed.

Without knowing anything about your current weight, diet and exercise habits it's tough to give any help. Have you been eating a balance of all the food groups or suitable alternatives that supply the same nutrients - if not starchy carbs then a ton of nuts and seeds for minerals? Plenty of oily fish and reduced fat dairy? Enough overall calories for your activity level? Are you strength training regularly?
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I suggest you read the opening forums under Food and Nutrition and Exercise. People do all kinds of food plans because we have different lifestyles and metabolisms. Log for a couple of days to see where you are and then decide where to cut back. Try to move in sle fashion as often as you can. Log everything you eat! Browse the diaries and see what successful people are doing. Drink your water. When I need motivation, I read the success stories.

You can also search under the topics to see if someone else has asked the question you have. Make some friends and ask them whoever you are confused. Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Sara did an excellent job of cutting out all the extraneous BS and putting it in very simple terms. Great place to start.

[ETA:] Note the part about reasonable deficit. Don't restrict yourself to some ridiculously low calorie level - it's not a good thing for several different reasons.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i really believe the simple calorie in calorie out method is easiest to start with and understand. then gradually, find out what works for you, try different methods, see how you feel best and get best results. i dont follow any low this or low that plan, i just stay within my calorie goal. now, that being said, when your eating at a deficit, your kind of forced to make healthy choices, unless you want to starve the rest of the day after eating all your calories with a soda and a few candy bars... i choose to eat 3-4 low cal meals during the day with 1 or 2 snacks, that way, i never feel hungry. excercise is an added benefit, and to be honest, i actually have more energy after a nice hard workout. most people choose to eat back thier excercise calories, however, i do not.
  • kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replies, everyone! Firefox7275, I do eat plenty of nuts, seeds, and low fat dairy. I am however, seriously lacking in the fish department. I do not like fish. Do you think that would make a major difference? I have managed to work some tuna into my diet, but that is as far as I have gotten so far. (Still working on it though! )

Thanks everyone for the article/ message board suggestions. I will go read them now. I appreciate the help!