Question about lifting and weight loss

Options
I dropped a lot of weight when I first started tracking with MFP (from 330 pounds down to 255 over a few months) but have been sitting between the 250-260 mark for close to a year. I started making progress again last month and hit 248 pounds (my lowest weight in over 9 years!)...but that kind of fell to the wayside as I am back at the 255 mark.

I started lifting weights a couple of weeks ago, so I would imagine that some of the weight is from new muscle...but I guess I am wondering, should a person still lose weight when they are hitting their target calories while lifting?

Should I just use measurements of the waist, hips and neck as opposed to the scale?

Just looking for some input. Thanks!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would still be losing weight if you're hitting your goal calories. You will not build muscle on a deficit so your loss should remain constant assuming you're calculating everything correctly. I've been lifting for almost my entire crusade and I've dropped 79lbs so far. Having said that, measurements can be really beneficial too as another way of judging progress.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting and eating at a calorie deficit you should lose weight still. To gain significant muscle you need to eat at least at maintenance. BUT when you work out hard you retain more water. I had that issue after really long runs. If that's your issue just drink more water and wait it out.

ETA, and yeah, for sure take measurements. It's extremely helpful to see some objective signs of progress when the scale isn't moving!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    crusade

Oh man, thank you so much for not saying journey...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    crusade

Oh man, thank you so much for not saying journey...

I hate it too so I had to use a more epic term ;)
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Baseketball reference anyone???

"Steeeve... PERRY!"