Gym eqiupment to have at home?

Options
So, in the next year, I would like to acquire equipment to sort of build my own at home gym (a funds come available)

I am thinking: an elliptical and a treadmill.

Anyone have any good suggestions of which brand/type/model to get of either of those? When looking online, they seem to have such a large price range...and I don't understand if a work out on a cheaper one will be just as good as a work out on a more expensive one, and if a few extra bells and whistles makes it worth a thousand dollars more-as far as if it will effect my fitness a thousand dollars better?

Also, if anyone has any at home equipment that they find they particularly enjoy or find effective, please let me know! I am open to suggestions other than elliptical and treadmill.

Also, we have a sationary bike- but i won't use it...I am short, and even on the shortest setting, my bottom hurts afterwards because of the way it is (tall) so maybe a recumbent one?

We also have a weight bench/weights...which i plan on using within a few months.

***We are looking to buy a home of our own over the next year, and I would like to set up my own "circuit" of sorts in the basement of our new place-it better have a basement! lol-***

Replies

• MyTimeIsHere
    MyTimeIsHere Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Smooth fitness is the one I have.....I purchased because a neighbor had one for 7 years used by 3 family members almost every day with no problems......that was 5 years ago......mine has given me no trouble in 5 years.....my neighbors is 12 years old nd was serviced once

My other is a precor elliptical.....agin 5 years old no problems......it's the one without the arms
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options
    I purchased this one at Costco : http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10345296/freemotion-freemotion-xte-rear-drive-elliptical-trainer-reviews/reviews.htm

I LOVE IT ! and I think I got it at an awesome price ($449), I found a lot of crappy looking ones ranging from $1000 +, so I was excited to see this one at this price......I have had it for almost 2 years (I think).

I owned a treadmill before that, but gave it to a family member because I really wanted to buy an elliptical. One of my best purchases ever !

I go on the elliptical almost every day, and I find it really easy to do this because I watch TV while I am on it. My favorite part about the elliptical is how it is really shaping my butt! The next time you are on one, you must stick out your booty while you are on it, it will really work out your butt and you will feel it burn...best feeling ever!
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Smooth fitness is the one I have.....I purchased because a neighbor had one for 7 years used by 3 family members almost every day with no problems......that was 5 years ago......mine has given me no trouble in 5 years.....my neighbors is 12 years old nd was serviced once

My other is a precor elliptical.....agin 5 years old no problems......it's the one without the arms

smooth fitness- is that your treadmill?

and an elliptical with out arms...i saw one that just looked like rotating foot pedals. i imagine i would fall. lol.
  • Janelle173
    Options
    I purchased this one at Costco : http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10345296/freemotion-freemotion-xte-rear-drive-elliptical-trainer-reviews/reviews.htm

I LOVE IT ! and I think I got it at an awesome price ($449), I found a lot of crappy looking ones ranging from $1000 +, so I was excited to see this one at this price......I have had it for almost 2 years (I think).

I owned a treadmill before that, but gave it to a family member because I really wanted to buy an elliptical. One of my best purchases ever !

I go on the elliptical almost every day, and I find it really easy to do this because I watch TV while I am on it. My favorite part about the elliptical is how it is really shaping my butt! The next time you are on one, you must stick out your booty while you are on it, it will really work out your butt and you will feel it burn...best feeling ever!

awesome tip, thank you :)

i used to live in an apartment complex that had a treadmill and an elliptical. i would go and do both through out the week, and i started noticing my butt was getting super perky! (i weighed much less back then, it was pre pregnancy, and i was just trying to lose like 10-20 lbs (10 of which i gained after getting into my relationship and eating like my guy! lol) i was wondering which machine was helping my butt more. lol it was most likely the elliptical ;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    We have the Smooth Fitness 6.75, and I absolutely love it. I've used it for over a year 3-6 times per week, and it's been great.

I would also suggest considering buying a set of dumbbells and a bench at the very least for strength training. If you have room for a power rack and barbell kit, that would be awesome too.
  • bettacheckyoself
    Options

awesome tip, thank you :)

i used to live in an apartment complex that had a treadmill and an elliptical. i would go and do both through out the week, and i started noticing my butt was getting super perky! (i weighed much less back then, it was pre pregnancy, and i was just trying to lose like 10-20 lbs (10 of which i gained after getting into my relationship and eating like my guy! lol) i was wondering which machine was helping my butt more. lol it was most likely the elliptical ;)

YES it was!! ..you must get one !! Just to make sure you understand what I meant about the booty stick out, this is a video that will describe it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5BugCTkPN0 It seriously works!!! I have been telling everyone about it!!

I live in a medium size condo, and it fits perfectly....my condo has a gym downstairs, but I prefer sweating and looking like a disaster in private and there was only one TV in the gym :noway: (we all fought over it)

I saw your before pics, you looked great!....I think you can definitely get back to that if you wanted to, just make sure you don't give up!
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I do nothing but cardio and calisthenics. So I really wish I had an assisted pull-up machine at home but it's too expensive.
  • Janelle173
    Options
    PregosaurasRex- thank you for the info! And yea, we have a weight bench and dumbbells! I do plan on starting to use those over the next few months. I am also currently doing Jillian Michaels DVDs.

Bettacheckyoself-Thank you! I hope I can get back to that! I posted those originally because someone posted a thread asking for height and how different weights look on frames of people. I just happened to have pics of my putting weight on. lol Thank you for the link. I can't wait to get on an elliptical again! Maybe that'll be my definite next big purchase! :)

abraham- i will look into what an assisted pull up machine is. i have heard of doing like chin ups and what not, but not sure about a machine for assisted pull ups. :) cardio and calisthenics is what i originally did and I was 110 lbs...but, I was a lot younger, and didn't have a lot of weight to lose when I did it back then. That was more so, I was skinny fat and decided to make some changes and wanted some abs. But right now, I need to really work at it as my physiology as seemingly changed! The weight is hanging on! Even though I breast fed! grr. lol
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    PregosaurasRex- thank you for the info! And yea, we have a weight bench and dumbbells! I do plan on starting to use those over the next few months. I am also currently doing Jillian Michaels DVDs.

We ordered directly from the company and they gave us free in-home setup that was really nice. Just FYI.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    An assisted pullup machine is a machine where you can do chinups or dips and when your body gets tired and you cannot pull yourself up you can still do a couple more sets by adding weight to assisr you in doing more reps and sets.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Skip the elliptical/treadmill and get som kettlebells.
    Both strength training and cardio.
    I have 4 different sizes and am going to get a chin/pull up bar for door frame and then I've got what I need for a long time. I've used only kettlebells for 6 months and don't ever feel like missing something - except for the pullup bar.
  • lilly_star
    Options
    I have a Spirit commercial grade xtrainer which I've had for over 2 years and is like it was the day I bought it. Fantastic machine and it has Polar HRM technology so syncs well with my Polar FT40 Heart rate monitor. Good choice of programs as well
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A kettlebell is a great tool to have at home.