Potlucks and treat days at work

Options
Any tips/suggestions on dealing with them? I work in a corporate cube farm and we have pot lucks at least once a month and treat day once a week. Some times it is so hard to stay away from the 'bad' food when everyone else around you is eating it!

Replies

• lisabauman
    Options
    Any tips/suggestions on dealing with them? I work in a corporate cube farm and we have pot lucks at least once a month and treat day once a week. Some times it is so hard to stay away from the 'bad' food when everyone else around you is eating it!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You can treat yourself to atleast half a serving of 1 thing or just take something from home.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I had that problem at my last job. Potlicks are something you just have to learn to take in small doses! I always picked three healthy choices and small amounts and went back to work or for a walk. We finally lost our one big meat-eater; and began doing mostly vegetarian foods. Those were the best potlucks we ever had! I'm not vegan, but really, they were delicious. The birthdays and going away parties were bad, too. Baked things are my favorites. I had to stay away from the kitchen, but I would always be there with a card signed by everyone.

~cm
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If it's something unexpected that I know I enjoy I have a few bites. If it's something that I don't normally crave, it's not worth it. If it's something that's planned like a lunch I'll usually drink a slimfast shake or have a healthy filling snack beforehand so i'm not famished and overeat.
  • sabby
    sabby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First of all, I try and drink a big tall glass of water before a meal to trick myself into feeling more full. Then I try and eat only the things that I could easily calorie count! Basically anything that's made from one ingredient. I know that's boring, but SOOO much easier to count when it comes to filling out the data on myfitnesspal! I somehow feel like I have control now that I KNOW how many calories I need to lose weight, and its just NOT WORTH IT to eat the fat when you know how much its worth (calorie wise). You'll get smart and find that you can start cutting out the fatty stuff that takes up a big portion of your precious daily calories (like butter, fatty dressing, etc) , and you'll get smart about what you can eat more of and feel like its fueling a machine. It also seems that if you forgo the dessert, everyone wants to give you a hard time saying things like "Awww, she's so gooood". But it takes MANY of those "she's so good" instances to make a difference for the good. Just hang in there and if you feel like you're alone, know that you're not!
  • citybyrd
    Options
    I work in the potluck capital of the world and it always poses 'issues' for me. That being said, I have come up with a few tricks.

On the side, I sell Victorian Epicure products (dips, spices etc... ) so I always volunteer to bring the veggies or fruit and make the dip with low fat yogurt. Make sure that your dip is low in salt though. As a treat for myself I always allow myself a small serving of one item and take it to the cafeteria with some friends to sit and eat. One of the worst things you can do is stand by the food and pick.