Nausea in morning. NO, not pregnant

Options
I am nauseous every morning . Usually about 20minutes-1hr after I get up.
I DO eat a full meal in the evening-- usually pretty late evening.
I DO get up early. Today-- 3:45 a.m. :yawn:
If I eat something small-- this morning it's pretzels- it will go away.
I am too old to be pregnant !!

But since I get up so early-- to fight the nausea-- I eat calories.
Then I eat breakfast (usually fruit/yogurt) -- but.. it's just like eating an extra meal.

Ideas of WHY the nausea ? or how to combat the extra calories?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    have you always got up at 3.45? or is it new?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have been this way my whole life. I need a little something to get to normal. It may be the really early times if you are not getting enough sleep. But I am no doctor.
  • sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do you drink coffee? Sometimes on an empty stomach, it can cause nausea. Personally, I'm having trouble with my multivitamin & coffee. Previously no trouble, but switch brands. Going back to old brand after this bottle is gone (too cheap to toss it). Noticed no nausea if taken after eating... so that's why I bring it up (no pun intended).
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    The last time i've had that it was my birth pills... and after that plain anxiety.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Could it be a symptom of hypoglycaemia? Low blood sugar often makes me nauseous.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any supplements? I used to take a multivitamin in the morning with my breakfast and it always made me nauseous. My stomach couldn't handle the iron and B vitamins without something more substantial than a breakfast smoothie or small bowl of oatmeal, etc. (I now take it at lunch time.) Now when I feel a wave of nausea come over me in the morning, it's usually due to anxiety.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Could you have a slow bleeding nose? I had that and overnight my nose would drip blood into my stomach and in the morning I would throw up. I had to have it cauterized and go on iron tabs.
  • anna_1991
    Options
    I used to have this when I used to have an empty stomach and take my Wellwoman multivitamin pill on an empty stomach. Having even a piece of toast might help. Do try it !
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Dehydration?
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I get this too, just have to eat a little something first thing after getting up even if its just one slice of toast or a cracker and it helps.
  • Andreinne
    Options
    You're probably nauseous because you eat very late, and wake up very early. it happens to me sometimes. Try to have your last meal of the day earlier, instead of so late (at least whenever you have to wake up so early the next morning)
    Also, despite what others here tell you, sometimes eating as soon as you wake up makes it worse (or causes it).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've been that way most of my life. I just don't eat in the morning until it goes away.
  • Scottish_Lass
    Options
    I get this if I sleep on the wrong side. Bear with me, it actually makes sense! If I lie on my right, my stomach is elevated above my esophagus and can cause irritation due to it being quite easy for acid to creep down etc, and I get nauseated in the mornings. If I lie on my left, my stomach is lower and gravity helps me out, stopping any irritation to my lower esophagus. Just a thought!
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    my normal hormone fluxuations cause nausea, and I usually feel sick in the mornings. It gets worse as TOM approaches (this happens on a monthly basis, so I know to expect it now). If a couple crackers or pretzels help, I say snack on them, just budget for them in your daily calories and change your mindset about it being an "extra" meal. Who says you have to eat a whole meal in one sitting? It's part of your breakfast or is an early morning snack. As long as you're not going over your calories does it matter?
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    I have the same issue...not just in the mornings but anytime my stomach is empty. I looked it up on the internet and found out it could be low blood sugar. Try eating protein when you feel this way...something with peanut butter..eggs...cheese...a handful of almonds.
  • JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds like there's a lot of good ideas out there for you. This might seem like a silly suggestion, but you might consider checking your heart rate in the morning when you feel sick. I only suggest this because I've had issues with tachycardia for years(I have Grave Disease) and sometimes..especially in the morning when I first get up I will feel very ill...and I can't for the life of me figure out why until I realize " Oh gee, my heart rate is 125 that might be why haha". A few years ago I actually had an ablation procedure done on my heart to burn off some of the over active cells because my heart rate would be well over 150(especially in the morning time) and I would get very sick. So...hopefully and probably not the case for you...but it might worth checking out! :)
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem and I have talked to my doctor about it. She thinks I have a case of acid reflux. I'm nauseas in the morning, sometimes throughout the day and before I go to bed. She recommends an antacid 1-2 times a day. It seems to help if I keep up the regimen. Hope this helps!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Low blood sugar?
  • pikachuFL
    pikachuFL Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Like MrsNelson, I had this problem and asked my doctor about it and she diagnosed it as acid reflux. When you've been lying down, especially if you eat a meal close to bedtime, you can get acid backing up into your esophagus, causing you to feel nauseated when you get up.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you take any supplements in the morning they may be upsetting you stomach.