HRM and accuracy

This has probably been posted before, but I am wondering if anyone has had experience with HRM (i have a MIO Motiva) and their accuracy?

I know that it gives different readings for different activities of different intensity. E.g my hour lunchtime walk according to my heart rate monitor burnt 364 cals......tonight attempting day 2 of week 1 of c25k it showed 440 cals in 30 mins......sitting in a car for an hour it showed on 40 cals (which is what I would expect)

My concern is MFP for the same activities are 150-250 calories below what the HRM has calculated.....what should I be entering?

Looking at things like my RHR....it's usually quite low (around 59 when I wake in the morning or sitting at my desk at work), but it quickly jumps to 80 for things like a moderate walk and then up as high as 160 when I am working on the c25k program.....

I'm new to this stuff, resting heart rate, maximum heart rate etc so any advice in plain English would be greatly appreciated. I really want to get the most out of training to give myself the best chance of success to get healthy and lose the weight.

Replies

• Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    i use my HRM watch for work outs and i believe there very accurate,, and thats what i use to post here.

HRM monitor is used for work outs mostly and not to determine anything else.

as i was told.. but i think u should believe ur HRM
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I used to rely on a HRM (Polar FT4), but even with presumably accurate readings and recording everything eaten, I would remain the same or sometimes put weight on or off.

Now I have disepnsed with my HRM and just get on with working out I am seeing a steady loss of 0.5 - 1.0lb per week.

I consider that although the HRM may be accuartely calculating calorie burn, there are still too many other variables and the only thing you can do is keep a check on scale weight and tape measurements and tweak daily calories and/or exercise accordingly.