Protein Shakes - Before or After??

Options
Every time I work out, I get extremely hungry. So I thought I would start using Protein Shakes because my body is obviously is trying to tell me something.

For you guys who drink Protein shakes, do you drink it before or after your workout or at a separate time?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, why not eat some solid food?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, why not eat some solid food?

^ It would seem to me that if you're hungry after a workout, this is a good solution.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    You should see me on leg day.
    ALL the food gets in my mouth.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a protein shake before working out and then I eat a meal after my workout. Try it out and see what works for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Every time I work out, I get extremely hungry. So I thought I would start using Protein Shakes because my body is obviously is trying to tell me something.

For you guys who drink Protein shakes, do you drink it before or after your workout or at a separate time?

Are you getting hungry during or after the workout? If during, have a little something before hand... but try different things to see what your body responds best to (good energy, no nausea, etc). If after, then eat something. Shakes are fine, real food is too.
  • Rtossas
    Rtossas Posts: 29
    Options
    I would recommend a shake post workout and then a whole food meal 60 minutes after training.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Oh I eat real food and have no problem with it at all. Never had an issue with starvation mode. I usually have a high protein snack after.

I get hungry about 10 to 30 minutes after I workout. I want to build muscle, that is part of the reason I wanted to try the protein shakes. Plus my protein is the lowest at night on my diary.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Oh I eat real food and have no problem with it at all. Never had an issue with starvation mode. I usually have a high protein snack after.

I get hungry about 10 to 30 minutes after I workout. I want to build muscle, that is part of the reason I wanted to try the protein shakes. Plus my protein is the lowest at night on my diary.

If your protein intake is on the low end then adding protein is a good idea whether that comes from a shake or additional food. You may find adding additional protein through whole foods to be more satiating but that being said, there's certainly nothing wrong with using whey protein to supplement your intake.

If you're eating regular mixed meals then I wouldn't concern yourself with the specific timing of protein. Do what gives you the best satisfaction and gym performance.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

If it's after, then just eat whatever you need for your cal/macro goals. Shakes are fine if you need protein, but you can do the same with steak, chicken breast, etc.
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I have a hard time working out on a full stomach and also eating anything for an hour or two after (but beware - I'm STARVING AFTER this time period!) so I generally will drink a protein shake within a half hour after working out.

That being said - that's just me. Something needs to get in my belly :wink: so I fill it with a shake, but there's nothing wrong with regular food. It's just the only thing I can stomach right after working out.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a half serving of a shake before workout and then i will take a whole after workout
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to lose weight I would skip the protein shake entirely, unless it is a meal substitute. If you are trying to gain weight/muscle I would eat before, at least 1 hour, and have a shale after. Your body replaces protein best in the 2 hours post workout.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to lose weight I would skip the protein shake entirely, unless it is a meal substitute.
    You make that recommendation with no context at all. What assumptions are you making?
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options
    I am doing both, need to lose about 10 pounds but wanting to gain muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    I am doing both, need to lose about 10 pounds but wanting to gain muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

Doing both at the same time will, at best, be agonizingly slow. IMO, you're better served by focusing on 1 goal at a time.

And yes, muscle does burn more than fat... but it's not like that extra pound of muscle you gain over the next 6 months is going to turn you into some kind of calorie burning super furnace.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just want to make sure your expectations are in check.
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options

Doing both at the same time will, at best, be agonizingly slow. IMO, you're better served by focusing on 1 goal at a time.

And yes, muscle does burn more than fat... but it's not like that extra pound of muscle you gain over the next 6 months is going to turn you into some kind of calorie burning super furnace.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just want to make sure your expectations are in check.

I have no delusions about the process. You are not raining on my parade. For me this is a marathon not a sprint. I have lost 31 and have 10 left. I want to be fit and have more muscle tone. If it took me a year to lose the 10 pounds, it is what it is.

Overall, I want to be healthier and stronger. I am not looking for quick fixes or overnight success.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I just do what I feel like when I wake up. Some mornings I'm ravenous and have to eat the minute I get up, and it's a protein shake since it's fast. Other mornings I'm not hungry and will eat a big breakfast after I work out.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I usually have a protein shake right after I lift. I find that if I try to have it before or during my workout, I feel like I'm going to puke. But that's just me.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I had the same question so I found this thread on a search....

I am getting in most of my reading (between the snarky and useless posts that make no attempt to answer the question) that after is optimal, but before is next-best? Have any of you ever read that before bed is a good time for protein as well? Curious...I work out at different times of the day because I am an instructor and I get the schedule I get... :)

And finally, for those of you who have said that protein shakes make you feel sick (me too...) I came across a product called Syntrax Nectar that is fruity, and mixes with water instead of milk. It is much more refreshing to me than the milkshake-like varieties and a lot more appealing after a workout. I love the Roadside Lemonade and Fuzzy Navel flavors, but there are lots of choices (Strawberry Kiwi, and a couple different tropical blends). 1 scoop = 100 calories and about 24g protein. It is available on vitacost.com if you are unable to find it in a store in your area. :)