Heel pain/Plantar Fasciitis - Home cure suggestions

Options
Hi Folks,

I've been having heel pain for a couple of weeks now. Hard to walk with it. I'm pretty sure that it is Plantar Fasciitis.

Trying to avoid going to the doctor and getting Shatnerarianly pain cortisone shot.

What have you all done to get your feet to feel better?

Thanks!

Replies

• carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I battled the same issue for a while. I went to the foot doctor and they did recommend a shot but I didnt get it b/c all it would do is mask the issue and not fix it. I bought the brace that you wear at night and it really helped me a lot. I also went to a specality running store and bought some good insoles that have really good arch support. Along with that I also did more stretches for the bottom of my foot and calf seemed to help. I found several of the things I used from footsmart.com. Hope you feel better soon!!
  • Selgar
    Selgar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem last year. I stayed away from the gym for a little while and then went to a specialty running store and got fitted for an awesome pair of new gym shoes. My feet felt a billion times better, and I haven't had any problems since. Good luck!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    While sitting roll a golf ball under your foot put as much pressure as you can. You can also roll a plastic bottle of ice under your foot. Also, you need to stretch several times a day. "push" against the wall one time with your heel up and the next with the entire foot flat.
  • idlose
    idlose Posts: 16
    Options
    I had it for a couple of years. I went to the store and got some Asics for working out but that still wasnt enough. I went to our local cobbler (yeah we still have one of those lol) and he got me some Sole moldable inserts. we got them fitted and along with some stretching exercises I didnt suffer for over a year. I am starting to notice it a bit again though and it is time for new shoes and inserts (been 2 years) and the combined weight...good luck!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I put a round water bottle in the freezer and rolled it hard under my foot every evening. I also took a therapeutic dose of ibuprofen (i.e. three times a day, not just when it hurt) and bought some sports-specific Sorbothane insoles.

Low impact exercise only for a couple of weeks until it goes away, I'm afraid!
  • wendyjlewis
    wendyjlewis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had this before. The things I found that helped the most were:
    * Stretching out my calves. The simplest exercise for this is to stand on the edge of a step, toes forward, and dip your heels down until you feel the stretch. This is a good preventative exercise for the future
    * Rolling a golf ball around with my foot (or something similar). This one helped with the pain in the arch of my foot - sort of like a massage
    * Wearing high heels. It was the physio who actually recommended this me. Don't go mental and wear massive silly heels, but the angle at which they put your helps ease the pain in while you have the problem

Then of course make sure you get fitted for proper trainers if you go running.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis to the point where it feltslike knives were stabbing in both legs.

I was fitted with arch supports (storebought ones made things worse). A good shoe store that specializes in orthotics can fit you with them, but if you have insurance it should pay for it. They can cost a lot.

Once I wore them a few months, I've gone for years without needing them. When it flares up every blue moon, I wear them again for a month.

I've never had shots.

Home remedy:

Stand on the stairs facing up with your toes on the tread. Stand on your toes and then lower your heel below the tread. Repeat until tired or your feel stretched out.
  • selkielb
    selkielb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried all the things--shots,physical therapy, changing shoes to negative gravity type, etc. The only thing that helped me was tai chi. I think it is because you keep rolling your foot--you go up to your toes and then you rock back. Hope this helps!
  • desie888
    desie888 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My hubby has it. He has flat feet. The Dr. showed him some stretches that help. Some days there is nothing he can do that helps. He is getting orthotics but that is easy for him because he is military so he has coverage. Spenco Orthotics are good for arch support and they are not too spendy. Also, Walmart has the Dr. Sholl's custom fit with the machine that tells you which fit is best for you.

The stretches were simple. Just sit and pull your toes back and hold them there. Do that over and over for 10-15 min. If you apply heat while stretching (warm wash cloth) it might make it less challenging. From what I can tell it doesnt feel great... but it helps. Basicly its a tendon that is tight that runs the length of the bottom of your foot and it needs to be stretched. At least that is my understanding.

Good Luck!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had it for about a year before i went to the doctor. I tried the brace, the exercise, the insoles, and nothing worked. You have to get the inflammation down. I didn't want the shot so he gave me cortisone pills. It worked. Its been 4 years and haven't had a problem since.
  • genisee
    genisee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too used the frozen water bottle and wall stretches (try doing them in the shower when your muscles are warm). One other thing I didn't see mentioned is to keep a towel near your bed, and use it to pull your toes toward you for a stretch before you put weight on your feet every morning. No shots for me, thankfully stretching worked. It's been about 12 years. Best of luck
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I bought some kiseo tape for ankle weakness. You need to go to their website for demos on how to tape for various injuries. I noticed that plantar fasciitis was one of the many conditions listed. My ankle feels stable. It might help.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I did the frozen water bottle rolling plus TONS of stretching.... religiously for a week. Every moment I could. Also told my chiropractor and she did some adjustments in my ankles and feet. When rolling the water bottle I was SUPER rough on my foot, basically "ripping apart" the stuff inside my feet. It was very painful, but good painful. (I"m kinda into that pain though, so just telling you what I did).

Plus wore runners for a week. Even at work with my cute outfits. :(

Pain was gone after about 6 days.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I had it and it was bad enough to the point I had take 2 weeks off because I just couldn't stand anymore. I did the frozen water bottle, strectching, brace, inserts...

the only thing that worked was keeping off my feet. I ended up quitting my job because I no longer could stand or walk.. shortly after I quit,I got a hernia and thanks to that and very limited movement for two months (before and after surgery) my foot got better. I eventually got better but I permanently wear ortho shoes to help prevent it from coming back. I NEVER want to go thru that.. i also ended up with a nice big heel spur..
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I ended up with a heel spur also and and had to have surgery to correct it, so don't ignore it.

-- frozen water bottle
    -- gentle stretches as often as possible
    -- the night-time brace helped a lot
    -- shoes with at least a 1" heel
    -- ALWAYS wear shoes with good arch supports
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I have been there. You need to get yourself a boot to sleep in at night. I had one similar to this from my podiatrist: http://tinyurl.com/aualwvd My podiatrist also made me custom orthotics.

Takes a while to get used to sleeping in. I also had physical therapy for a while. What helps most (in addition to the boot). is stretching. One example: http://tinyurl.com/bbwaf4w

If you are running, you should stop immediately, you'll only make it worse. A low heel also relieves pressure on the foot... oh, and no flipflops or sandals. Took me about 4 or 5 months to kick it. My friend who didn't stop running ended up doing some pretty permanent damage.
  • JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later as I have some heel pain as well.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Go to the sporting store and look for a shoe insert that is made out of a hard plastic
    Buy them and install in shoes

Its going to hurt like hell the first day or two, but then it will start getting better
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    While sitting roll a golf ball under your foot put as much pressure as you can. You can also roll a plastic bottle of ice under your foot. Also, you need to stretch several times a day. "push" against the wall one time with your heel up and the next with the entire foot flat.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I had it years ago and this is what I did, besides 800 mg IBU 2x per day. It is very important that you stay off it as much as possible as further damage can mean surgery. It also helps if you pick up a dish towel or wash cloth with your toes for some reason. Do that for like 5 minutes a couple of times a day.

Rolling the frozen water bottle was one of my favorite things as it gave me loads of relief.

I send positive thoughts for fast healing for you. That stuff is miserable!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I've been having heel pain for a couple of weeks now. Hard to walk with it. I'm pretty sure that it is Plantar Fasciitis.

Trying to avoid going to the doctor and getting Shatnerarianly pain cortisone shot.

What have you all done to get your feet to feel better?

Thanks!

Stretch your calves and hamstrings really well every day.