Anxiety While Exercising - Anyone Have It?

Options
karenmi
karenmi Posts: 242 Member
I've been having problems with anxiety while working out and I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there who experiences the same thing.

It happens while I am doing cardio (usually on the treadmill, sometimes on the bike) and sometimes I can work through it, other times it becomes too much (almost a full-blown panic attack) and I have to quit. I have been seeing a therapist and have learned some good ways of coping with these feelings, but some days even those tactics are not enough.

I've had two episodes of what my doctor thinks may have been panic attacks where I ended up in ER; once in 2006 after a really hard workout with a trainer, the other last September after I workout out too hard after not exercising for months. Both times my heart, etc. checked out fine. I was referred to a cardiologist last year and had a stress test, echocardiogram and a few other tests and results of all were normal. Despite that I obsess constantly about my heart while I am working out, and I think that's partly what's triggering the anxiety.

It's really starting to erode my confidence and keeps me from pushing myself out of my "comfort zone". I wear a heart monitor while working out to keep my heart rate in check and keep it at around 125 during cardio (I'm a 44). Needless to say I never break a sweat! I work out every morning before work, 5 days a week from 5:45 to 6:45, and seem to be having these episodes more & more frequently (which is typical with anxiety).

I have been seeing some really good results despite not working out very hard, and I am determined not to let this beat me! I am going back to my doctor this week, but I am interested to know if anyone else out there has this problem and how you cope.

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Yes, I have this too. I do mini spurts.

Push outside your comfort zone a little at a time. I'd really say, just exercise where you r comfortable for 1 or 2 weeks. Make a plan... say next week you add a little intensity. Really plan it out well and know so you can be ready for it. Talk to yourself about it every day until it's time to do it. I hold exercise anxiety as well. It's no fun but being prepared is the only way I can tackle this issue.

If I'm walking on the treadmill at a speed of 4mph and an incline of 5% then I bump the speed of to 5.2mph and an incline of 10% for 2 minutes. I do this several times throughout my work out.

It is a mental struggle to get the first few in, but before I start my exercise I tell myself I'm going to do 8 spurts of intense cardio. Then I mentally know I have to do it, after warming up for 5 minutes I do my first one. After that I sort of do them sporadically, but I know I'm not done working out until I do them all.
  • Mludwig04
    Options
    I used to have anxiety while exercising ALL the time. I couldn't even complete a workout because I thought my heart would beat too fast and that I would die. I am a 25 year old at a healthy weight that exercises frequently so even though I knew my heart was fine I couldn't overcome it. I went to a doctor two years ago. I didn't know I was having anxiety attacks I just knew that something was wrong. I told her what I was experiencing on a daily basis and that I couldn't do stuff that I used to do like exercising. She told me that I was having anxiety attacks. I just figured that I needed to be a stronger person or just try harder. She told me that when it gets to the point where I was that I wasn't able to talk myself out of it. She put me on Celexa and I went from having debilitating anxiety attacks on a daily basis to only having 2 or 3 minor anxiety attacks in the last two years. I am at the point right now where I am almost able to go off my medication. Taking antidepressants/anti-anxiety was the best thing I ever did for myself. I even ran a triathalon. I hope this is helpful to you. I completely understand what it's like.
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    Earlier in my life I suffered from anxiety disorder. I had numerous anxiety attacks each day. It was awful as I related more and more activities to anxiety attacks which then ended up "causing" those attacks when I did those activities. Finally, I learned that anxiety attacks are produced by fearful thoughts, in other words, we create out own anxiety by having anxious thoughts.

I highly recommend reading Feeling Good and The Feeling Good handbook both by Dr. David D. Burns. They changed my life and I am pretty much anxiety free now.

Now, back to your exercise = anxiety problem. If you can work out daily and just remember that you are causing your own anxiety by having anxious thoughts (probably fear that you will have an anxiety attack at this point), try to use some techniques like visual imagery (imagine yourself in a safe place that is beautiful and serene, maybe think about yourself as fit and being there). Control your breathing and slowly work you pace up so that your respiration increases at a comfortable rate for you.

Aerobic exercises actually will calm you as you continue. They will allow your bodies endorphins to be released these are the feel good chemicals we release while doing aerobic activity...you have heard of the "runner's high"...that is what that is.

Just practice, have confidence that you will overcome this anxiety and that you are actually doing yourself good and safe. Good luck to you!

John
  • sdonnelly812
    Options
    The old saying "music will sooth the soul" could not be any truer. Everyone has an iPod/iPhone these days. Plug in, play something that you can enjoy/focus on. Your workout will go by much faster and you might just find that you want to go further.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I've had major issues with Panic Attacks and I have found that exercise makes them worse - HOWEVER if you know why (body mimics PANIC in excursion efforts) and you know it's physical and harmless you can muscle through them easier - I least I've been able to... what I hate is that exercise also brings on my hot flashes so I'm freaking out and burning up all at the same time - oh the JOY of exercise!

After working through them for about a month the anxiety/panic has subsided significantly. I think I just had to re-train my brain that I will be "running" for fun, not because there's a monster behind me!

Music helps a ton so does wathcing a movie...
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I was really happy to see this posted. I have been dealing with this off and on for the past few months. Always on the treadmill too, as someone above had mentioned. It gets very scary because I never know from one day to the next when I go to the gym if its going to be a big issue that day.

As of right now, I really havent learned how to control it. I enjoy exercising and am at the gym 6 days a week. Ive began to associate the days at the gym as good days and bad days, depending on how I get thru without an attack.

Someone also said here that the anxiety seems to subside as you get further into the workout...I have to agree with that for the most part. Most of the time I do feel better the further along I get in the workout...other times it seems to be such a struggle just to finish.

Is this something that I should talk to my Dr about? I find it difficult and somewhat embarrassing to talk about...
  • karenmi
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your messages, it's great to know that there are others out there who have the same problem as I do.

I have been increasing the intensity of my workouts slowly over the past month, a little longer and a little more intense each week. Some days I do just great, no problems at all; others, like today, are not so good. This morning I only got to 11 minutes on the treadmill (I was up to 27 last week) and I chose to quit. It's hard to keep exercising when you feel like you can't breathe, your heart is pounding out of your chest, your legs are like spaghetti and your thoughts are racing. Tomorrow's workout may be anxiety free...I, like Nonibug, never know from day-to-day what's going to happen.

I do listen to music while working out and normally love it, but when my mind is racing sometimes the music makes it worse.

I have had anxiety on and off for 25 years, fortunately more off than on. I know that I need to work through this workout-freakout thing and that's why I sought the help of the psychologist who has helped me with this in the past. She has given me great tools to use (changing thought patterns, breathing techiques, etc.) and those do help most days. Maybe medication will take me the rest of the way.

Thanks for all your suggetions, I really appreciate them! I've only been using MFP for a month now and I love it, especially now that I know how supportive everyone is!

By the way, some of your stats are just amazing!
  • slm638
    slm638 Posts: 64
    Options
    Have you ever considered asthma or some other medical condition? I know it can mask as panic or anxiety. I have asthma and have been exploring my anxiety issues (not exercise related) and have come across this a few times in my reading.

Don't want to give you a "cop-out" but just something else to think about or ask you doctor about.
  • karenmi
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion slm638. I do have exercise-induced asthma, but fortunately it's under control. Most of the time that I have the anxiety or panic symptoms I am not short of breath, but it does happen sometimes. It's not the same feeling as when I need to use my puffer. I will mention it to my doctor though.

BTW I love the picture of your cat!
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to say, I've been there! I ran yesterday at 6 mph on my treadmill and that's something I couldn't dream of doing 2 years ago due to my anxiety. It's something I have built up to and eventually got used to. It def is a mind game that you have to move through. Be confident! There was one point when I was running at a 6 on my machine about a year ago and I felt it coming on and I just said "NO" to myself "KEEP GOING" and I got angry at it - stopped it right away. It is almost like our inner self confidence has gone down the toilet and suddenly those feelings come. As long as I can be cocky confident, and can move my mind away from my run, I'm fine.

Anyhow, if you see, this, how is it going now? Hope things are getting better!
  • Nicolen845
    Options
    I know this is an old post but how's everyone's progress with this?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this thread was revived, because I am wondering too!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Strange. I have been diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder for over 15 years. One of the best remedy besides my xanax prescription was walking.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Strange. I have been diagnosed with acute anxiety disorder for over 15 years. One of the best remedy besides my xanax prescription was walking.

+ 1

Walking has made such a big difference to my anxiety along with my weight loss, it's a great way to focus your mind.
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had vertigo for 3 months. THAT gave me severe panic attacks and then every time I tried to exercise, I would freak out, thinking the vertigo was coming back. I know exactly how you feel. Panic attacks are the worst. Therapy definitely helps. Make sure blood pressure is normal too.
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious how OP is doing 3 years later :)
  • darkestdreams06
    darkestdreams06 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just went through this exact thing back in September. I, too, took myself to the ER thinking it was something wrong with my heart, was referred to a cardiologist and had all the tests just for them to come back normal. Turns out it is pure anxiety! I find natural ways to deal with it most of the time, and have learned to breathe through it and calm myself down. It is scary, and it consumes your mind. I am still terrified that it is my heart, even though I *know* it is not. Essential oils have really helped me as I am not a medication taker. May be something to look into for yourself :smile: You can get through this!
  • darkestdreams06
    darkestdreams06 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    HA! And I just realized this is an OLD post! Ehh, either way, following!
  • heidikg22
    heidikg22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am going through this trouble now. Been suffering from anxiety since August when I had my first panic attack. Anyhow I wouldn't wish this on anyone but I'm glad I'm not alone. It doesn't help when I switch the radio on and hear a 60 year old bloke went out for a jog and collapsed and died. It's hard to build your self up and learn your heart aint going to fail or have an attack after this.
    I play netball and have my own team an I struggle to concentrate as I tune in to my own thoughts too much and think something is going to happen and I am going to die. Any advice from anyone who has overcome this would be great. I felt like I had got the worst over with but I had kidney infection last week and had a full blown panic attack first proper one in months and months NF now I feel iv been set right back.
    I ain't taking any meds as I don't want to rely on any thing I want to do it without:-(
  • altamontny1
    Options
    I can't do anything. Last night tried bowling four games and I got anxiety sweating so bad I had to sit down all the time. If I try to lift weights after a few minutes I get panic attack. After twelve hours still don't feel right. Had my first full blown attack 2007 and I have it down to small ones every couple months. I need to exercise but am too afraid since bowling set it off. I wish I knew what to do. I feel like I'll drop dead and doctors keep throwing pills that make it worse at me. I am messed up.