When did people start to notice loss?

Options

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Experts say weight loss is noticeable when you lose 10% of your weight,

I think "experts" may not be 100% correct on this. When I lost 10%, my mother asked if I was pregnant. I was at 30% down before it was universally noticeable.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I think I've decided close friends and husbands notice at 5% of your body weight, friends at 10%, and the world at 15%.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    When did YOU start to notice!?

Still waiting....down 5 sizes-you'd think I'd notice it, but I don't.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options

I have lost 65+ pounds and I STILL dont see any difference when I look in the mirror ( talk about body dysmorphic syndrome) but I know I have no clothes to wear and had to go to Thrift Shop to buy jeans for work ( since Im losing pretty fast & regularly, no sense in spending a ot of $$ on clothes)

I got my FIRST compliment at work last week ( Im the only female in an office with 25 men... Im sure others have noticed but the fear of EEO complaints or the thought of hurting my feelings or such prevents them from saying anything...

I got MANY compliments at church yesterday... maybe because I had on 5" heels and a shorter dress than usual, I stuck out a lil more...

My husband noticed I need a new bathing suit when last week he saw me in one I had been wearing Summer 2012... My daughter noticed because she said I needed new pants and she'd take me out for a couple of pairs as my Xmas present ( I declined since I know Im still losing)

that said, I think walking upright with confidence will garner you more attention and/or compliments than not....
  • mwalker73
    Options

This. I still try to buy the bigger sizes; just a knee jerk reaction when shopping. I start to head to the chubby section and then stop myself realizing that I don't belong there anymore. I'm down 45 lbs (and 4 sizes) and still try to buy things in the bigger sizes, almost afraid of buying something too small, or convinced that they just won't fit me. I wish I could say it's self esteem, but I feel confident, I feel healthier and I feel sexier. However, my brain still looks for the XL in everything.
  • minsch
    minsch Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    When I hit right at the 100lb mark.....Lol.

My close friends who knew I was working on it noticed sooner.
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

You can always trust you mum can't you haha
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Nearly two stone before anyone noticed, now I've lost (nearly) 5 stone and 5 sizes, I get people noticing changes every 9 or 10lbs which I find funny, considering it took over 28lbs before anyone noticed to begin with.

It's different for everyone, and some people don't like to comment for fear of being rude. The most important thing is that you notice the changes :flowerforyou:
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow! that is great! How could they NOT notice??? That is a significant loss! Congratulations!

Because most people (myself included) are incredibly bad at observing what is around them. I just asked a colleague if her hair was darker - she'd actually had it cut - doh! Still it looked nice, and at least I noticed that.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I am down 24lbs and still don't hear much but then again unless you were in my close circle you didn't really see me with that extra 30lbs I gained in 9 months.

So if most people see me know, I guess I look like i always have. I think another 15lbs for me for everyone to notice.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the paper towel analogy? I am sure I am going to mess up a bit in the retelling, but here you go:

Imagine you are a full roll of paper towels and each sheet is a pound of fat.
    Take one sheet off. Do you see a difference? Probably not.
    Take another one. Probably still no difference.
    As you get closer to the center of the roll, however, each sheet wraps around the base more often, so each "layer" is more noticeable.

From personal experience? I had a ton to lose and the first 20-30 pounds were hardly noticeable at all. I blogged about it last summer, when I was at my lightest:
    http://coryida.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/a-timeline-of-my-progress-with-lots-of-pictures/
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I started back in August, 2011. What I did is I took a picture with my phone every time I register 2-3 LB weight loss. Same place, Same distance, Same position. From the time I took my first picture (254LBS) to today (180LBS), I could tell the difference after about 25 LBS weight loss.

Now, it's just fun to watch a FAT-TO-NOT-SO-FAT slide show :)
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone's story is different. I started this journey last year around Valentine's Day. I noticed my clothes getting much looser at about 15 pounds down. Other people didn't really comment until I had lost a lot more -- 40 pounds or so. I think part of the reason is because my husband and I are losing weight together. He loses weight very quickly, so his changing body is more dramatic and noticeable. Therefore I think people don't notice the change in me as much. It's a little disheartening, but I'm used to it. As a matter of fact my older brother didn't notice much any change in me until about a month ago. We work together and see each other every day. That definitely has something to do with it. Last month he asked me if I was sick because I was getting so 'skinny'. He was astonished when I told him how much weight I had lost in the past 10 months. lol
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My hubby recently (2 months) told me that he definitely has noticed...finally....and attributed that to the fact that we are constantly around each other....while others had began complimenting me in his present, I just guess he had to just take a hard look! lol...he was unsupportive in the beginning but recently has taken an interest in my journey. While others have noticed, they choose not to say anything but their look or double takes speaks volumes! LOL! Last week, while at my sons track meet, and group of acquaintances starting a chat on healthy eating....I spoke about a WW meal I had prepared and all of a sudden, eyes were on me and comments made....I noticed you loss but I didn't want to say anything.....so many people were around.....yes, you look great....all those comments were suspressed until I spoke showing my comfort level, then it was "socially" acceptable to speak up!....Guess it took nearly 50 lbs before comments were made. Humm...32lbs more to go to hit the 100lb mark....should be interesting!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I heard that it takes at least 4 weeks for you notice weight loss, 8 weeks for family and close friends to notice it and 12 weeks for everyone else to notice it.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My husband noticed at about 20. Most everyone else noticed about 30. It took my grandmother until 60 to notice the difference!
  • xxvogue
    xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    People started noticing at about 7-10 pounds for me. I dropped a pants size in approximately 10 pounds. I'm pretty short though!
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I started to notice a difference in my face around 10lbs or so. But the real changes didn't come until I start weight training. After about 6 weeks of lifting, I started to see huge improvements.
  • squishnfarfel
    Options
    I'm down 10lbs and I haven't noticed a difference at all. My dad made a comment last time I saw him though than I had "lost a lot of weight" and I see him about once a month.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    No comments for me yet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!