Fat Help

Options
Hey, I keep going really far over my fat limit each day. I use it up in just one meal. I usually have to choose between going over my fat and eating enough calories or not eating enough calories and keeping within my fat limit, I tend to choose the first option. Can anyone suggest me any low fat options or low fat meals?

Thanks (:

Replies

• byeachmoment
    Options
    What do you eat on a typical day?
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    For all we know your daily allowance for fat is very low so open up your diary so we can have a look and then offer you suggestions.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love fat. I am always over 30 - 40 grams. Learn what types of fats are good for you and you wont freak out over it
  • sarahlm20
    sarahlm20 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey I used to do that and I still do some of the time.

Number 1: Stay away from processed food.

Number 2: Research a few reciepes, you will start to enjoy cooking and new foods. I make a batch of a veg soup i found a week and it's there if i need it cuz you can freeze it!

Number 3: here's some examples of food I eat thats low calorie, full of flavour (i hate bland) and full of healthy food. (Trust me I lost a stone doing this so it may help you):

Homemade stirfry - I buy a packet of beef and use half of it and chuck lots of different veg in. I leave out noodles as it is just added calories which you don't really need as the stir-fry is filling enough. Using half the packet means you have some left over to use within the next 2 days.

Homemade soups: I know I keep saying homemade but when it's homemade you see what goes in and you can take out the bad added stuff that you get in tins. Although you can have tin soup if you wanted to stay away from the big broths and some tomato soups as they add lots of sugar and salt!

Salads: You can't go wrong with this to be honest! You just add what you like and you can slowly introduce things that you didn't like before like peppers, i hated them now i love them. I also use colslaw as a sauce instead of salad cream or mayo, lower calories plus you get extra veg in it!

Seafood: Most seafood is good for you as long as its not fried. When I have salad I tend to make a bowl of Prawns and make some homemade seafood sauce (tomato ketchup, mayo and squeeze of a lemon :D ) as a side dish. Full of good protein and not high calorie.

Veg: An obvious one! I used to just have a bowl of mix veg for tea but now I experiment more but eat lots of greens they are good for you.

Tortilla wraps: You can have whatever combo you want. I have salad with ham with a drop of mayo. Since there is no butter it's low cal compared to a cheese and cucumber sandwich!

Jacket Potato: So filling but yum. Yet again any combo you want. When I am out for a meal i tend to pick prawn mayo as a treat. Or you could have cheese and beans as long as you have something like veg later on in the day. Cottage cheese is good, I hate it plain so I have the cottage cheese with pineapple. Tuna and mayo. Lots of ideas!

Breakfast: I used to hate it but now i eat it, if i get up midday i will have it for lunch instead. Be careful though lots of cereal have sugar and salt added so stick to the boring ones. You will get used to the taste and you can add sugar without worrying about hidden sugars. I have weetabix with a tablespoon of sugar.

Snacks: Nuts, Raisins, Low cal yoghurt, fruit, crackers, a slice of ham

Well thats all I can think of atm. but feel free to add me as a friend or look at my food diary for help :)

Good luck :)

x
  • Matt_Wilken
    Options
    Hey I used to do that and I still do some of the time.

Number 1: Stay away from processed food.

Number 2: Research a few reciepes, you will start to enjoy cooking and new foods. I make a batch of a veg soup i found a week and it's there if i need it cuz you can freeze it!

Number 3: here's some examples of food I eat thats low calorie, full of flavour (i hate bland) and full of healthy food. (Trust me I lost a stone doing this so it may help you):

Homemade stirfry - I buy a packet of beef and use half of it and chuck lots of different veg in. I leave out noodles as it is just added calories which you don't really need as the stir-fry is filling enough. Using half the packet means you have some left over to use within the next 2 days.

Homemade soups: I know I keep saying homemade but when it's homemade you see what goes in and you can take out the bad added stuff that you get in tins. Although you can have tin soup if you wanted to stay away from the big broths and some tomato soups as they add lots of sugar and salt!

Salads: You can't go wrong with this to be honest! You just add what you like and you can slowly introduce things that you didn't like before like peppers, i hated them now i love them. I also use colslaw as a sauce instead of salad cream or mayo, lower calories plus you get extra veg in it!

Seafood: Most seafood is good for you as long as its not fried. When I have salad I tend to make a bowl of Prawns and make some homemade seafood sauce (tomato ketchup, mayo and squeeze of a lemon :D ) as a side dish. Full of good protein and not high calorie.

Veg: An obvious one! I used to just have a bowl of mix veg for tea but now I experiment more but eat lots of greens they are good for you.

Tortilla wraps: You can have whatever combo you want. I have salad with ham with a drop of mayo. Since there is no butter it's low cal compared to a cheese and cucumber sandwich!

Jacket Potato: So filling but yum. Yet again any combo you want. When I am out for a meal i tend to pick prawn mayo as a treat. Or you could have cheese and beans as long as you have something like veg later on in the day. Cottage cheese is good, I hate it plain so I have the cottage cheese with pineapple. Tuna and mayo. Lots of ideas!

Breakfast: I used to hate it but now i eat it, if i get up midday i will have it for lunch instead. Be careful though lots of cereal have sugar and salt added so stick to the boring ones. You will get used to the taste and you can add sugar without worrying about hidden sugars. I have weetabix with a tablespoon of sugar.

Snacks: Nuts, Raisins, Low cal yoghurt, fruit, crackers, a slice of ham

Well thats all I can think of atm. but feel free to add me as a friend or look at my food diary for help :)

Good luck :)

x

Sounds like torture
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    You can change your macros to allow for more fat. I eat about 50/30/20 of Fat/carbs/protien because that's what seems to keep me fueled properly. If you go under "goals" and click "change goals" and select "custom" you can set them to something more realistic for you.
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    Over the past week I've mainly been eating roast dinners and I do have a sweet tooth, my major weakness
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    Okay, I will do. Thanks (:
  • NattieJoan
    Options
    Thanks for your help (: I'll make sure to try some of those suggestions!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love fat. I am always over 30 - 40 grams. Learn what types of fats are good for you and you wont freak out over it
    Hah. I'm usually over 80 grams. Fat doesn't make you fat!
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    Grapefruit is an amazing food to have either as a main meal (breakfast or lunch) or to snack on. It's healthy, filling, fat free and actually aids your body in burning fat. I would suggest slowly introducing it into your diet. Good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Over the past week I've mainly been eating roast dinners and I do have a sweet tooth, my major weakness

Choose naturally low to moderate fat wholefoods and cooking methods and you will naturally make low to moderate fat meals. We all like those foods, doesn't mean we have to eat them on a daily basis. Concentrate on what you can and should be eating, you will be too full to eat so much unhealthy stuff. Start tracking fibre in your diet diary, that is far more important at your age than cholesterol.

Eat nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of colours - bright and dark not insipid ones - almost all these are low in fat. Add in three servings of reduced fat dairy, lean protein (meat, fish, eggs/ whites, dairy) at every meal: you are choosing pork and sausages both of which are super fatty. There are lean cuts of pork or choose other meats or, better still, fish. Your body needs some fats, the ones in oily fish are classed as essential, as important as vitamins and minerals.

Make all your carbs whole and low on the glycaemic index so you keep your blood sugar stable and don't crave so much sugar - lose the processed wheat, white potatoes and corn these behave exactly like sugar in the body. Eat more beans, lentils, barley and sweet potatoes with the skin. Consider having mash not roast, adding in other vegetables like carrot and cauliflower, also moderate serving sizes filling up on the veggies. Consider your mineral intake - wholegrains, beans, lentils nuts and seeds supply these.

Where are you getting all that junk food? Get it out of the house, carry healthy food to work, don't carry cash you don't NEED, don't grocery shop on an empty stomach and always have a list, don't go or near vending machines and corner shops that carry sweet stuff. Don't trigger yourself, don't have temptation staring you in the face.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This post suggests calculating how much fat and protein you should be eating based on your body weight calculations. You can adjust your ratios for MFP. My guess from glancing at your diary is that you aren't eating enough protein and probably not of fat, but you'd need to do the calculations.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • NattieJoan
    Options

Choose naturally low to moderate fat wholefoods and cooking methods and you will naturally make low to moderate fat meals. We all like those foods, doesn't mean we have to eat them on a daily basis. Concentrate on what you can and should be eating, you will be too full to eat so much unhealthy stuff. Start tracking fibre in your diet diary, that is far more important at your age than cholesterol.

Eat nine servings of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of colours - bright and dark not insipid ones - almost all these are low in fat. Add in three servings of reduced fat dairy, lean protein (meat, fish, eggs/ whites, dairy) at every meal: you are choosing pork and sausages both of which are super fatty. There are lean cuts of pork or choose other meats or, better still, fish. Your body needs some fats, the ones in oily fish are classed as essential, as important as vitamins and minerals.

Make all your carbs whole and low on the glycaemic index so you keep your blood sugar stable and don't crave so much sugar - lose the processed wheat, white potatoes and corn these behave exactly like sugar in the body. Eat more beans, lentils, barley and sweet potatoes with the skin. Consider having mash not roast, adding in other vegetables like carrot and cauliflower, also moderate serving sizes filling up on the veggies. Consider your mineral intake - wholegrains, beans, lentils nuts and seeds supply these.

Where are you getting all that junk food? Get it out of the house, carry healthy food to work, don't carry cash you don't NEED, don't grocery shop on an empty stomach and always have a list, don't go or near vending machines and corner shops that carry sweet stuff. Don't trigger yourself, don't have temptation staring you in the face.

Thank you, a lot of the meals on my food diary have been ones people have made for me so I need more control over the cooking of my food. I come home and my dad will have cooked me a roast dinner that I've been splitting in half due to the portion size.
    I've changed my food diary to track fibre instead like you've said.
    Carrying around spare cash always ruins me D: I've bought some Special K bars to try and replace the sweet junk I've been eating, so I'm still getting the sweet food but without all the fat.