Is your significant other scared of your weight loss??

Options
Okay, So I have a random..well not so random question..Do anyone's significant other sabotage their weight loss?? I think my boyfriend of 10 years is, OF COURSE NOT ON PURPOSE (MAYBE?). We were talking last night about my weight loss goals, and I asked him..Do you want to lose weight? He said no, it's not really a pressing issue, but his health scares me. He is 6'3 and weight 310-315 pounds. It's clear to me he's not happy, but he's the type who just doesn't care. So then I asked him " Do you want me to lose weight" of course being the wonderful man he is he says no. So I asked him why, and he said he does not want me to leave him, he says he knows I will if I lose the weight. Could this be why he sends me to the store to buy hunny buns? LOL He has been supportive in regards to getting me some workout videos thou. So I just don't know! One would think if he didn't want me to leave him, then he would just ask me to marry him already! Damn, it's been 10 years, but he said he wants to wait for marriage till after i'm done with my college. IDK just a random question..has anyone else experienced this??

-Chelsea

Replies

• ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Sadly I do. After losing 97 pounds I left my husband. He and I fought a lot though, just strange that I did it after the weight loss. My boyfriend and I are both losing weight and I worry about the same thing and he with me. The best thing is to just continue encouraging each other and not live on the what ifs. If your meant to be together, you'll stay together no matter what.
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Also, a family friend lost 101 pounds and left her high school boyfriend after 16 years.
  • CherokeeTopaz
    CherokeeTopaz Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well my hubby and I split before the weight loss. I'm trying to initiate a divorce now. I think if you really love each other.. and he can accept the new you after your weight loss that you'll be fine. Who knows.. maybe if he sees you making the effort that will make him want to make the effort too. :)
  • chelseabrown61
    Options
    Thanks! I told him I would not leave because of the weight loss, but I'm sure if we split...after I lose weight he will always blaim that. I told him I wont leave him because I get thin, but he says yeah right! LOL.
  • chelseabrown61
    Options
    I think he will try to lose weight once he see's me doing it because over the summer I lost 30 pounds (gained it back thou) and once 20 pounds was down he started watching his weight...he said he "doesnt want to get left behind" So i'm just going to stick to losing the weight, and hope he joins me along the way!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your bf's sentiment; my hubby of 17 years told me once the same exact thing about his fear of me leaving. And just yesterday we found out a friend of ours is getting divorced after his wife lost a bunch of weight and met some new guy in the gym...
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I didnt have this problem with a significant other, but with my entire family- I lost about 125 pounds, and all of my family continues to be in various stages of obesity. In the beginning, for the first 20 or 30 pounds, my family was supportive, and then as I lost more and more, they seemed to be less supportive, and in some instances, resentful of my transformation.

Part of this I think has to do with our perceptions of each other when we are in our families. It is very easy to get used to our families operating in very specific ways - if at any point a person deviates from the expected behavior, we become frustrated. I also think that a big component of this is that most people see change as terrifying and intimidating- and if we see change in those around us, if destabilizes us and makes us afraid. And since most people have a hard time with fear, it is much easier to be angry instead.

I used to resent my family for how they reacted to my change- now, I simply accept it as the way things are. Perhaps someday my family will not be so afraid of change- if so, wonderful! If not, then it could not be helped. I am proud of what I have done, and I will continue to work to be healthy and happy. That's what matters the most.
  • Shanellz
    Options
    My boyfriend of almost 6 years is nervous also. He seen what I "used" to look like and fears I am going to leave him. He is very supportive though.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    that's why we broke up.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    no. in fact he's one of the most supportive when it comes to my fitness.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    She's concerned at times, but she has nothing to worry about.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Sort of have this problem... He's not afraid that I'll leave (at least he hasn't voiced a concern such as this...) but ever since I began a healthier lifestyle last February (we've been together for 6 years), things have gotten weird between us. We're a lot more distant than we used to, mainly because I like to do active things such as kayaking, hiking, etc. now and he wants no part of it. I've tried including him, but it's like pulling teeth. I have gotten him to eat the healthier dinners that I cook, but it's not really "fixing" things.

He has recently told me that he's intimidated to come to the gym with me because he doesn't want me to embarrass him by lifting more than he does, so I'm starting to think that there's a little insecurity going on. He could stand to lose some weight, but I don't want to come right out and tell him that. But I do feel like we'd be a little closer if he'd come to the gym with me- but I don't want to force change on him if he doesn't want it. I feel like most relationships change when a partner makes a significant lifestyle change... It's just a matter of finding a way to make it work once things change.... I'm still working on that part :ohwell:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Nope she is not. We are in this together and we support each other. I guess I am one of the very lucky few in that regards.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    He's obviously not that concerned over the situation, otherwise he would make the effort to lose weight too.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    my husband is very, very supportive--he brags of my weight loss more than I do :)
    But. He has also expressed the worry of me leaving when I get in better shape. He thinks the opposite of me (I worry about him leaving me for a prettier girl, and he worries about me leaving him for a younger, hotter man) and it's funny sometimes. I think he has self-esteem issues but doesn't realize who he is :)
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I have almost transformed my whole body and my husband has not said ONE WORD. I get compliments almost daily but NOTHING from my husband. He wants to exercise but can't because of a bad hip (awaiting word on surgery). If I talk about a move I am trying to perfect my form on he acts like it's just so easy,,,,,I'm not doing it right,,,,,,,Well you ought to do like this..... I have been exercising and RESEARCHING for TWO YEARS!! But I know nothing and my exercising (and transformation) is just a girly tea party.......................
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    What actually motivated me is that my new boyfriend is really into his health.
    He's lost 40lbs so far and he is working on losing more.

I didn't want to be left behind.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive and has not ever suggested that weight loss will result in me leaving him. We are solid, though. I am sensitive to his ego. I lift weights so I spend my gym time in the "boys club" area with the free weights. I tell him (casually in conversation so it's not so obvious) that I haven't made any new friends and I never even talk to anyone because I am focused. It is 100% the truth and although it might not be necessary for me to tell him, I still feel like it is respectful and I'm sure he appreciates it on some level. I lose weight, I get fit and healthy, and I get strong and lift weights with the guys and I'm attractive (when I'm made up). So, although he would never admit insecurities, I want to reassure him.

On another note, what does finishing college have to do with marriage?
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have been with my boyfriend for almost 12 years and I know this...he has some insecurities but that's only because of his past. He tells me every day how beautiful I am and could care less if I lost the weight or not. BUT that being said, he also knows how unhappy I am right now, and how self conscious I am of myself. I've never been this heavy, I won't allow people to take pictures, I hide when I have to wear a bathing suit but those are my issues :laugh: And because he's seen how this affects me, he supports my weight loss 100%. He is helping one of his buddies deal with seperating from his wife after she lost a lot of weight and found a new man, and I think that did scare him right away but he know's there's a lot of differences between us and them. We have been to hell and back in our 12 years together and he knows I'm not about to leave him now because I've lost some weight and some other guy thinks I suddenly look hot. He's loved me at my best, and now at my worst, I don't think it get's any better than that.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive. I tell him that I want to be his trophy wife (because he deserves one) and he has expressed "yeah..but if you're my trophy wife, what does that make ME?". But other than that...he's a pretty confident, arrogant guy...he's not worried (that I know of...)