Such a thing as TOO MUCH exercise

Options
Is there such a thing as Too much exercise.

My exercise plan so far is

Monday – Gym 30 mins - 30 day shred -20 mins – TOTAL 50 MINS
Tuesday – Swimming 45 mins – TOTAL 45MINS
Wenesday – Same as Tuesday – TOTAL 45 MINS
Thursday – Same as Monday – TOTAL 50 MINS
Friday – Swimming 1hr – Zumba 1 hour TOTAL 120 MINS
Sunday – Zumba 1 hour TOTAL 60 MINS

Meaning an overall weekly total of 370 mins or 6 hours 10 mins.

The only thing i can see myself backing out of (if anything) is the 30day shred which is 40 mins. So would leave a weekly total of 330 mins or 5 ½ hours.
This is only taking into consideration proper exercise where i have taken time out to go a gym etc. This does not include long walks with family etc which are common when the weather gets a bit better.

Is this too much?

PS I LOVE SWIMMING so im more likely to stick to this if i only have to go to gym twice a week for proper cardio. The reason i want to do 30ds is to get cardio while also getting the weights to help tone.

Replies

• Carla246
    Carla246 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am NOT an expert, so I am curious to see what other folks post, but I do think you should be sure to give yourself an easy day or two- maybe that's your swim day for you. Your body needs to move, but it also needs recovery time. For me, my easy days are good walks, and on the other days I am training for a 5k and then a 10k or doing an hour-long yoga class (which is seriously hard for me!!).
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    What about resistance training...or are you happy with all that cardio? Unless the shred routine has some in it (don't know have not done it) Also, seven days a week exercising...um...if you have the energy and are eating enough I guess...I know I would get pretty bored though...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will be much more prone to injury if you over exercise. I was successfully doing the Shred and then felt strong enough to add in a rigorous stepper exercise on top of that. Now I am suffering from "runners knee" and have to rest for at least six weeks, losing most of my advances I had going. :sad:
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much your are eating and sleeping.

The body can adapt to huge training volumes over time, if you rest enough and eat enough.

Your exercise plan is not a particularly high workout volume though. Especially since it is pretty much just cardio, which you can recover from fast.
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Part of this is dependent on age and your goals. I think 6 days of exercising is great! It looks like it is mostly low impact exercising.
    I am wondering why the need for 30 mins at gymn and then doing a SHRED? Maybe if there was someway to increase the exercises at the gymn that would be a total of 50 mins and cut out the SHRED that day?
    Swim on Tuesday as you do. Possibly SHRED on Wednesday and swim?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Yes if your body isn't recovering from the workouts. Personally I train as about as much as you do in a week and have been for years with no issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look too much to me. I am 50 years old and work out 6 days a week...at least an hour a day and then take the dogs for a half hour walk.

I do boxing, weight lifting, cardio and swimming as well as a couple of classes at my gym so I mix up my exercise a lot.
  • bmstee03
    bmstee03 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience I need a day of rest or two a week. If I exercise everyday my weightloss seems to stall. I think my body needs recovery time.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    That looks like a normal well rounded workout routine. If you enjoy swimming, swim. Do it for 4 weeks and see how you feel. If you need to adjust after that...adjust.

However, like others have suggested I would throw in some more resistance traning.
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I know if I'm pushing myself too hard because I'm sore and tired and grumpy. If you push too hard, too fast, at best you won't be able to stick with it, at worst you'll injure yourself.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Sorry should have been clear. I cant do any more that 30 mins gym as my partner has football (im going straight to gym after work) and someone needs to be there for our daughter. So i go home give her tea while she eating ill do the 30ds as i already have it and when i use it im out of breath sore but feel great so i know it works. It also has the weights in it which as people have said my workout is primarily cardio so want to incorporate weights, as i know this can help lose weight, tone up and burn more calories.

I love swimming so thats my rest days although i have saturday completely free of exercise except walks etc.

I work full time with a 3hour daily commute, have my daughter to look after and also doa full time university course and am studying for my CIMA exams (professional accounting exams). SO my life is very busy with minimal time to exercise.

Im also working on the diet although this is proving harder this time around! X
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    As long as you arent stressing your nervous system with heavy things 7 days a week - and from your schedule it just sounds like you are active.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much your are eating and sleeping.

The body can adapt to huge training volumes over time, if you rest enough and eat enough.

Your exercise plan is not a particularly high workout volume though. Especially since it is pretty much just cardio, which you can recover from fast.

completely agree.

Listen to your body, especially at first while it adapts to the new routine.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes there is such a thing as to much exercise but it does not look like you are over doing it to me.

If your immune system is compromised, like you start getting sick a lot, then you may want to re evaluate but this is defiantly not over doing it. Good job.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hurting after you're done, or exhausted, then it's fine. Thirty minutes to an hour a day is optimal, but if you are enjoying yourself, you're doing fine, imo.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    As long as you arent stressing your nervous system with heavy things 7 days a week - and from your schedule it just sounds like you are active.

Agree with this^^

The only way I see it being too much is if you were training for a competition. .or the like. If swimming is your passion.... push yourself further and work harder at this. That way you know you will stick with it and improve on a skill you are already fond of.
    0400772 Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for all your help. Im 56 lbs over my ideal weight suffer from asthma and am generally unfit so i want something that will ease me in rather than going in all guns blazing and stopping the following week!

Any ways how to incorporate weights into anything else?
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you're getting enought rest and enough to eat and you'll be fine.

As far as weights go, I would drop either the 30DS or Zumba and starting lifting heavy 2 - 3 days a week if you want to gain muscle and look firmer.