Running while pregnant!

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When I worked as a lifeguard we had a lot of preggo woman come and swim laps. It's probably the best form of exercise you can do.

I had a friend who was unable to run due to complications so she got a floater belt and "ran" laps in the pool throughout her pregnancy.

As for the OP - not yet, but hoping to.

ETA - oh and congrats.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    doctor here and doctor there. cant you americans think for yourself or is it really than inexpensive going to your doc. sorry just a rant.

Wow. Well, when it comes to the health and well-being of my baby, of course I would consult the Internet rather than seeing a doctor, obviously. :noway:

Obviously a fake profile, Dana. Don't bother.

Good point, hon...thx :happy:
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    omg you need one of these! I will be running (and rocking this shirt) when I get pregnant again.

http://fortwofitness.com/themes/running-for-two/running-for-two-racerback-tank-top?color=Berry
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    doctor here and doctor there. cant you americans think for yourself or is it really than inexpensive going to your doc. sorry just a rant.
    Strong first post.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Totally fine. I ran my first and only 10k with some married and expecting friends of mine. He was a triathlete and she had run a couple of marathons. They only ran that day to support me. The looked like she was smuggling a basketball....and she beat me to the finish line by 17 mins. *kitten* was embarrassing, yo.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Fine to run if you already a runner and if it feels OK. Listen to your body! I haven't done much running since I fell pregnant mostly becaue of the boob pain, however I hate running at the best of times so it was a goopd excuse. On the otherhand I am still doing weights that many would concider pretty full-on, but to me aren't. I am 7months pregnant.

Just be careful to hydrate well, we're in the middle of a heatwave here and I am just sooooo hot, that I'm finding it hard to do anything :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

uGPBw.gif

To the OP, there are many women that run while pregnant. As long as you get the okay from your doctor, good luck!
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I roller bladed and played volley ball up to about 5 months with my first pregnancy. If its okay with the doctor....alll good!
  • ajnlee25
    ajnlee25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I used to run, but i almost miscarried. It was scary. If anything feels off consult Dr asap. Mine restricted activity & I haven't run since. Its been a year. ds is 5 mos now. Thinking of starting again. Big fan of the stationary bike now :-). I am definitely out of shape tho. But lo's safety is most important to me. He's the most adorable little man ever! Of course, I'm biased.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Totally fine. I ran my first and only 10k with some married and expecting friends of mine. He was a triathlete and she had run a couple of marathons. They only ran that day to support me. The looked like she was smuggling a basketball....and she beat me to the finish line by 17 mins. *kitten* was embarrassing, yo.

Lol, I read the "Totally fine. I ran my first and only 10k" and thought you were going somewhere else with that.
  • OptimisticlyOptimistic
    Options
    Just don't run with scissors while pregnant. :o)
  • MissyJessy
    MissyJessy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    when i was pregnant and working retail a guy i worked with was very concerned when i would walk down the stairs he thought the baby was just sloshing around in there :laugh:
  • Myscza
    Myscza Posts: 5
    Options
    The Army and Marine Corps both have maternity PT programs. I know because I was pregnant in the Army and still ran 3 miles 3 times a week. It was all monitored by doctors and nurses and we had specially trained instructors!

And a plus side of continuing to exercise during pregnancy? They say it shortens the duration of labour, labour doesn't hurt as bad and you recover much quicker! My labour was an hour and 3 months later, I passed my AFPT with a 280 on a scale of 300!

As long as your doctor says you're ok and the baby is ok, go for it!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes, you can continue your normal routine, just don't increase it ...lady that lives across from me ran her whole pregnancy.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    thats awesome
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    i ran up until I was almost 6 months pregnant, then I switched to walking. I think you'll figure out what works for you. I had to hold the baby up because he was bouncing up and down on my bones...so I'd run a lap holing him up, walk a lap. I remember that. And realizing I was kinda hard core about the fitness thing.

Good luck!
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!

There is a woman at my gym who is pretty far along. I think she is probably about 7 months or so.. her tummy is getting pretty big!

She is on the treadmill walking every time I am there. I think she does about 30 mins at a fairly brisk pace,

It all depends on how active you were before you became pregnant. My sister in law was in great shape but not an exerciser and her Dr advised her not to do anything active.

So it all depends what the Dr has to say.

Hope your pregnancy goes well :flowerforyou:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    My neighbor ran up till she was 8 months. Not sure I could have done it but she rocked it!
  • cjlong70
    Options

Wow. Well, when it comes to the health and well-being of my baby, of course I would consult the Internet rather than seeing a doctor, obviously. :noway:

Obviously a fake profile, Dana. Don't bother.

Good point, hon...thx :happy:

Your reply was awful funny though! :)
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Good lord. You obviously have no idea how many check ups women have with their OB while pregnant. :noway:

Oh sweet baby jesus!! I just saw that post was from a woman!

What the hell is wrong with the world.