Strength training

I just started a program last week. I KNOW that lifting heavier is better for the goals I have, but I'm curious.

Should I lift to failure in the beginning?
I have 3 sets of 12 reps for my exercises. If I want to maintain form and complete the reps, I go lower (5 lbs in some cases) I CAN lift heavier but will probably only knockout 5-7 reps successfully.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,904 Member
    Strength training is in the realm of 5-8 reps. 12 and above are for muscle endurance training.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    If you lift a lower amount of weight to complete your full sets of reps, you are only building endurance of how your muscles work.

If you raise your weight, and only do the lower amount of reps, you are teaching your muscles to get stronger (building).

If you don't want to see any changes from lighting weights, then keep doing the full sets/reps at the lower weight, but if you are looking to gain muscle, and ultimately lose fat, then you should probably focus on increasing that weight.

At least this is how I understand it.
  • FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    If you lift a lower amount of weight to complete your full sets of reps, you are only building endurance of how your muscles work.

If you raise your weight, and only do the lower amount of reps, you are teaching your muscles to get stronger (building).

If you don't want to see any changes from lighting weights, then keep doing the full sets/reps at the lower weight, but if you are looking to gain muscle, and ultimately lose fat, then you should probably focus on increasing that weight.

At least this is how I understand it.
    That makes sense. I'm not trying to lose weight perse, just fat. I'm 5'4 and 116 lbs. Would love to look like Jamie Eason
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member

"ONLY" building endurance makes it sound like it's a bad thing. You'll still get stronger in the beginning since it's new to your body to be lifting weight and you will still tone and start to look "defined" or "toned" as people say.

So don't think 12 reps is a bad thing. If you're a beginner I actually recommend this as opposed to going in trying to lift heavy and hurting yourself just because that's what everyone on a website told you to do.

Remember, the people telling you to lift heavy are experienced in it. A beginner should learn form over weight first, then move up the weight.

Edited because I should learn to proofread before pressing submit...
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Did you just start the Jamie Eason program?
  • FitbeTMF
    My program says to lift at 60% for the first month. Just don't want it to be too easy either. Grr.

@hockeyed yes. starting week two today
  • bxbutterfly
    bxbutterfly Posts: 47 Member
    ^^^ i was going to ask the same thing? if you are looking at her livefit program. she talks about weights and reps in the notes area. I'm looking at starting tomorrow.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    My program says to lift at 60% for the first month. Just don't want it to be too easy either. Grr.

You're exactly right

I can help put that in perspective. If it tells you to lift at 60% for the first month and you can easily get 15 reps at that weight. Then go up in weight. You definitely don't want to waste an entire month if it's too easy.

Sounds like you have the right idea!! Just watch your form! If you're following a program that's great. If you're not, just try to go up in weight every week or every other week, but remember NEVER lose your form!
  • bxbutterfly
    If its too easy she says to up the weight but not so much that you wont be able to complete the reps and keep good form.
  • FitbeTMF
    If its too easy she says to up the weight but not so much that you wont be able to complete the reps and keep good form.
    I think that is my problem lol....5's are too easy and 8's are too hard. Guess I'll have to just suck it up and lift heavier #Beastmode.
  • bxbutterfly
    I think that is my problem lol....5's are too easy and 8's are too hard. Guess I'll have to just suck it up and lift heavier #Beastmode.

GO FOR IT!!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    If you're just beginning keeping it simple and sticking to some kind of StrongLifts / Starting Strength type program is probably best. Once you've been training longer you can help build strength for main lifts like the Squat and Bench press by doing some supporting exercises or even high-rep dumbbell exercises (Repetition Effort).

To answer another question, you don't want to lift to failure for every exercise on every workout day as it can be tiring to your nervous system.