Started a week ago and haven't seen any loss?

Options
I have that feeling again and have not lost any weight this week and this is the time I feel like giving up? I am still at my original weight I was when I started. I have been logging and exercising for about a week and feel I should see some kind of loss.... this is when I get depressed and want to quit.

Replies

• BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    holy crap give it time, a week is not enough. Keep going it will happen.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    if youve been exercising, you're probablly adding muscle. Keep it up, it will start to come off
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Go and read your profile quote again. Give it time. You can do this:flowerforyou:
  • runningwoodpecker
    Options
    holy crap give it time, a week is not enough. Keep going it will happen.

Also your diary is not open so we cant see what you are eating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    After one week?? It's likely to take anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks to see progress, depending on your circumstances. But one thing I can promise you, giving up will NOT get you results. Ever.
  • Texgal9816
    Texgal9816 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and don't give up!! Results aren't always in the pounds lost on the scale..they can be in inches, energy ect.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    if youve been exercising, you're probablly adding muscle. Keep it up, it will start to come off

You can't add that much muscle in a week (especially not at a calorie deficit!)! If you weren't working out before, or have increased the intensity of your workouts, what's really happening is that your muscles are retaining water and glycogen as part of the healing process. Think of it like if you sprain your ankle, it swells, right? Same thing is happening when your muscles are sore from working out, there are tiny tears in the tissue and they swell a bit. When this happens, you're likely to either maintain or even possible gain a bit of weight. As your body adjusts to the workouts, you will start losing weight.

And yes, it would be helpful to be able to see your diaries so we can give constructive advice on your eating as well.
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Somtimes it does take a couple of weeks to see any loss at all, Keep going if you carry on with the food and exercise you will see results.
  • like_milk
    like_milk Posts: 79 Member
    Options

That is not happening.

What has happened is that only a week has passed and that's much too soon to see real results, if any! Your weight can fluctuate by as much a 5lbs due to any manner of things (that has nothing to do with fat loss) so ignore the scale and keep up a healthy lifestyle. If you don't see any changes in a month it might be worth considering double checking your diet/fitness but until then try not to worry about it.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You should be making a change for life, if you are ready to quit after one week you are not in the right mental place to get healthy. Are you healthier than a week ago, have you been eating far more nutritious foods as well as the exercise? If so congratulate yourself on that. Results come in many and varied forms.

Do your children really care about the number on the scale, or does it matter more to them long term that their mother taught them to enjoy fruit and vegetables oily fish nuts and seeds, to moderate serving sizes, to be active, that she lives to a ripe old age and has fun along the way (mental wellbeing = health)?
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A week? The first THREE weeks of WW I went up. THEN once my body got used to exercise and eating right the pounds started coming off. Come back to the discussion in a month if you have the same issue - and also open your food diary.
  • SunshineDecember
    SunshineDecember Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It's gonna take life changes, not quick fixes. Otherwise you'll just gain it all back, once you've reached your goal. Take it one step at a time, and realize that the habits you are building today to lose weight have to be sustainable, not for a week, or a month, or a year, but a life time.

That's not to say that I don't know the feeling though, 'cause I totally do. I wish I could just fast forward to when I'm at my goal weight. Just gotta believe in yourself, and remember you didn't gain the weight in a week - it won't come off in a week either. Keep holding on, girl. You can do it!
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

To be real, you aren't adding muscle yet...the maximum you can add per week is .5 lb

Keep going, I had had a month where I lost like 3-4 pounds and I was use to losing 10, but if you keep going, it WILL happen if you stick with it...one day you will be at -10, and it seems like the next you are at -60....keep at it!
  • samerzz16
    samerzz16 Posts: 102
    Options
    Honestly one week is nothing. It will take at least a few weeks to properly see even a little bit of weight loss. If you think progress will come that easy, I hate to break it to you, but it wont. Just keep moving forward and push to reach your goal because I promise once you start to see the weight loss, it will be the best feeling you could ever have. And that itself is enough motivation to keep going. Its easy to throw in the towel and give up but where will get you? You will be stuck in the same position and situation you were in before you even started. You can do this! The MFP army is here to keep you motivated.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Please take a much longer view (1 week is only about 0.02% of a lifetime) and do not pay as much attention to the scale. The scale is a result not the process. The process is a simple set of steps:
    1. Set your target (say lose 1 lb a week for 52 weeks).
    2. Log your daily eating and exercise.
    3. Ensure that your average net weekly calories are under your target. If not then eat less and exercise more.
    4. Do this for a long period of time. Where a long period is at least 2-3 months.

My personal experience on this now 8 month (~ 32 weeks) is that some weeks the scale happens to shows a weight loss on the 1 week mark and sometimes not but over the long run the weight is lost.

BTW - I weigh myself everyday (roughly the same time, always the same place) and it is fascinating to watch the variance. One observation so far is that how my weight chnages has almost nothing to do with how I am feeling. Some days I am feeling heavy and dispirited and suddenly the weight is gone and other days I feel like I have done everything right and should be lighter and the scale jumps up (a lot). However, my weight change has always followed my long term net average calorie intake. Meaning when this is below my target the weight goes away.

Sorry for long post. Hope this helps.
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    BTW - I weigh myself everyday (roughly the same time, always the same place) and it is fascinating to watch the variance. One observation so far is that how my weight chnages has almost nothing to do with how I am feeling. Some days I am feeling heavy and dispirited and suddenly the weight is gone and other days I feel like I have done everything right and should be lighter and the scale jumps up (a lot). However, my weight change has always followed my long term net average calorie intake. Meaning when this is below my target the weight goes away.
    Ditto.
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Took me a month to start losing weight....clothes started feeling looser sooner though. Sometimes you lose inches before pounds. Don't let the scale frustrate you.
  • tigstoy
    Options
    thats the problem with society these days, everyone wants a quick fix. You didn't gain it overnight, or even in a week. Give your body time and look at the big picture, not the little 4x4 square your looking at to tell you if you have lost weight or not.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    Give yourself three more weeks & you'll be shocked. Make sure that you're eating enough, too. My first month I ate 1200 (net 800-900) & didn't see anything. Now that I'm eating properly (1700-1800 a day) & strength training, I see results after a month! They're tiny, but they're there & slowly building up to something grand. You can do this! Don't look at the scale, look at the inches falling off. You'll feel much better that way :smile:
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. Patience. Seriously.