i hate my gut!

Options
Eating well and working out (kickboxing, swimming, walking, and the ellipitica) have done great for general weight loss. Now how do I tighten my mid section? no, i do not do sit ups. there has got to be another way? I also want to work on toning my arms but all the big weight lifting contraptions at the gym are intimidating. haha help anyone?

Replies

• bmiley
    bmiley Posts: 2
    Options
    Pilates is very good for slendering the mid section.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Pilates can tone your core. Along with yoga. It won't get you ripped in a hurry, and it won't eliminate any fat lurking in the area. As far as that goes you just have to keep losing. A LOT of people (including myself) lose the gut dead last. The core work will just help there be toned muscle underneath for when the fat is gone.

As far as your arms, if you're scared of the weight equipment grab some free weights and go with those. You can work all the same muscles using free weights and never have to go hear a contraption. I would have been terrified of them too if a gym buff friend of mine hadn't walked me through them.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/free_weights.php

Those are some free weights exercises.

Just remember do not go overboard with the amount of weight you use. Smaller weights and more reps can build leaner muscle instead of bulk anyway. Also you don't want to pull anything.

Good luck!
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    I hate my gut too. I hate when I stretch it kind of hurts cause' my belly, to the side anwyay, it's like when did this happen!?!! I do weight lifting with 5 pounds like for 5 minutes, I dont want to be muscle so I always get scared if I do a lot of lifting. I got over yoga and pilates, I hate slow pace things :/ But you know it works so.
  • kamakazilover
    Options
    actually, sit ups aren't that great for you, so you're not losing out there at all. standard crunches will never fail you though, especially if you are using proper form.

ab machines at the gym are intimidating. i'm not saying they don't work, but you CAN get a flatter stomach at home.

if you're really having issues with the midsection, begin with your diet. see if you can go a week without sugar, processed or natural, and heavy starches (like potatoes, rice, or bread). measure your midsection beforehand and take a measurement a week later. i can guarantee you will have lost something in your belly. of course, talk with your dr. before trying anything drastic. i'm not advocating the adkin's or south beach diet here. sugar is scientifically proven to be your belly fat's worst enemy, along with a sedentary lifestyle.

i'd also like to suggest turbo jam by beachbody. i lost over 30 pounds on that program and my ab muscles were apparent but not ripped. half of the workout is standing, the other half is on the ground and can be easily modified to your bodies specific needs. you might be able to get it from a friend or on ebay. it might come with the other basic turbo jam workouts, which i highly suggest. the entire program can be modified to your capabilities, and i definitely had better results with this program ab-wise than with hip hop abs. plus, you can use these workouts if you're unable to get to the gym that day and squash any of your chances of saying "i didn't have the time to get a workout in today."

you can do it. i hate my gut too after gaining back a lot of the weight i've lost. we can do it together! and don't give up. you can have the abs you want.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My wellness coach said that cardio is good for losing in the midsection. I upped my cardio and that's where I lost it. just a thought.
  • rkascak
    rkascak Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    www.exercisetv.tv > workout videos > free full length > cindy whitmarsh > incredible abs

I love doing this video, it really works my abs
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Pilates is very good for slendering the mid section.
    i agree start doing push ups for toning arms crunches, situps ,planks
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    actually, sit ups aren't that great for you, so you're not losing out there at all. standard crunches will never fail you though, especially if you are using proper form.

This is absolutely true. Doing sit-ups is horrible for your back. Once you start going farther up than standard crunch form you stop using your abs and start pulling on your back. It will cause more problems than it is worth.

There are a variety of ways to do crunches and ab work that will help a lot with toning all the different ab muscles and don't suck nearly as much as sit ups.