How do you help a grieving family member?

RavenBeauty87
RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
I got a call, right before work, that my step-grandpa had died. Small back story, he has been part of my life since I was very little but there was a point where my dads family and I didn't speak for 7-8 years. Even so I was never close to him but I am very saddened that he died. I started crying because I think about how my grandma and the rest of the family feels. My grandmother is my boss, my aunt is the book keeper, and my cousins work other departments. I'm the social service director and I went ahead and went to work. Was I wrong for that? I asked my aunt if there was anything I need to do and she said no and I asked my dad as well. I told them to please call me if there was anything I could do even if it was making phone calls. Everyone is coming in my office saying that they are sorry and I'm saying “Thank you I appreciate that.”

Everyone seems shocked that I came to work but I don't have vacation or sick days and if I don't work my 40 hours I can hardly pay the bills.

My problem is I'm socially awkward as is and I don't know what to do in this situation. In my mind I'm giving my grandma some time to grieve and get over the shock of her husband of 26 years dying this morning. My dad is coming down this afternoon and I'll go over too.

My question is what else can I do? What is appropriate in this situation? I want to help and in the future I don't want to look like the cold hearted grandchild. I handle grief differently so I'm not sure what to do.