Training for a half marathon

Options
Hi everyone!
I have been running pretty consistently for a year and a half now. I have a few 5k's under my belt and an working on building my running resume in 2013. I have a 10k in February and a half marathon on March. This is the training schedule I am following:
http://mba.tuck.dartmouth.edu/pages/clubs/triathlon/training/Half_Marathon.htm

For those of you who have already fun half and full marathons, I'm curious what kinds of advice you have to offer. What did someone tell you that helped you out? What does your current self wish your past self knew?

Any nuggets of info are appreciated.

Replies

• runningforlife68
    Options
    I ran my first half and loved it! There are some changes that I have made for the upcoming half in May. 1) Most training programs stopped at 10 miles. I trained to 10 miles.....and stopped. My last 3 miles where pretty tough. So I am going to do what I thought I should have done in the first place and train beyond... say 14 miles. Also legs gave out way earlier than anything else. I have incorporated more lifting into my workouts. Also I started out sticking to a plan no matter what with no flexibility. I found on hard days that it would be 104 degrees out and on slow days it would be cooler or I had more energy. Keep the workouts flexible. Some days 10 miles just won't happen but don't just not run go out run the best you can and carry on. In the end it all comes together.
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    Thank you!
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Here are my few nuggets of info, for both training and race day:
    1. Become best friends with sports slick!
    2. Don't try to run in your worn out shoes. Get a proper fitting shoe and then track the miles you put on them, so you know when to replace them.
    3. Don't try anything new on race day. If they hand out a different Gu flavor or something you want to try, stash it in your shirt or pocket or something for another training day.
    4. Don't wear the race t-shirt for the race day. (Correlates to #3 :smile: ) Several reasons - they chafe like no other, you won't be able to identify yourself as easily in race photos, your friends/family won't be able to identify you as quickly.
    5. The most important to me - be flexible on your training schedule. Some days you can't help what comes up. Don't try to make up the missed run the next day. Let that one go. If you find you are consistenly missing runs, then take a look at the overall schedule and see how you can move the training runs around to be more conducive to your work/family schedule
  • aj445
    aj445 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did my first half last year. My longest run was 10 miles. That would have been fine. 100% however as a newbie racer I went out WAY too fast. If there are pacers in your race I suggest finding one and keeping them in site. Once I realized how fast I'd gone out I slowed down picked the first pace bunny I could and stayed with them. Worked out fine. Ran much faster than training runs, and while very tired at the end made it through. We'll see what happens with the marathon this year haha

Also wanted to add. I was in 2 minor car accidents while training and had to take 3 weeks off - I did a 4 week program. Due to kids and life I only managed 1 or 2 runs some weeks. So you can do it :)
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in 2011, three halfs in 2012, and am signed up for four spring halfs in 2013 (and planning my first marathon in October 2013). I think you've got great advice already, but here would be my additions:

1. Treat your long runs like practice runs for race day so you can find out what works. Experiment on what to eat for breakfast, how long before you run to eat breakfast, what fuel to use during the run, etc. For instance, I will already have my most comfortable outfit picked out long before race day (one that I've worn for several long runs, and have different weather condition outfits ready). I know that my best combo is oatmeal with pb2 and coffee exactly one hour before my run (gives me time to ahem, use the bathroom, before leaving the house and the oatmeal time to digest a bit. I know gel's tear my stomach up, so I use chomps. I know the race course will have water stops approximately every 2 miles, so on long run days, I try to take a drink every 2 miles to practice.

2. Definitely run with a pace group. The pace group will feel so slow at the beginning, but by mile 10, when you still have energy, you will be thanking them. I ran my first half without them and it was awful. I went out way too fast, walked way too much, and said that was my one and only half. Yea right, signed up for the same half the next year. Went out with the pace group for all 3 of my halfs last year and loved it. It makes the race fun as the crowd will shout "looking great 2:10!" or whatever group you're with, you get great advice from the pacers, you have people to talk to if you want, and they will push you to keep up. Love pace groups, can't recommend them enough.

3. Get outside and run. For my first half, I was on my treadmill way too much. So for 2012 races, I ran all my long runs outside, regardless of weather conditions, and did whatever during the week (combo of treadmill and outside as it depends on when/what I could fit in with full time job, 2 kids, and husband). I was so much stronger and better prepared for my 2012 races.

4. Buy Body Glide. Use it anywhere you chafe.

5. Run the race course for a long run leading up to the race, if you can. Or at least run similar elevations (i.e., don't train on all flats if the course is hilly).

6. Given it's your first half, I probably wouldn't train beyond 13 miles, but I do recommend training to 12.

7. Make sure you have been fitted for good shoes at your local running store and replace them when they recommend (usually between 300 - 500 miles).

Hope that helps!
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    haven't looked at your training schedule, but if the mileage decreases in the last week to two weeks, that's called a Taper. Pretty much any plan for a half should have a good taper in it. Respect the taper. You'll feel like at the end of the (now to your newly honed and trained self) 3 miles like you can run another 6. You can! But you shouldn't. Just do the three. You're building up a reserve to tap out on race day. You don't build it, you can't tap it. You'll probably be able to run the half if you don't taper (you just ran 10 miles, 13 isn't that much more), but it won't be your best possible performance.

Personally, I get taper rage like no other. I want to run many, many miles, and if I cant run many miles I want to kill everybody I see, and then run anyway. I really hate the taper. So I ride my bike, trying to keep my heart rate down and hill climbing to a minimum. I do other activities like yoga or tai chi, that aren't super vigorous but require a lot of focus and get me through it. And I plan a lot of quiet alone time so I don't drive my friends and family (and self) nuts. First time it happened to me I thought I was losing my mind. Really wish someone would have told me Taper Rage is perfectly normal. (And it goes away on Race Day, to be replaced with...).

Second: don't sign up for any races in the week after your Glorious Victory (race day). Chances are, you can still sign up the next week or the week after, when the endorphins have cleared and you get back on a realistic training schedule. But don't go home, high off the "Holy Crap I Can Run Forever" feeling and then sign up for, oh, say, an 18 mile trail run three weeks later (it was my first trail run ever, and my worst idea ever, though I finished). It may seem like a good idea. If it really is, it will be a good idea when you return to planet earth.

Endorphins are tricky.
  • aswearingen22
    Options
    I just looked at your training schedule. 8 weeks, running only 3 days a week, and long run only up to 10 miles, yikes. I'm sure you'll finish, but it wouldn't be as strong as you could finish and I think you could be better prepared at the starting line. I really recommend checking out Hal Higdon's Novice 1 and Novice 2 training plans...they're free, just google.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in 2011, three halfs in 2012, and am signed up for four spring halfs in 2013 (and planning my first marathon in October 2013). I think you've got great advice already, but here would be my additions:

1. Treat your long runs like practice runs for race day so you can find out what works. Experiment on what to eat for breakfast, how long before you run to eat breakfast, what fuel to use during the run, etc. For instance, I will already have my most comfortable outfit picked out long before race day (one that I've worn for several long runs, and have different weather condition outfits ready). I know that my best combo is oatmeal with pb2 and coffee exactly one hour before my run (gives me time to ahem, use the bathroom, before leaving the house and the oatmeal time to digest a bit. I know gel's tear my stomach up, so I use chomps. I know the race course will have water stops approximately every 2 miles, so on long run days, I try to take a drink every 2 miles to practice.

2. Definitely run with a pace group. The pace group will feel so slow at the beginning, but by mile 10, when you still have energy, you will be thanking them. I ran my first half without them and it was awful. I went out way too fast, walked way too much, and said that was my one and only half. Yea right, signed up for the same half the next year. Went out with the pace group for all 3 of my halfs last year and loved it. It makes the race fun as the crowd will shout "looking great 2:10!" or whatever group you're with, you get great advice from the pacers, you have people to talk to if you want, and they will push you to keep up. Love pace groups, can't recommend them enough.

3. Get outside and run. For my first half, I was on my treadmill way too much. So for 2012 races, I ran all my long runs outside, regardless of weather conditions, and did whatever during the week (combo of treadmill and outside as it depends on when/what I could fit in with full time job, 2 kids, and husband). I was so much stronger and better prepared for my 2012 races.

4. Buy Body Glide. Use it anywhere you chafe.

5. Run the race course for a long run leading up to the race, if you can. Or at least run similar elevations (i.e., don't train on all flats if the course is hilly).

6. Given it's your first half, I probably wouldn't train beyond 13 miles, but I do recommend training to 12.

7. Make sure you have been fitted for good shoes at your local running store and replace them when they recommend (usually between 300 - 500 miles).

Hope that helps!

^^^ All of those things.

And definitely don't try anything new on race day. I think someone else already mentioned that, but it's worth mentioning again. Practice a long run in the clothes you're going to wear on race day. Eat the same breakfast the mornings of the long run that you're going to eat on race day. Try to start a couple of your long runs at the same time the race is going to start (i.e. the race is at 8 a.m., start your long runs at 8 a.m.)

Don't skip the cross training days. Having a strong core is important for endurance running.

On race day, you're going to start out too fast in the excitement of the race. Get it in check quickly so you won't burn out at the end. Sprint to the finish!

And this is super important... Smile for the cameras!!! I have some super horrid race photos from a few races were I wasn't paying attention, but I also have some really great photos from races where I was on the look out for the cameras. You'll totally appreciate these photos many years from now :)

The post-race beer and the post-race shower are two of the most amazing feelings in the world.

Good luck with training! Have fun!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I've just finished planning my training for my first Half Marathon as well. I have a 16 week plan but 20 weeks to accomplish it :happy: I've decided to run some races which actually correspond to my training plan, a 10k the end of this month then a 12km two weeks later and then a 15km on April 7th. Because of my work and life schedule I have to do my training on my own but I have a good plan and I'm sure I can stick to it! Good luck (friend request sent!)
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have run 15 half marathons so far. It's my favorite distance to run. I recommend having good music to run to if you like listening while you run. Don't listen at first, enjoy the excitement of the start. Save it for when you're getting tired. Cross train enough that you don't get sick of running. The weekly long run is the most important thing. If you can, do a long run of race length or longer for the added psychological boost it gives you, but if you end up not doing that, don't worry. A long run of 10 is sufficient to ensure you can do the 13. When in doubt underfuel rather than overfuel. It's a lot better to be low on energy than to be nauseated or get a side ache.

Don't worry too much about time for your first race. You will have plenty of opportunities to improve on your first time if you wish. Just enjoy the race and save enough energy that you can finish with a smile on your face. And finally my favorite quote I've seen while racing: "Finishing dead last is better than didn't finish, and didn't finish beats everyone who never started." Do your best and be proud of it!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    haven't looked at your training schedule, but if the mileage decreases in the last week to two weeks, that's called a Taper. Pretty much any plan for a half should have a good taper in it. Respect the taper. You'll feel like at the end of the (now to your newly honed and trained self) 3 miles like you can run another 6. You can! But you shouldn't. Just do the three. You're building up a reserve to tap out on race day. You don't build it, you can't tap it. You'll probably be able to run the half if you don't taper (you just ran 10 miles, 13 isn't that much more), but it won't be your best possible performance.

Personally, I get taper rage like no other. I want to run many, many miles, and if I cant run many miles I want to kill everybody I see, and then run anyway. I really hate the taper. So I ride my bike, trying to keep my heart rate down and hill climbing to a minimum. I do other activities like yoga or tai chi, that aren't super vigorous but require a lot of focus and get me through it. And I plan a lot of quiet alone time so I don't drive my friends and family (and self) nuts. First time it happened to me I thought I was losing my mind. Really wish someone would have told me Taper Rage is perfectly normal. (And it goes away on Race Day, to be replaced with...).

Second: don't sign up for any races in the week after your Glorious Victory (race day). Chances are, you can still sign up the next week or the week after, when the endorphins have cleared and you get back on a realistic training schedule. But don't go home, high off the "Holy Crap I Can Run Forever" feeling and then sign up for, oh, say, an 18 mile trail run three weeks later (it was my first trail run ever, and my worst idea ever, though I finished). It may seem like a good idea. If it really is, it will be a good idea when you return to planet earth.

Endorphins are tricky.

QFT. I'm tapering for my marathon this weekend and its driving me nuts.

One thing you might want to consider is your equipment for long runs. I run with an Amphipod belt for liquid, and it has a pouch for Gu. Learn how often you need your fuel.

Also since your runs are long you'll have to cover a lot of ground and it can be a pain to pre-plan that. Look into a GPS watch. Doesn't have to crazy with features. A nice Timex Marathon Trainer or Garmin FR10 are around $100 - $120 and are simple watches that basically tell you how far and fast you're going. There are nicer & more feature filled watches out there though.
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My first half, I followed the training schedule to a "t", ate well and was SO nervous. We flew all the way to Virginia Beach and I totally sucked it up. Had to walk probably 1/3 of it. I still finished and I was happy with that. My second half I slacked on the training, but had been teaching a Zumba class 3 nights/week. Zumba saved my butt! The furthest runs I did before the race were only 6 miles long. I ran the whole thing and took over 20 minutes off my first time. I had a blast - even drank 4 beers the day before at the Registration/Expo. I totally enjoyed the second one. I'm not saying ditch your workout. If I do another one, I will definitely find a happy medium for training, just so I feel more prepared. I guess my lesson was: have fun with it. It really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things how you do. Just do it. I want to run another one this summer, for sure!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice, but I'm always up for tossing in my 2 cents! Have done 6 half marathons since 2010 and my next one is coming up at the end of January. I've also run 2 marathons so far (have 3 half marathons and 2 marathons in the race schedule so far this year).

My advice is as follows (am going to try to say things that no one else has so far though I agree with a lot of what has been said, especially about not stopping at 10 miles in training, never missing a long run and not worrying about your time in your first...and BODYGLIDE) but here are some extras:

1. keep your toenails trimmed - you don't think about it necessarily, but I've definitely blooded a couple of my pairs of shoes by heading out for a 15K + run without making sure that my nails were handled.

2. Eat Breakfast...everyday, but especially race day. I had a friend who was too nervous and told me that her stomach would "reject" the peanut butter bagel I gave her. She regretted that for sure!

3. Talk to strangers - I'm a social runner, I love cheering for the best cheering sections, and talking to people, I also comment on cool shoes, funky costumes etc. And it always gets reciprocated, whenever I'm wearing down someone around me ALWAYS says something motivating that keeps me going! (in my first half marathon I stuck with another first timer that I met at the start line and we chatted the whole time, it was awesome!)

4. Prepare your post race- I was VERY sore after my first half, and exhausted, but too sore to be comfortable in napping. Now my routine for treating myself after runs over 20k is set: a) ice bath (seriously, life saver), b) epsom salt warm bath, c) carb filled snackies/meal. After a marathon I'll also slap icy hot back patches on my quads and IT bands, helps to ward off the stiffness!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Great advice above too.

Couple of other methods I've always found useful for half or full that I found years ago.

Feet-time run.
    Calculate your total realistic race time. Better to slightly over than under estimate.
    Divide by 5 for section time. For that much section time each, do the following.
    Walk - run race pace - walk fast - run race pace - walk.
    Combine this with same morning time as race, eating same day before and morning of. Wear the same clothes, shoes, ect.
    You just spent the same amount of time on your feet, without knocking yourself out of training for the next week.
    Great confidence builder, can do it a couple times before a race since you'll probably only need to rest the next day.

24 hr distance run.
    Split the race distance into 3 parts, round up to nearest mile (so 4.37 rounded to 5 miles for half).
    Find 2 days with a 24 hr period where you can do all 3 parts.
    Start and end with normal walking warmup/cooldown for that difference in distance between the true divide by 3 and the rounded up part. (so 5 minus 4.37 is 0.63 for half)
    Race pace for the running part.
    So perhaps Fri evening run - Sat morning run - Sat evening run. I prefer this.
    Or Sat morning - Sat evening - Sun morning.
    Basically in 24 hrs.
    You just did the distance at race pace in a day, to somewhat see the pounding you'll get during the race and does everything work well. This will require a rest day or 2 afterwards, but not nearly as bad as super long training run.
    Great confidence builder again, you just did more than race distance.

Those 2 things have allowed me to train woefully short for half's, and my last marathon in 6 weeks, with no injuries.

And during the race, you know full well you can do it easily. You've done more than the distance, you've done the time.
  • lc52820
    lc52820 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great tips, those are helpful! I'm about to start training for a 10k that I'm running in March & I'm thinking if I do well at it, there is a half marathon coming up in May that I may take a stab at.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of the things I learned in training/completing my first half:

Just as a little pre-note- I started running (for the first time ever) about 3-4 months prior, and did it correctly. Never had an injury other than the regular soreness.

-Take it slow. Do the training plan you have, but if you aren't feeling it one day and just can't motivate yourself, be happy with just two miles, and then do the further distance a following day. We all have off days, don't try to push too hard when you feel like you just can't.
    -Personally, I couldn't handle the consistency of Gu (a LOT of people love it though!) so I ran with the Jelly Belly sports beans
    -Don't drink water every time someone holds out a cup. If you're not thirsty, don't bother. If you are, take advantage. Too much can hurt.
    -Get fitted for proper shoes
    -Always take at least one rest day
    -Cross training is just as important (I did it twice a week)
    -This is a big one that I learned- TRUST YOUR BODY/INSTINCTS. I made the mistake of running in shoes that were shot. Yes, I did track the miles on them, and I only had a little over 175 on these particular shoes. Everyone old me they'd last till 300 miles, and to just run in them anyway. By mile 10 of the race, my feet/knees/joints were hurting like no ones business! And I was fine in training.
    If you think your shoes are shot, get a new pair. at least a few weeks out from race day.
    -Eat a good meal the night before and get plenty of sleep.
    -Have fun and celebrate!! Treat it like any other run (on race day) and talk to people around you. You'll have a great time!

Good luck!
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    Wow! I am really overwhelmed by all the responses! Thank you! I will put it all in consideration as I start hitting the training plan!

I've been putting in at least a couple 4 mile runs a week for over a month, so that's why my training plan picks up where it does. I noticed a couple responders questioning that.

Here's another one: is there shame in hitting a porta potty during the run? I'm so scared of needing to make a "pit stop" if you know what I mean....
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    There's no shame in "taking care of business" on a run, provided you do so in a non-shameful way (privately, in a location designated for the activity like a port-a-potty, not like someone's front yard).

But you might want to find out ahead of time exactly where they are located, if at all. Plan ahead. By then, you'll have done a few long runs and will know how much to drink (or not) and how long you can hold it (or not). I've been stuck out on a long (exposed) run and, well, had to change for the drive home. It's not that big a deal, it happens. But I only race in dark bottoms for that reason - I don't need pictures of that embarassment circulating.
  • aswearingen22
    Options
    No shame at all! I *always* hit the port-a-potty right before I line up for the race, even if I don't think I have to go, just to make sure. I've never had to use one during the race, but I would definitely stop if I had to! It's harder if you want to run with pace groups, you'd have to hurry to catch back up, which would be tough. If you've done your long runs w/o needing one (I've never made a bathroom stop on a long run, but have only run up to 13 miles so far), and you've drank hot coffee/tea prerace to warm up the intestines which should help "clear you out" before you leave the house, then you should be fine! Practice that prerun coffee before your long runs on the weekends, it really does work!;)