Quitting Smoking while Dieting

Options
Has anyone else out there tried to quit smoking while they were dieting? I'm on day two now and not doing to bad. I was really hoping that this would be a great time. That way I wouldn't have to worry about gaining the dreaded weight that almost always comes when you try to quit. Any ideas to make it easier are welcome.

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I have done it.
    For me it actually helped my weightloss a bit because I was also forced to temporarily stop drinking since I associate the two too much. Thus I was consuming less calories. Also, I found that exercise can help the cravings. In general, just staying busy seemed to help.

Good luck.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    I quit smoking about 5 years ago and although I wasn't trying to lose weight at the time, I didn't gain any. The key is to keep yourself busy and with the help of this site stay on target with your calories and you shouldn't have a problem. If you notice yourself munching mindlessly, stop and find something else to do with your time. Doing puzzles helped me get over the hump. Good luck and Congratulations on your healthy decision.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It's on my "to do" list. I've lost almost 50 lbs since October. I thought I could quit smoking and diet at the same time but it was really horrible. I work at home so I have nothing to stop me from lighting up. Every week I think about it and then cave in and buy a carton. It's the most awful thing to try and quit but I am determined to do it this year. At some point. Maybe sooner, maybe later. AH!! I just have to make up up mind to do it like I did with losing weight and working out everyday and I'll be fine. The mind knows when it's ready.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    What helped me is that I signed up for a 1/2 marathon for Oct. 2009. In the midst of training for it early April 2009 I realized that I had to choose between smoking or giving my all for the race. Running as a smoker really sucks. So I decided that was it, the race was more important to me than the cigarettes so I quit cold turkey.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it right now..quit (for the 3rd time) on Jan 1. My only tips are stay busy (idle hands are RJ Reynold's tools) and grapes and blueberries...having snacks that are little pieces like that, to keep my hands and mouth occupied, is really helpful.

Also I used Chantix to help me quit. For me it's a miracle drug.
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    I found it to be a lot easier than I thought. I tried to quit before but only ever lasted 2-3 months at the most. Now, I haven't smoked in four months - to the day to be exact. I didn't gain any weight after I quit. Everyone has different ways of quitting, the point is to find something and to stick with it. I quit cold turkey, but not everyone can do it that way. Keep at it, you'll do great!!
  • jopohle
    jopohle Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I am really determined to make it this time. Day 4 and still going strong. I'm trying to mix up my work outs along with it. Anything to keep my mind and body busy.

Thanks again.