Food Scale?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking into getting a good food scale to weigh portions out since I find it difficult to eyeball, and I was wondering if anyone who has one really finds it all that useful. I don't want to spend the money and then not use it! So, how often do you use it and what do you use it most for if you have one?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one at walmart, it does ounces and grams
    I've used it almost daily for a year
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, best invention ever for a dieter/calorie counter. I use mine multiple times per day
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    wonderful, thanks guys!
  • Paiger
    Paiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have had an OXO brand 11 pound capacity scale for about a year. I've been real happy with it.
    Like you I wasn't sure if I'd use it or if it was necessary etc, but it's an eye opener!
    I use it to help learn (and am still learning) portion sizes for just about every thing I eat and it's useful for measuring ingredients especally flour for baking.
    -Paige
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have been using one for about 8 years now. At first I had to weigh everything but now that I am very good at eyeballing a lot of things like chicken and veggies I mainly use it for dairy, nut butters, oils, etc.

I do use it every day in some capacity though, and I think it's a dieter's best friend. Its really the only accurate way to get a handle on how many calories you are eating.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Picked up one at WalMart, cheap one, analog...used it for a few weeks then went back to WalMart and picked up the digital...haven't looked back since. Use it almost everyday...one of the best purchases I've ever made.
  • naeswirl
    Options
    I purchased one from Walmart for about $19, and it's one of the best investments I made. I should have had one years ago!!
  • naeswirl
    Options
    Oh yes... make sure it's digital!
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My friend and I both have this, and we LOVE it. We use it everyday and it really helps.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Biggest-Loser-Digital-Food-Scale-6.6-lb.-Capacity/11090896
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use one and love it! The oxo we got as a gift was expensive but they can be had for $20ish. Great investment.
  • shortnerdy
    Options
    I have the Starfrit one by Cat Cora I got at Walmart for about 19$ Canadian and I use it ALL THE TIME. No messing with measuring cups and it's more accurate. HIGHLY recommend!!
  • 40andfittlv
    Options
    I have this one from Target and it's great! http://www.target.com/p/digital-food-scale/-/A-11011109#prodSlot=medium_1_8&term=food scales

It allows you to weight your plate and then it deducts the weight of the plate or bowl when you add the food.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use mine daily as well. Go digital, with options for what units it reports back in. Should be able to get one online for $25 if I remember what I paid for mine. I will even bring mine with me when am away from home for a few days.
  • wendyburkett
    Options
    I was glad to see this question/answer here today! I was thinking of purchasing one today but now I know I am going to. Thanks for the great info everyone.
    Wendy
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    My friend and I both have this, and we LOVE it. We use it everyday and it really helps.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Biggest-Loser-Digital-Food-Scale-6.6-lb.-Capacity/11090896

I use the Biggest Loser scale too. Love it!
    It's always on my counter because I weigh everything now.
  • slroggemann
    Options
    the one I was looking at is this one: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B002CM8U06/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

I have amazon credit to use from cashing in textbooks (poor broke college student here) so I want to order from them
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I got one from Groupon that was originally 40some and got it for like 15. I use it everyday, all day. Mine is digital and does all the measurements including fluid ounces. I love it so much.
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    If you have to ask you know the answer. People who are oversize, oversize portions too. Have a great day!
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap little one that I bought at the grocery store for $10...I use it just about every day =)
  • slroggemann
    Options
    currently i measure everything in measuring cups and spoons - kind of a pain. I'm now on amazon looking at various options for scales, really appreciate the feedback everyone!