Afraid of the Scale.

Options
Losing weight, if done right, takes time. A long time. This fact freaks me out a little bit. It fills me with an irrational fear of "the scale". That little inanimate box that sits on my bathroom floor.
I haven't weighed myself in more than two weeks. Every morning when I wake up I think, "Should I weigh myself today? Did I do well yesterday?"
(well meaning: exercised and ate healthy)
The answer to myself is usually, no, I wasn't good enough. Which is very sad, I realize this. But I don't think these thoughts are uncommon. I think it all comes down to vulnerability. That scale makes me feel vulnerable in that it measures my efforts. Well what if I did do well, I exercised and I ate healthy and the scale does not emulate that, what then?
Do I give up, will I give up?
The thought of giving up is the actual fear.

So I'm here to say I WILL NOT GIVE UP! If I have to ignore that scale all the way to my goal weight, I will.

I am to the point where people are notices the changes that I have made and that feeling of recognition is awesome!
The feeling of success will get me past the fear of failure.

Replies

• JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I personally despise the scale, because it LIES to you. Case in point:

I woke up one morning, feeling extra slobby and gross from a bad eating day. I went and got on scale and saw that I had gained 3 pounds from my previous weight- up to 200. I was totally bummed, so I went about my getting ready for the day activities. Suddenly, I heard a voice in my head say "get on the scale again." It was weird, but I did it. Not only had I lost the 3 pounds I had gained, but I had lost an additional pound and a half- down to 196.5. I was tripping out!

In other words, scales are somewhat useful measures, but when used as an approximate gauge, and not holy scripture. I pay more attention to my body changes, like clothing fitting looser and things like that for more accurate measures of how my body is actually doing.

Keep up the work! Getting support on here is one of the best ways to go about getting healthier and stronger :)
  • CrazyAnne
    CrazyAnne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Losing weight, if done right, takes time. A long time. This fact freaks me out a little bit. It fills me with an irrational fear of "the scale". That little inanimate box that sits on my bathroom floor.
    I haven't weighed myself in more than two weeks. Every morning when I wake up I think, "Should I weigh myself today? Did I do well yesterday?"
    (well meaning: exercised and ate healthy)
    The answer to myself is usually, no, I wasn't good enough. Which is very sad, I realize this. But I don't think these thoughts are uncommon. I think it all comes down to vulnerability. That scale makes me feel vulnerable in that it measures my efforts. Well what if I did do well, I exercised and I ate healthy and the scale does not emulate that, what then?
    Do I give up, will I give up?
    The thought of giving up is the actual fear.

So I'm here to say I WILL NOT GIVE UP! If I have to ignore that scale all the way to my goal weight, I will.

I am to the point where people are notices the changes that I have made and that feeling of recognition is awesome!
    The feeling of success will get me past the fear of failure.

I feel the same way sometimes. I would go by how you feel and not what the scale says. Little steps lead to change too!
  • klyla928
    Options
    I'm going to focus on taking pictures once a week so I can SEE the change without the number.

However, the school district I work for is doing a health challenge, so I will be weighing in weekly.