Desk Job

Options
I have a desk job. I am a receptionist. I am trying to find some exercises I can do at my desk that aren't "Jumping jacks, push ups etc" I need chair exercises.

Replies

• HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You could try resistance bands; either for your arms or legs. Also, I have an exercise ball that I sit on instead of my desk chair at least half of the day. When I have a min here and there I do a few crunches on it.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You could try resistance bands; either for your arms or legs. Also, I have an exercise ball that I sit on instead of my desk chair at least half of the day. When I have a min here and there I do a few crunches on it.

A friend of mine said that about the ball too. But my thing is the guys at my job are all pervs. And my office is right out in the open, no walls or anywhere to put the chair.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I am a receptionist. I am trying to find some exercises I can do at my desk that aren't "Jumping jacks, push ups etc" I need chair exercises.

Many of us has desk jobs. Don't need to exercise at work. Just get up periodically, walk around. Take the stairs when possible. Part far away. Walk during lunch. Many things you can do without resorting to working out sitting at your desk.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Desk job here too. I try to get up every hour and take a walk down the hall. Also, when I heat up my lunch or breakfast, I move around while waiting. Side steps, some lunges, or squats if no one is around!!! LOL Before winter hit, I walked on my lunch half hour.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Options
    No stairs in my building, only 4 parking spots at my job. All right in front of the office & you are not allowed to park on the road. And I work right under the freeway, so there really isn't anywhere for me to walk except in my office.
  • tekkguy
    tekkguy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink lots and lots of extra water while at work, and every time I need to use the restroom, I walk around the entire building. It's a fairly small building, but doing this adds about 2 miles of walking to my day.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Do you work 24/7? Why not just work out after or before work. Sitting on a ball all day isn't going to change your life.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job, but it takes care of itself because it's a little over 2 miles from my house and I walk to work.

I've seen this suggested for home use by someone else on the forums for light exercise while feeding your internet addiction. Depending on your desk and how cool your office manager is with it, it might work for you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Folding-Upper-Lower-Body-Cycle-with-Monitor/17299064
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and it's not really acceptable to take a lunch break, so I'll get up and stretch every now and then and sometimes do jumping jacks in the bathroom. However, after sitting around all day the last thing I want to do is go home and sit around at home, so I get some great workouts in during the week.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    You can do dips using your chair. This will help build toned arms and tri's.
    As everyone else recommended, try walking around as much as possible.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I did a quick google search. The following ideas I found from the Livestrong website. It's true, as some have said, you won't get a killer workout at your desk, but if you're trying to get a little more activity in your day, maybe some of these will help. If not...then I guess just workout before or after work. Good luck.

Glute Clenches
    Glute clenches will help improve the tone and shape of your butt even while you sit at your desk. Simply squeeze your glutes as tight as you can. Hold the squeeze for two seconds, relax then repeat the squeeze. Complete these 20 short clenches -- and then clench and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat the sequence several times throughout the day.

Stomach Vaccuum
    This exercise will help you discretely strengthen and condition your abdominal muscles. Sit in your chair with your back straight. Hollow your stomach by pulling your belly button toward your spine as far as possible. Maintain this position for five to 10 seconds, breathing normally throughout the exercise. Repeat 10 to 15 times.

Knee Lifts
    Knee lifts also target the abdominal muscles as well as the hip flexors. Sit in your chair with your stomach muscles stabilized and your back straight. Maintaining this position, lift your right knee 4 inches. Concentrate on using your abdomen for the movement. Slowly lower your leg and repeat with your left knee. Continue to alternate legs moving in a slow controlled fashion until you have completed 10 to 20 lifts with each leg.

Leg Flexion
    Leg flexion allows you to discretely work your hamstring muscles on the back of your thigh. Sit in your chair with your knees bent to 90 degrees and your feet flat on the floor. Press your right foot into the floor while contracting your hamstrings as if you were drawing your heel toward your butt, except your foot maintains its position on the floor. Hold the contraction for 30 seconds then repeat the exercise with your left leg.

Foot Rock
    This exercise works the muscles of the lower leg, particularly the triceps surae and tibialis anterior. While sitting tall in your chair, position your legs to 90 degrees and place your feet flat on the floor. Press the balls of your feet into the floor to lift your heels as high as possible. Squeeze your calves at the top of the movement. Lower your heels back to the floor and immediately lift your toes 1 to 2 inches off the floor so that the muscle on the front of your shin is fully contracted. Lower your toes back to the floor. Continue to "rock" your feet back and forth until you have completed 10 to 20 lifts to the front and back.

Arm Press
    This exercise targets the triceps muscles on the back of the upper arm. Rest your forearms on your desk so that your arms are bent to 90 degrees. Sit tall and stabilize your abdomen. Maintain this position and press your forearms into the top of your desk as if you were straightening your elbows. Hold this position for 30 seconds then relax. Next, place your arms beneath your desk with your palms up. Press your arms into the desk to contract your biceps and hold for 30 seconds before relaxing.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/513012-discrete-exercises-you-can-do-sitting-in-a-chair/#ixzz2HJ1lGVBn
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I try to make up for it on the weekends by adding another workout each day. I will also park far away, take stairs, and drink plenty of water while staying away from unhealthy snacks. I saw it suggested to do a few chair dips here and there, sounds good to me!
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    No stairs in my building, only 4 parking spots at my job. All right in front of the office & you are not allowed to park on the road. And I work right under the freeway, so there really isn't anywhere for me to walk except in my office.
    i hope you find some stuff you can do at your desk, but i will say that i had that same job for years and i finally made the effort and got up early to do 30 min cardio every day. it made a world of difference. My suggestion would be one of those things that looks like bike pedals but you turn it with your hands and arms... they use those on biggest loser and i know they get your heart pumping fast.

LOL i was going to jokingly suggest shake weights LOL, but that would really get your perves in an uproar LOL sorry i can't help myself it's funny.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too, and whereas until recently, I just sort of accepted inactivity, I'm adding some steps into my life...

- I keep my Brita filter in a friend's fridge - so every time I drain my cup, I have to walk over to her office to refill it.
    - I have a reminder on my phone that goes off every two hours (will go off in 18 more minutes, in fact) to tell me it's time to get up and take a walk. Sometimes I use that as an excuse to make a lap around the building, if I have time. If I don't, I just go get more water, or go to the restroom. But, hey, at least I'm moving. (I have to do this because I had a blood clot, and, similar to when I'm traveling, I have to get in the habit of stopping every couple hours to avoid developing one from being in the same position for too long.)
    - There's a couple of us girls who, when it's nice outside, go out during lunch. But, it's freakin' cold right now, so, that's out. Sometimes we just take a lap around the building inside. :)
    - I'll often pace when I'm alone in the kitchenette warming up my lunch. :) Or if I'm on my cell in the hall (I have to go in the hall to get reception). Pacing isn't that many steps but a little bit of exercise is a little bit of exercise.
    - One trick I used to always use in a previous job (and I need to use here) ... use a bathroom that's farther away. :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

A friend of mine said that about the ball too. But my thing is the guys at my job are all pervs. And my office is right out in the open, no walls or anywhere to put the chair.

This may be a way to use the Swiss ball idea without it looking quite as perverse (to those with a dirty mind).

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Fitness+ball+desk+chair&qpvt=Fitness+ball+desk+chair&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=E903DDA766367C953F5EA54B865E1F2A5D95E35A&selectedIndex=1

You could also put a Bosu ball on an armless desk chair and sit on it. Might be a little less obvius than a Swiss ball.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Bosun+ball&qpvt=Bosun+ball&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=7EDFFC3502AD451E44D14337DE90E94DAB8BBDC4&selectedIndex=85

Don't know that either one of these ideas will really burn that many more calories than just sitting at your desk, but it is supposed to help strengthen your core and help you feel more energetic.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Options
    Do you work 24/7? Why not just work out after or before work. Sitting on a ball all day isn't going to change your life.

I have a 2 yr old at home, and go to school 3 nights a week and I go to group meetings because I was involved in domestic violence. So please tell me when I should fit in working out when I sit on my *kitten* at work. Thank you very much. I know sitting on a ball isn't going to change my life. But if I can do some exercises at work where there is no fitness equipment, then I would like some advice.
  • CarlaMichelle
    CarlaMichelle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You can do dips using your chair. This will help build toned arms and tri's.
    As everyone else recommended, try walking around as much as possible.
    and if your chair rolls then you can do it on your desk
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    get some ankle weights and do some leg extensions under the table...both legs together...one leg, other leg...both legs etc ...it's what I do in lessons !
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and it's not really acceptable to take a lunch break,

That's unusual.
  • bigdaddyfluff
    bigdaddyfluff Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a loan officer. One of the things I use is hand grip exercises. You can find a cheap pair at walmart with little resistance. It doesn't burn a ton of calories but can add definition to your arms and keep you motivated throughout the day to do something when you get off.