Things I've learned so far (2 months of exercise)

Options
This is from my blog, I just wanted to share it with others. These are just a few things I've learned along my way so far. Please feel free to add things you may have learned to add on. We can all learn from eachother.

TOO MUCH EXERCISE is not a good thing! When I first started out I was doing an hour of cardio 6 days a week plus weight lifting, keeping my heart rate at 80-90% of max!!! I really thought if I could just do more and more cardio I'd lose faster, well, my body does not work well if I abuse it... LOL Now I'm doing 30 mins of fat burn exercise, keeping my heart rate between 60-75% of it's max with an hour of weight lifting- 5 days a week. I'm seeing results and I'm able to do alot more than when I first started!

CHANGE IT UP when I stop "feeling" my workout. Some people put a time frame on this. I find that if I change my exercise up after I stop feeling that soreness from a good work out I see more results. Sometimes I change it after only a week, sometimes a few weeks, when it comes to my legs I must change it up ALOT I've even changed it twice in one week.

REST DAYS are soooo important! When I first started I thought, yeah, sure, I can bust my butt 6-7 days a week, I don't need to rest... boy oh boy was I wrong. My body got tired, really really tired! I realized I needed to take a break when I was wanting to go to bed at 7pm! Now I rest 2 days a week, on those days I do yoga at home. I find that weighing myself after a rest day is the best. I do keep some water when I workout hard, no matter how much water I drink! I think this is because I'm doing a lot of weight training! From 1-1 1/2 hours of weights 5 days a week is alot for me :-) But I must say, I do like what I'm seeing.

I WILL NEVER have a runner's body. I just won't, and I can live with that. I'm not trying to be mean or offend anyone, but runner's just have that "skinny" long build! I've always had shapely thighs and curves, even when I was in high school at 95 LBS. What I will have by the end of this is a very athletic looking body with muscle definition. I won't even go into all the studies on different body builds, but there are a ton.

CALORIES are not as important to track as the carb/fat/protien ratio's. Well, for me this works. I find that when I'm looking at my totals of carb, fat, protien for the day I DON'T go over on calories. It is so important not to just look at calories and fat. I have reset MFP %'s to 20 carbs, 50 protien, and 30 fat. It's not for everyone, but this is what is working for me. When I first started out I couldn't handle not eatting protien. MPF was way way too low for me.

RESEARCH all the time! I don't take everything I hear about weight loss to heart. There are so many different opinions out there. Sometimes people are soooo dead set against what I may be doing. I've even heard from other's at the gym I don't need to lose weight! I've been told as much protien I eat is going to make me gain a ton of weight. I've been told I need to do more cardio than 30 mins a day. I've been told workingout 5 days a week may not be a good idea...etc. I ask what other's think, but I also do my own research.

WALK IN LIKE YOU OWN IT. Yep, when I hit the gym I have a total attitude about myself. When I first started going I was so shy, didn't quite know how to workout or what todo. I felt kinda stupid. Now when I walk into the gym I have the confidence to try new things, even if I look like a total retard or fail my first time. LOL I kinda have to be "pushy" when I go to the gym also. I go to a military gym. I'll just say the staff isn't there to "earn" your business like in a regular gym. You have to be very direct and to the point when you try to ask a question. Well, for me anyway. I am almost 29 years old, but most of the time people think I'm only 19 or 20! That may have something to do with it. I also like to work with free weights alot. When I go that is total man land... LOL I have to move in quick to get what I want and ask people to move their towels off equipment they aren't using. I have to be to the point and confident. So yes when I'm in the gym, I walk in like I own the place :-)

Well, that's all my thoughts for now. I look forward to learning more along my way and I'm excited for my new way of life. It really has carried over to everyday life. I feel like I can do anything I set my mind to. ANYTHING :-)

Replies

• shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This blog was awesome. Thanks for posting it :)
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned about a goal of 20% carbs. Carbohydrates are your power source! They provide the body with the fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function. It is recommended that the lowest percent of calories from carbs be 45%.
  • mtrnlarson
    mtrnlarson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is helpful information.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit concerned about a goal of 20% carbs. Carbohydrates are your power source! They provide the body with the fuel it needs for physical activity and for proper organ function. It is recommended that the lowest percent of calories from carbs be 45%.

Who recommended this? what's your source? It looks like it's working out for her, she's got a great body going on! I don't eat 45% cals from casrbs, my a** would be gigantic if I did, she's already stated that she's doing what works for her. Keep up the great work...but I'm a runner, big time, I run 10k's 3 days a week...no skinny lanky a** here! lol, I'm a huge weight lover, like you, it's what's going to transform your body from skinny to fantabulously toned!