Girls, I need some advice!

Options

Replies

• mlmsimmons
    Options
    I'm sure the "cookie jar" is just a metaphor (some people are so literal, geesh!!)
    I am not sure what your situation is but for me I went to see an Endocrinologist for some other issues and she put me on a prescription for MetFormin, OTC D3 and OTC B12. I'm not sure of the science behind it but this has all but chilled out those cravings for anything sweet during my period. I live in Fla and this prescription med is one of the free ones at the Publix Grocery Store, not sure if free meds are only here or across the country.

Hope this helps!!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Your body might be looking for various nutrients. Try adding a multivitamin to your diet. =)

THIS!!!!!!

Chocolate is what I crave during TOM because I am slightly anemic to begin with. Chocolate is a great source of IRON!

I would definitely start a multivitamin. I usually make it through as long as I am taking mine.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Like with any other time, planning. I keep single servings of chocolate in the freezer. When I feel all crave-y, I take one, go sit somewhere quiet and literally let it melt in my mouth. Add a glass of water and it's all under control.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My cravings aren't as bad as some folks, but when I know that time is coming (like right now) I get 60 calorie chocolate jello pudding, chocolate protein powder (for my shakes) and 70% cacao chocolate (it's so rich that I can barely eat one piece and it's only 70 calories). I may not eat a single one of these things, but at least I know that if the craving does hit, I'll something in the cupboard besides my stupid skinny husband's mounds of candy to tempt me.

Failure to plan is a plan to fail. :flowerforyou:
  • BubblySharon
    BubblySharon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    noooooooooooooooooo not another TOM post, My head is going to explode!!!!

For one week every 28 days, there seems to be an increase in threads of this nature.......:huh:

Yes, because we are all on the same cycle!

HAHAHA No doubt eh? If we were all on the same cycle, the men would run for the hills!!
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I either eat the cookies

or murder my family

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So true, right? I am not sure how I'm going to handle my first shark week while eating healthy. I guess I have to not refill that cookie jar. OR perhaps allow myself a package of Reeses (my downfall) and be done with it.

Now that I've given up soda for the past 6 days, I have also seen my chocolate intake cut down to zero, too. I seem to have one with the other....I'll report back at the end of the month. :tongue:
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    lol don't buy cookies! Instead try 100 calories packs thats what I do it helps. Kellogs makes the new crispy chocholate wafers...so good.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My trick. Cave in. BUT.... don't indulge. When I have a craving for something, I eat it. Why? Because I don't want to hate my "diet". I'm trying to live a healthy lifestyle but this does not mean that I can never have a soda or candy bar. Have A candy bar, or a FEW cookies, but stop there. The easiest way to do this is to not have those foods in your house. If I am craving a candy bar, I will go buy one, and only one and I don't keep any stocked up in the house. You'd be amazed at how one candy bar can satisfy that craving.

Good luck!

I don't have a lot of cravings during that time of the month, but this.
    Buy a chocolate bar. Buy a really good one. Eat it, log it, and keep it at or below your TDEE.

One candy bar a month is not going to ruin your progress.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    noooooooooooooooooo not another TOM post, My head is going to explode!!!!

For one week every 28 days, there seems to be an increase in threads of this nature.......:huh:

Yes, because we are all on the same cycle!

HAHAHA No doubt eh? If we were all on the same cycle, the men would run for the hills!!

Half the women on my FL are on the same cycle, I discovered.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    How does the cookie jar keep getting re-filled?

There is no logic during shark week.

I actually gaffaw'd.
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    YES! I think it happens to all of us. Some just don't like to admit it, or they're just strange. I crave brownies particularly. But I don't feel bad about it anymore. Just have one, and go on with your day. It's not going to ruin your life or anything! :)
  • literaryweasel
    Options
    How do you keep your hands out of the cookie jar during that wonderful time of the month?
    I will be doing so good all month, then a day before, boom!, I must have chocolate, cookies, cake, chips, ect..
    I feel like crap because I indulge for about three days as my hormones go crazy, and then it take a day or two to get myself back on track.

Do y'all have the same problem? If so, do you have any tricks to keeps those fingers out of the cookie jar? lol Thankx!

Ohhh, do I have the same problem. Portion control doesn't work for me. If the food is there, I want to eat it. All. So what I end up doing is not buying very much junk food, and changing into pajamas or something when I get home so I'm not tempted to go back out and get some. I also love to bake, so I end up making a batch of cookies or something and immediately package up at least 80% of the batch to send to friends so I don't eat all of it.

If I do have a day where I just cannot help myself, I forgive that one day and try to accommodate it in the rest of the week. One day over won't kill you, but it takes some willpower not to make it two, three, four days. Keep your goal in mind and know that this craving will pass, and you won't die if you don't have chocolate for four days before your period!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Oral contraceptives.
  • BreakingBackSunday
    BreakingBackSunday Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There were leftover Reese's Bells in my house last night when this problem arose. Now they are in my tummy. I'm the kind of person who always gives in to the TOM craving. I've finally learned to stop feeling guilty about it, work out harder to make up for it, and accept that one day with a bellyful of Bells (or cookies, or ice cream, or everythingsweetthatisn'tnaileddown) isn't going to ruin all the great progress I make the other 29 or 30 days out of the month.
  • Ashleyyyb93
    Options
    I think if you're doing well all month, then there's nothing wrong with a treat...as long as you can get to the point where you say "ok, I have had enough now". When I was alot bigger, I never reached that point and so I got to the stage where I had to cut it out completely. It all depends on how much control you think you have.

Another alternative would be to keep snacks like that out of the home completely and when TOM comes...you go to the shop and treat yourself to something small. That way...when you go home, you haven't got that temptation there...

Just a thought :)

I know how it feels...I always crave chocolate!!! :) x x x
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I find that if I am ravenous for anything its because my body is lacking something. Unfortunately, its sometimes hard to figure out exactly what that is. If your cravings come 3 days before your TOM, then focus on making exceptionally nutritious choices a few days before that. Eat a wide variety of colorful fruits and veggies with lean proteins. Go into the most difficult time of the month with your body being well fed and ready to tackle the cravings.

Do you take a multivitamin? Maybe start taking one daily with a balanced meal to ensure your body has what it needs.
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    LMAF this!!

There is no logic during shark week.
    [/quote]
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling and it's because you're body is searching for iron actually. That's what someone told me but I find I don't eat as much during the first three days so... I think it evens out somehow.

And I noticed someone saying something evil crampies, my stepmom pointed out that caffiene is the big culprit. I stopped getting cramps and have no desire to drink pop coffee or eat chocolate during that time of month and the evil cramps stopped. Bloating on the other hand but it's just water retention.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Oral contraceptives.

I definitely don't crave THOSE.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How does the cookie jar keep getting re-filled?

this! I have "kid snacks" and "grown up snacks" in two different cupboards very very far from one another :) i admit that during that week i may have a triple serving of finding nemo fruit snacks!! It gets easier each time i shop to try and re-focus their treats to be the least damaging (to the waistline) when mommy gets cravings.
    good luck with the extra will power... it takes practice like all else :)