Help! Where Do I Go From Here?!?

I have been learning alot from reading posts however not sure if I am headed in the right direction for calorie intake.
SW:254
Height:5'8:
GW:160
Would like to loose 2lbs a week if possible
Have desk job but work out at least 3x a week/take dog out for at least an hour a day exercise
When I calculated my TDEE the number was: 2671
MFP Suggests I take in 1380 calories a day.
Will this work? I am so confused.
Thank you in advance for any help :)

Sorry to add my BMR is 1943. Thank you :)

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Where did you get the BMR number from?

1300 cals seems low. But if you told MFP that you want to lose 2 pounds per week, it would subtract 1000 calories from MFP's calculated TDEE.
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Where did you get the BMR number from?

1300 cals seems low. But if you told MFP that you want to lose 2 pounds per week, it would subtract 1000 calories from MFP's calculated TDEE.

The calculations are from a fitgirl website. I am not sure how to work MFP completely yet so I dont know where to find the TDEE here. I am so lost with all these calculations however I see so many posts about this and I want to be in the right direction. People weigh weekly and I know this week there hasnt been a change. Either way I am also going to take measurements.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Well, the tool here on MFP calls it BMR but then it also asks you what your activity level is, so it is a TDEE estimate, they just don't call it that.

MFP calculates so that you will lose weight with no exercise, and then when you do exercise, you have to log it and eat more for fuel. So, if you eat 1380, plus log your daily hour walks, say you burn 300 calories walking, then you would eat 1380 +300 or 1680.

This would be in line with taking your TDEE of 2671 - 1,000 (for 2 pounds a week loss).

Or set your goal manually for 1680 and do not worry about eating back exercise calories. Just eat that amount every day regardless of your exercise.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Well, the tool here on MFP calls it BMR but then it also asks you what your activity level is, so it is a TDEE estimate, they just don't call it that.

MFP calculates so that you will lose weight with no exercise, and then when you do exercise, you have to log it and eat more for fuel. So, if you eat 1380, plus log your daily hour walks, say you burn 300 calories walking, then you would eat 1380 +300 or 1680.

This would be in line with taking your TDEE of 2671 - 1,000 (for 2 pounds a week loss).

Or set your goal manually for 1680 and do not worry about eating back exercise calories. Just eat that amount every day regardless of your exercise.

THIS

If you tried to eat 1200 cals a day, since you have almost 100lbs to lose, you probably will be tired and hungry and more likely to binge. 1680 will probably provide you a better chance at a consistent and doable weight loss plan.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    1680 would still be well below your BMR. I know it's scary, but I would really go by the TDEE-20% rule. If nothing else, eat your BMR+exercise calories. I'm eating 1800 calories a day and do almost no cardio (I'm 5'8" and about 228lbs and just started StrongLifts).

Because I'm lazy, I use the google doc that someone created. It's an amazing spreadsheet in which you enter measurements, weight, exercise, and it uses the TDEE method to tell you what your calorie goal should be.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • Strength2Succeed
    Strength2Succeed Posts: 126 Member
    Excellent. I find that now I am exercising more and even eating back my calories I am still hungry, like you said my calories currently being set at 1380 without exercise is too low. I will try the increase. Thank you so much :)