LBS VS. INCHES??

Options
Hello! I have stayed the same weight for pretty much this whole week. I am exercising and under my calories but I havent been losing. I also feel smaller maybe like ive lost inches. Is this possible? Anyone experience this too??

Replies

• craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It's a fairly common thing. Take measurements now so you can track them in the future.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. The scale won't always change but measurements would. Measurements are the best thing to use to track your progress because the scale can lie for a lot of reasons.

It sucks when you don't lose your first week but you won't lose each week. It could be water retention masking fat loss.
  • ebazz2334
    Options
    They go hand-in-hand during fat loss. Once you start weight training, your weight will increase, due to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Inches of muscle are longer than inches of fat....
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. The scale won't always change but measurements would. Measurements are the best thing to use to track your progress because the scale can lie for a lot of reasons.

It sucks when you don't lose your first week but you won't lose each week. It could be water retention masking fat loss.

well said :)
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    possible....

muscle weighs more than fat!
  • pig2twig1992
    Options
    I'm sticking with inches for the next 6 months and not weighing myself (I am without scales and too scared to do it in public!) It'll be interesting to see if its more motivational or whatever!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    First, it depends on how far under your calories you are. Too far under and your body will hold onto whatever it can and you will not lose weight. Always try to stick as close as possible to the MFP recommended calories. Also, make sure any calories you burn from exercise you are eating back (for anyone who disagrees with this, please read the forums to understand how MFP does calculations). Also, as others noted, you may not always lose weight, but you may start losing inches around the body. It's good to capture measurements and weights. Also, always keep in mind that if you are doing weight training, you will be replacing fat with muscle, so in some cases you can see a weight increase, but have no fear if you are following your MFP goals. Good luck and enjoy!
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I would measure and forget the scale. I have found that I have lost many inches, but my weight stays the same. If you want you can weigh yourself once a month, but I would definitely measure and even take a picture of yourself and then every month continue to take a picture until you have reached your goal.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Taking measurements is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going when my weight loss is stalling or slowing way down... It's my saving grace and keeps me going in those times. :) Start measuring!
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have stayed the same weight for pretty much this whole week. I am exercising and under my calories but I havent been losing. I also feel smaller maybe like ive lost inches. Is this possible? Anyone experience this too??

Give it time - both for weight and measurments. Weight and girth loss is not instant. Give it at least a month!

Water retention (which can happen often, and for many reasons) can be a b to the scale, but there is also a lot of user error that can go into measurments - being an inch off from where you last measured could equal a higher number too. Long term trends is the way to go :)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    possible....

*kitten*! People are going to believe I said that!
  • mayamagallanes
    mayamagallanes Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Makes sense guys! THANKS! I'm trying to get down to my senior year 155lbs. I was a size 3/5 and im 5'4". I believe im pretty muscular because I was pretty little compared to my weight only looking about 120-125. AHHH FURUSTRATED!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Give it time - both for weight and measurments. Weight and girth loss is not instant. Give it at least a month!

Water retention (which can happen often, and for many reasons) can be a b to the scale, but there is also a lot of user error that can go into measurments - being an inch off from where you last measured could equal a higher number too. Long term trends is the way to go :)

I'm glad someone is paying attention. One week is not necessarily enough time to really see a lot of change. You could see change in lbs or ins, but many people need at least two weeks of proper exercise and/or diet to see real changes.
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Inches > Weight :)

lost 4 1/2 inches off my waist first month...

but only drop 15-20lbs that month..

don't let the scale discourage you young padawan...
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    possible....

*kitten*! People are going to believe I said that!
    Yet you did say it....whats on the internet is always true!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

How much are you expecting to lose in a week? Are you weighing yourself daily? Don't: it's normal to fluctuate from day to day and throughout the month.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I really hope one day you learn how to find out answers for yourself.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    First month always has alot of ups and downs due to water weight, just be sure to weigh yourself the same time every week and stay positive :)