Breakfast Smoothies--want help

Options
I want to start making smoothies for breakfast. I have seen some frozen fruits like strawberry/banana that I could put in it. I just don't know do you use yogurt, milk, etc? Do you add extra vitamin supplements in or?

Help appreciated

Replies

• nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    u can start of with frozen fruits or regular ones, with some skim milk and slenda or sugar to sweeten if youd like. i myslef, just bought me some protein powder for my morning smoothies. tried them years ago, before i had kids, and it helped my weight loss. play with it til its right for you and/or look up recipes online :)
  • Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You can do pretty much anything you want, given it fits your goals for calories, carbs, protein, etc.
    A basic formula for a breakfast smoothie is one scoop of your favorite protein powder, some skim milk or almond milk, and any frozen fruit you enjoy. Some people add ice if they want a slushier texture. Some people also like to add oatmeal or peanut butter. It's really entirely up to you. Experiment with textures until you find one you really like that keeps you full until lunch :)

I'm sure you'll get plenty of recipe suggestions on this thread, but if not.. just search "Smoothie recipes" and you're sure to find countless ideas.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use 8 oz almond milk, 2 or 3 whole strawberries or 4 pieces of peach (I use frozen, it comes out at about 1/2 c.), and 1 teaspoon of whey powder. I drink it to offset the taste of vitamin suppliments. I can't recommend what suppliments, because I went to a nutritionist who ran bloodwork to find out what I was deficiant in. Good luck! :D
  • OhioVickieT
    OhioVickieT Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know you may not like the sound of it, but trying making it with raw spinach. The fruit covers up the taste of the spinach and this why you will get more nutrients to start your day. My fave by far is spinach (prefer that over any other greens), frozen pineapple, banana, water and i also add flax seed for my omegas. Good luck!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Milk, frozen fruits (berries are low calories), spinach, protein powder and the secret ingredient... cottage cheese.

I hate cottage cheese, but blended up it's great. I gave up greek yogurt.
  • BarbCook12
    Options
    I drink Herbalife shakes with added protein or fruit. I get 24 grams of protein and its a perfect blend of carbs, fats and proteins. It also keeps me full and I like the easy breezy of it.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I make this at home for breakfast a lot:

1 banana
    3-4 strawberries
    8oz orange juice
    Sometimes I will throw in a handful of blueberries

Toss it all in a blender for a few seconds and voila!
    Only 165 calories for a 16oz glass!

Non-dairy and soooo yummy!
  • hayleycreates
    hayleycreates Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have one of those "Magic Bullet" Mixers - which I LOVE, so I can take a smoothie on the go no problem.

I usually use a combination of the following for my base:

Skim Milk (1/2 Cup - 1Cup)
    1/2 a scoop of Vanilla 100% Whey Protien Powder
    1-2 tbsp of 0% - 2% Greek Yogurt (Plain or Vanilla) Whatever I have on hand.

I'll then mix and match usually from the following:

Peanut Butter & Banana
    Instant Coffee
    Cocoa Powder or Hot Chocolate Powder (Watch the calories though)
    Berries
    Orange Juice
    Frozen Fruit Mixes (Berries/Tropical etc)

Those are just my basics, I like to have them quickly and I don't have the time to be fussy. These all make pretty yummy combos, so I'm happy with that.

Good Luck!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I used to do them, I would use a banana, frozen berries, skim milk and protein powder, sometimes I would use yogurt as well. They are a good meal replacement if made correctly so you can be full for a few hours.
  • lamos1
    lamos1 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Everyday I am always making some type of concoction with my smoothies. This morning bought some Kale, so I had that with plain greek yogurt, Mixed berries, half a scoop of vanilla protein powder, some honey, water and some Flax seed oil.

I usually do the spinach, but decided to use Kale today. I like the spinach better though. Sometimes I use milk, coconut milk, or water. You could use fruit juice. I always use Yogurt though. Banana's are good and I love frozen blueberries. You can just about put anything in a smoothie.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    here is what I put into my morning shakes,

Water (about a cup)
    Yogurt
    Frozen Fruits,
    Flax Seeds
    Banana
    Peanut butter

or when I feel like being green

Yogurt
    Milk
    Lots of Baby Spinach
  • Larzp
    Larzp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I get pretty creative with my smoothies - usually some combination of pomegranate kefir, pasteurized liquid egg whites, pomegranate or dark cherry juice, some canned morrello cherries, a small banana, Met-RX protein powder, Trader Joe's Red Juice powder, chia seeds, Garden of Life Super Seed mix, a spash of orange juice, sometimes a little coconut water. PM me if you want proportions. I'm going for protein, antioxidants, fiber, and potassium with this mix.
  • livitup85
    livitup85 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This morning my smoothie consisted of:

3/4 cup of plain no fat yogurt (you can substitute Greek yogurt)
    1 tablespoon of ground flaxseeds
    1/2 banana
    4 large frozen strawberries
    1/4 cup of frozen blueberries
    1/4 cup of frozen raspberries
    1 measured cup of protein whey powder of your choice
    a splash of juice to help with blending
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I usually use frozen fruit and skim milk and then mix in a packet of splenda and some vanilla protein powder. Sometimes I throw in some powdered Peanut butter (PB2), depending on the kind of smoothie
  • AbbyLynne2246
    Options
    I do a really easy smoothie...

1/2 cup frozen fruits
    1/4 cup orange juice
    100g Plain or Vanilla Yogurt

I then add a little milk to make it less thick (like as much as scrambled eggs)

Presto Delicious at less than 200 calories.
  • saralito
    Options
    Pumpkin Pie Smoothie:

1/2 c. Pumpkin puree
    1/2 c. plain greek yogurt
    1/2 c. fat free milk

1/4 t. nutmeg
    1/4 t. cinnamon
    1/8 t. allspice
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love Spinach in my smoothies. I usually just use 4-6 ice cubes, 1 cup of milk or almond milk, 2 bananas, and 2 hand scopes of spinach. If you have additional fruits, you can throw them in as well. and blend until it has a smooth consistancy :)

You cant go wrong, all trial and error
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I simply add frozen berries, a banana, 2% milk and 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder (body fortress brand), some ice and blend

sometimes I'll put starbucks via (their instant coffee) in it, which is also really good
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I try to watch my carbs so here is my breakfast smoothie

non fat dannon greek yogurt (has the lowest sugar I have found)
    EAS vanilla protein powder
    ice
    frozen rasberries or blackberries
    splenda
    water

they are good enough where my 8 yr old will drink them. :-)
  • FyrrBird
    Options