Coming Back

Options
Last May I joined with a goal of dropping from 240 to 205 (I'm 6'1, it's a good weight..yada yada). In the beginning of July I was down to 218, but broke my knee cap and sprained my MCL/ACL playing hockey. (A guy my size and myself both fell onto my right knee as we crashed into the boards...so nearly 400 pounds landing on one knee onto ice/plexiglass) Needless to say I wasn't able to work out for two months, but instead of keeping up my healthy eating habits I slipped. I used it as an excuse, and once it was better (not fully healed, still not there...probably will never get there) I stayed away from the gym and ate like an idiot. I ballooned back up to 249 pounds.

On Christmas day my 18 month old nurse pointed at my chest when I was trying on a present and said Boobs! Boobs! Haha...while I really don't have man boobs at all, it was the wake up call I needed. I'm back on my eating healthy and just re-activated my gym membership today. So far, just by cutting the crap out of my diet and getting back to my 1800 calorie diet I've dropped back down to 244 in a week. This time, no excuses...time to get to 210 and get toned.

Replies

• tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're already getting back on track. You can do this!! Just be careful with that knee. A friend of mine had the same injury from football and still isn't the same after a few years. Just have to take it slow and steady.
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That kind of injury does set back a lot of people. But coming back from it will be worth it.

And now you know how girls feel like around some guys... they seems to just stare, point and say "boobs." :)
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It sounds great that you're back here! :D You can do it!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Having done both ACLs and MCLs I can commiserate but you're here, you sound motivated enough, now go get some..

:smile:
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can do it man! Just be careful with workouts that works your knees especially leg and cardio routines.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I know its hard especially when you have things that come up in life. Glad your back though! I lost 46 pounds with this program. Before that I weighed 350 lbs and lost that on my own so trust me I know all about motivation, I am at 166 lbs. Boobs how funny bro yes toning up is needed. Well you got a postive attitude and this site is awesome the support you get makes you keep on striving.

Nadia
  • jayenomics
    jayenomics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. When I play hockey the knee is fine, but I've ran three times and done some legs and each time my knee balloons up for the rest of the day. It's not painful it just swells. I know I need to strengthen my knee slowly and carefully, and I'm trying to.

Right now my goal is 15-20 minutes of cardio, then strength training for 20-40 minutes. I'd love to grow the Cardio to 30, then 40, and so on until an hour. Hopefully me knee will keep healing and really get back to how it used to be. Crazy thing is I haven't lost much strength in my legs. I leg pressed 300 in reps before the injury (400 max) and today I easily did reps of 210 (first time back doing it so I didn't want to get crazy)

I guess it will just be a slow process, but I'm game. I want to live well until my 90s at least. I've got a lot of living to do.